Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teenage children in saudi???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theycallmesusie1974

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Teenage children in saudi??? Reply with quote

I have been looking into teenage kids in saudi....husband has been offered a job, and he is going. I will be the trailing spouse for a bit with the kids, then hopefully catching up, but a big question....

I had heard that teenage foreign kids were not allowed on iqamas, that the iqamas would be denied when the kids got to high school age.

Then I heard that this law was stopped in 97-98 when 9-12th grades were added in the private schools.

We homeschool and plan to continue, and have heard that homeschooling teens was not allowed......, and maybe homeschooling period.

Does anyone have any definites on this??

Does it depend on where you are from/religious background/etc.???

I was hoping for a long tour and our plans regarding the house we own in a second country might change, as our employment plans

Thank you,

Susie
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: teenage children Reply with quote

Teenage children can go on your Igama. That is not a problem. Others homeschool thier children in Saudi Arabia. I had colleagues who worked for Saudi Arabian Airlines and others with SALTS (Raytheon) who homeschooled.

You might find resources are a bit difficult to come by. No decent public libraries.

Where are you going ? Jeddah probably is better for this than other places.

pm me if you want to pick my brains about Jeddah or Dhahran.

Be warned that KSA can be difficult for teenagers.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot is right, KSA can be difficult for teens. there is little or nothing by way of public entertainment, particularly in riyadh. Also, the number of native English speakers has dwindled in recent years, so your kids may find it hard to get a wide circle of compatible friends.

Teenagers are in a bit of an awkward position as they are no longer children, who are happy with all the sunshine and safety, and do not have the motivation which makes life in KSA bearable for adults. I don't want to sound too negative, but I do know of people who, though happy to have their kids inKSA when they were small, but sent them home when they hit the age of 12 or so,especially if they were girls.

If you are going to be homeschooling your kids, they will be even more isolated. Perhaps you should consider all your options before committing to this?
theycallmesusie1974

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:03 pm    Post subject: Ok, this makes me.... Reply with quote

feel a little better.

I am looking into the Dhahran/Al-Khobar area, and we have been homeschooling from the beginning.

As usual, the library comes with us....many many trunks of books. We usually forgo much clothing to take our trunks of books and National Geographics.....

We have a couple of families we know in the area, so hoping for a nice long stay.

Scot47, I will be pming you this week about Dhahran.....I'm sure you have much info that I could use...

Thanks,

Susie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: