Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for newbies leaving the UK with PGCE aspirations
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pelican_Wrath

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaw wrote:
As well as the education side of things also remember that if you're classed as living abroad (being out of the country for x% of the year - sorry you'd have to check the figures) and not paying national insurance going to see your local doctor can be a problem.

Managed to get a GP no probs, also got jobseekers allowance over the summer, and housing benefit (still waiting for the latter to come through, made more complicated by my Chinese wife not having an NI number, which is a pain, now sorting that out).

THe main thing is to answer their questions intelligently.

When I went to the JSA interview they gave me a habitual residence test. All it was was questions, like vat is your name, vat is your quest, and vat is the capital of assyria.

Nah, it was things like, do you have a bank account overseas? Do your family live overseas? And so on. You answer them all to fit in with the notion that your normal place of abode is in the UK, and you'll be fine.

A more important thing is to make sure you either defer, or maintain payments on, existing student loans. That's far more vital than worrying about whether time abroad will affect funding...
Phil_b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I hadn't heard of that... there's a bit more information about it here:

http://www.fareham.gov.uk/crs/housingop/030313/reports-public/ho-030313-r02-ataAPPAE.pdf

I think that this is the important paragraph:

Quote:
"If the applicant is returning to the UK after a period spent abroad,
where it can be established that the applicant was previously
habitually resident in the UK and is returning to resume his / her
former period of habitual residence, s/he is immediately habitually
resident.
"

That is just about benefits though... UKCOSA publish guidlines for Higher Education funding....
Pelican_Wrath

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my first installment of funding through today (as well as the Uni bursary which I've been getting all term).

Personally, I would advise people on this not to worry about this rule. They are just trying to make you worried. You just tell them that your permanent address was always xyz address in the UK and that your contracts abroad were temporary.

However, a much more pertinent point is deferral of loans. I failed to do this and that's why my funding has been very delayed this term (had to borrow some money from a relative to pay off the arrears).

Keep up with your deferrals, kids!

Oh, and I would also like to warn people living comfortably overseas and having a relatively stress-free life that training to be a teacher in the UK is a rather different kettle of fish. Forget the CELTA - that's like a walk in the park compared with a PGCE! It isn't for everyone!
Pelican_Wrath

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funding available is quite generous actually. I have a (Chinese) wife and kid, and in total I've got:

4000 quid training salary (from the Uni)
2500 adult dependent's grant (for my Chinese wife even though she had never set foot in the UK other than a holiday prior to the course)
1500 student parent's grant
3500 maintenance grant
310 uni bursary
plus grant paying 85% of childcare fees (about 500 quid a month it will work out to)
4000 pound loan
3000 pound fee loan

Of course, if my wife were working, I would not get most of the above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: