Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University teaching post for an 'etranger'? C'est possible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mesomorph

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: University teaching post for an 'etranger'? C'est possible? Reply with quote

Bonjour a tous

I have been living in France for four months now, learning French at the local university, dodging dog poopy and the traffic, etc...

I started an 'EFL' job with a local 'institute' of middlemen 'providing' English 'lessons' for businesses and other gullable persons.

I chucked that because I realised I could make more money freelance.

I have an MA in English (Literature) from a Scottish uni and a PGDE in Secondary School Teaching from another Scottish uni.

It has been my dream to do a PHD in my subject of literature and to become an academic (in a university) for some time now.

Is it possible for me to do a PHD in an English speaking country and then teach (English Literature, or anything else) in a French uni, or do they just prefer their own?

Merci beaucoup

Bonne soir�e
lolwhites

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a PhD, it's possible to apply to the CNU (Conseil National Universitaire) for permission to try for Ma�tre de Conf�rence positions. It helps to have teaching experience and a track record in publishing. Such positions are very highly sought after, however.

Another way in is to do the CAPES or Agregation, and apply for PRCE or PRAG job. These are more like teaching posts than academic jobs though; the teaching load is the same as for a school, which won't leave much time for research.
mesomorph

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merci Monsieur Whites

J'aime vous beacoup
lolwhites

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say, if you are a native English speaker and have a Master's degree, you would be eligible for a lecteur post. The contract is for two years max (though they're currently considering upping it to three), but it's a good way to find your feet while you prepare for something more permanent. That's how I did it, anyway.

Details on this thread:
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=22416

If you've started a PhD you may be able to apply for a Ma�tre de Langue post too.
Nmarie

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The contract is for two years max (though they're currently considering upping it to three)

Hello lolwhites,

When are they considering doing this, and could you indicate your source of information?
lolwhites

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nmarie

My partner works in a university and is on various email discussion lists. I also recall being told about it when I was a lecteur last year. All I know is it's being talked about, I have no idea if it'll actually happen.

Apparently the problem is that languages are becoming less and less popular in British universities and the supply of people to exchange with is drying up.

Don't count on it happening any time soon though.
mesomorph

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks lol for your input. I appreciate it very much.

Some questions.

1.a. What qualifications do you have? What exactly do you do in your job as lecteur? How old are you? What are you doing next professionally? How much French do you speak?

1.b. Would I be eligible for a lecteur post with my qualifications?

Note - My degree is called an MA English (Hons), but it is only the same as BA English (Hons). Also is in Literature not Language. In other words my grammer is bad.

1.c. Would they consider my PGDE to be a Masters, considering it involved research and is a post-graduate course? (he he)

2. As you know I want to do a PHD in Literature and become an academic. So as I am living in France I suppose I want to be a Ma�tre de Conf�rence. I am enrolled at the local university learning French and start Beginner 2 in August. In reality I speak French, just badly.

What do you advise I do next?

Thanks again you are a great guy.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.a. - I have a (four-year) MA + PGCE, so BAC+5. I was teaching Phonetics and conversation, but lecteurs normally just do speaking and listening. I now have the CAPES, am just finishing my stage and will start a PRCE job in the autumn. When I arrived, my French was high school level, which is fine for a lecteur. The level test I did for the French course I'd signed up to said I was C1 of the Common European Framework, which I thought was a bit generous.It's improved since then, though!

1.b. Your qualifications should be enough, as lecteurs aren't really expected to teach grammar. The only thing is most unis recruit through mutual agreements with universities in English-speaking countries. Some recruit independently, so it's worth making speculative applications - don't ask, don't get!

1.c. You'd need to find out from the unis themselves. I suspect the main thing will be how many years you've studied post BAC.

2. You won't even be considered for a Ma�tre de Conf�rence until you've got a PhD. If you can land a lecteur job, that'll give you an income and time to work out your next move - mine was getting my French up to scratch, then the CAPES via distance learning.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, all this assumes you fulfill the right nationality/residence criteria. I can do all these things because I'm an EU citizen.
mesomorph

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks once again Mr Whites.

Your qualifications are identical to mine.

Yes I am an EU citizen also.

You have (alot) better French than me.

As it stands at the moment I plan to be studying French for one more year to get to level B2. Currently I am studying at A2. Oops.

At B2 I have 'full access' to the university. Which I presume means as a learner, in relevant areas. Although I had fancied a janitorial role.

After that I will study two French years of French masters.

Then three for my doctorat.

So in roughly six years I hope to be doing something worthwhile.
mesomorph

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I meant to say my level in French is C2.
Candoguy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesomorph wrote:
Merci Monsieur Whites

J'aime vous beacoup

"Je vous aime beaucoup" - the object pronoun goes before the verb.
mesomorph

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candoguy wrote:
mesomorph wrote:
Merci Monsieur Whites

J'aime vous beacoup

"Je vous aime beaucoup" - the object pronoun goes before the verb.

Thanks that's more help than I get here.
mesomorph

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mesomorph wrote:
I think I meant to say my level in French is C2.

But no it is A2.

Lol.

*cries*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: