Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Singapore School - Pantai Indah Kapuk - Any opinions?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
englishbeer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Singapore School - Pantai Indah Kapuk - Any opinions? Reply with quote

Hi every one

I'm a newbie, looking for work.

Can any one please give me some advice, I'm looking for work in Jakarta.

Thanks
englishbeer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cam some one confirm these or any of these?

1. There are two principals at SIS-PIK

2. There are no VPs (Pre-school, Primary or Secondary) as all these positions had become vacant since last school year.

3. The school enrolment has fallen.

Thanks.
rayman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I've never heard a positive comment from those I know who have taught at SIS. In fact, the reputation it has amongst teachers within the international school scene has always prompted me to steer well clear. As such, I can't provide you with a lot of detail, sorry...
englishbeer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rayman.

Hope some one can help out. Thanks.
Pins

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: SIS Schools Reply with quote

In 2 short words - STAY CLEAR! I was lured from overseas with the promise of a lucrative career path, which was mapped out during my interview. During my time with SIS, many verbal promises were made. I delivered my end of the bargain, yet the promised promotion never materialised. Teachers are often humiliated and treated with disrespect. Trust and transparency is absent. Housing conditions are dreadful and "shared accommodation" often turns out to be "sharing a room" - in one case reported ... "SHARING A BED! " Some might say "Sour Grapes" but I can assure you that it is not the case. sadly, the many horror stories are true - you just need to ask around and it will be verified. In fact, I have removed my association with SIS from my resume as I regard it as a drawback, rather than valuable work experience. Their reputation is so wide-spread that I am of the opinion that no reputable international school will consider appointing me once they know I have worked there.
malu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Singapore international schools (of which there are many) in other Asian countries have a decidedly below-average rep among employees.

I've yet to see an example of Singaporeans doing business outside of Singapore that can provide an outstanding example of corporate social responsibility or business ethics. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.
Pins

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: SIS Reply with quote

Truth is SIS has no affiliation to Singapore at all - its just a brand name no different to selling Singapore Chicken Rice at a warung in Jakarta. Parents enroll their children in good faith - presentations at open house days are all a mockery as the few existing Singaporean and Western teachers are paraded around as though it is the norm - ask Bandung parents - they were fooled by the charade. If the schools are indeed aspiring to Singaporean standards, where are the Singaporean teachers????
BLINDFOLDED

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY? Is the effectiveness of a teacher based solely on race and nationality? How sure are these parents that if their kids are taught by Singaporean or Western teachers learning will be better? Do i smell racism here?[/img]
Pins

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Racism... not at all Reply with quote

Singapore schools - hello??? - Singapore curriculum - who better than Singaporean teachers to deliver Singapore curriculum? I'm not saying they are better teachers but if one professes to be a school following Singapore curriculum, the school should have at least a few experienced teachers from that country to help others to implement it properly. Anyway, that's what I would expect from a good school. imagine BIS without any English teachers!
BLINDFOLDED

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been asking around ....and it seems that SIS- Bandung is doing well minus the Singaporean teachers. But they do have a new Singaporean principal.
If parents feel this way about non - Singaporean and western teachers why is it that SIS still keeps on hiring other nationalities....
Pins

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blindfolded is a good name as you obviously do not want tto hear the truth , or are you perhaps part of SIS Management? Answer is easy - Asian teachers are cheap - average salaries @ USD$700 - much cheaper than getting qualified teachers from Singapore.
BLINDFOLDED

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pins is also a good name, unfortunately as narrow as a pin. i am not connected whatsoever to any SIS school. but i do have business associates who have kids there and the comment came from them, why? have you visited SIS bandung...
Pins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have indeed and whilst it is a magnificent building, a school is more than that; its what happens inside the classroom that matters. If your business associates are happy - good for them. I just wonder why the investors threatened to pull out a few months ago ????
Vertumnus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: SIS Reply with quote

I suggest you check out the old messages (circa 2006) about Singapore School. I will not respond in detail because everything you need to know is there:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=453393
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=52740

I happen to know that after Glenn McGrew posted his message in the first set, SIS wanted to take legal action against him but the investors refused.

You may be interested to know that the investors for SIS-Semarang have ended their arrangement with SIS because of numerous problems. They set up their own school, Bina Bangsa.

Best of luck.
Vertumnus
bule_boy69

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: SIS PIK Reply with quote

I can't find anything on this school since 2008. Does anyone have any recent experience of the PIK branch of SIS?

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: