Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International House and TEFL International

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peregrin26

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: International House and TEFL International Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone has taken either the CELTA course at International House or the TESOL course at TEFL International (both in Buenos Aires.) I am trying to decide on which course to take, and would love to hear about someone's experience with these organisations. I don't think there's a significant difference between the two, so I'm leaning towards International House, as it's a bit cheaper.

I know that a TEFL certificate isn't necessary, but since I will have just graduated university and have no teaching experience, I need training and some sort of credentials.

I plan on going to Buenos Aires this February and then hopefully I'll find a job in March. If anyone has any advice or will be going around the same time, let me know!
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Celta, along with the Trinity CTESOL, is the course with widest international recognition, and IH have a good reputation as providers of Celta training, so if the IH Celta is also cheaper where you are...although I don't know about IH, BA per se.

IMO it's always worth getting the training if you can afford it. You'll gain experience, techniques, a basic grasp of approaches and of methodology, and confidence.
alexcase

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pleasantly surprised if the CELTA is cheaper. Make sure you aren't comparing the including accommodation etc fee of one with the no accommodation etc fee of the other. If it is cheaper, there seems to be no reason not to choose the CELTA over any equivalent qualification as it is, amongst other things, by far the most recognized.

TEFLtastic blog- www.tefl.net/alexcase
peregrin26

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised, too, that CELTA was cheaper, though not by much - about $200 less. Both the estimates were without accomodation. I plan on just finding a place through craigslist or another site for my first month, and then once I'm there try to find something better or cheaper. It seems that's what most people do.

Any other experiences with International House? Though I'm also certain to go with them, I would still love to hear an alumnus' point of view.
DeanJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: International House Buenos Aires Reply with quote

Greetings,

I completed my CELTA in Belgrano (Buenos Aires) during July 2008. The staff there was great. The neighborhood was wonderful. The students were motivated and forgiving.

University of Cambridge really sits at the center of English language instruction around the world. They not only are respected for preparing teachers, but they have the most accepted skills testing/certificate program for learners. The CELTA is so respected that it is often accepted as certification for teaching other languages as well.

The process of getting a CELTA really was something new for me. I have several college degrees, several teaching credentials (through the State of California), have completed two different police academies, and several programs in the US Army (including parachute school). In some ways the CELTA was the most emotionally demanding training I have ever experienced. You have lectures in the afternoon, prepare lesson plans at night, teach in the morning and then have 30 minutes of feedback of what you can do better. Then you break for lunch and repeat--for 4 weeks. The net effect for me, was feeling like I was living through a4-week all-nighter.

Would I recommend it? Yes. Do I wish there was another course to take from the folks at IH Buenos Aires? Yes.

(Feel free to PM me if I can answer any detailed questions.)
chon nom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: TEFL INTL Reply with quote

I tool a course/placement with these guys in Thailand. Very bad news.
Dont know about Argentina, but a CELTA is much better anyway.
TEFL INTL has a (rightfully) bad rep
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: