Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PHILIPPINES TRAVEL thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: PHILIPPINES TRAVEL thread Reply with quote

Okay, opening up the Philippines Travel thread. I'm sure there are others (sgt killjoy, ghost, etc. who'll also be great contributors to this thread).

I'm in the Philippines right now, Iloilo to be exact at the moment. Been on a few trips to the Philippines, and so far been to Manila, Baguio, Puerto Galera, Puerto Princesa, El Nido, Boracay, Iloilo, Bacolod, Cebu, Malapascua Island, Bantayan Island, Bohol and Alona Beach, Camiguin Island, Cagayan de Oro, Samal Island, General Santos, and Davao.

If anyone is interested in different cities or locations for whatever reason, I'd love to give some impressions or get a good Philippines conversation going on this forum.

mcurrie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it safe to visit and/or work in the Philippines? I'm a 22-year old female who was offered a position to teach in there and I wouldn't mind getting the DL on it. I have had friends who spent 17 years there and told me to be extremely careful. As you can imagine, that doesn't make me feel great about it. Any thoughts or opinions?
mandalayroad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard most of the language schools are owned by Koreans, is that true? Do university jobs pay as little as I've heard... just a few hundred US dollars per month?
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcurrie wrote:
Is it safe to visit and/or work in the Philippines? I'm a 22-year old female who was offered a position to teach in there and I wouldn't mind getting the DL on it. I have had friends who spent 17 years there and told me to be extremely careful. As you can imagine, that doesn't make me feel great about it. Any thoughts or opinions?

Where will you be in the Philippines?

I found most of the country VERY safe, except for MANILA. But even Manila has its safe parts.

Mindinao is the area that most people are worried about, but I found most of it to be just fine. But I'd still avoid Zamboanga and Zulu Islands and a few other places there.

Well, where will you be in the Philippines?
mcurrie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be in or around Boracay and Cebu.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcurrie wrote:
I'd be in or around Boracay and Cebu.

Boracay is a world-class and famous tourist beach which brings a lot of money into the country, and being so, it is definetely very safe and well-protected, preserved, and has a lot of government money going into it.

Cebu is the third largest city, and filled with a lot of great friendly people. I never had problems in Cebu, ever. Tons of large shopping malls, restaurants, and everything else. There is also a sizeable foreigner population, which you'll see throughout the malls. Many older foreigners seem to like Cebu for retirement. Once you are there, and see how comfortable it is, you'll see why.
mcurrie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! But what if I wanted to travel the rest of the country? I think I'd skip the south, but how's the north? I know I'd have to watch my back in Manila too, but if I do decide to do this, I won't pass up any advice. Thanks again. Ciao!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcurrie wrote:
Thanks! But what if I wanted to travel the rest of the country? I think I'd skip the south, but how's the north? I know I'd have to watch my back in Manila too, but if I do decide to do this, I won't pass up any advice. Thanks again. Ciao!

It's real good nearly everywhere.

Manila, Zamboanga, Zulu Islands, and a few other small pockets in Mindinao are the ones to watch out for. Just about everywhere in Luzon and Visayas I felt real comfortable in.

Most people who know the Philippines, try to get out of Manila as quickly as possible and to the 'provinces'. The provinces are just about EVERYWHERE except MANILA. People are real friendly and feels safe all over the provinces (which include Luzon, Visayas and Mindinao).

Mindinao also feels real safe in the cities like Davao and islands (Camiguin, etc. and such). However, there are pockets of Islamic movements, which seem to focus on the far western part of Mindinao. So if you are in Davao or Samal Island in Mindinoa, you are just fine and far away from the small pockets of 'dangerous territory). Most of the Philippines provinces however (the mass majority) of it is real nice and real comfortable and filled with real friendly and honest people.
Big L

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem like folks want to talk about your trip, Tiger. Which
one of the places that you visited would you prefer to live?
roym

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Philippines is fine.....like anywhere else .....behave sensibly...easy.

Anyway, would really appreciate any news or info on jobs there.....

thanks
Krisha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning a grand vacation next summer. Which beach to spend a summer where I can experience almost everything like kayaking, snorkeling, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Philippines All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: