Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lviv

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxwell999

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Lviv Reply with quote

Hello, I am thinking of going to Ukraine or Slovakia. Lviv looks to be the most promising city, tried to do lots of research but lost my patience. Do you think it is possible to turn up in Lviv on Jan 2nd and find a job or 2 and live a comfortable life? I can't really afford to go too long part time or with no work.

Thanks Nick

p.s would appreciate a quick reply as the sooner I book flights the cheaper it is.
maxwell999

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might also add that I have a celta, with a good grade and 2 years experience before that. However I just want to know how easy jobs are to come by, even the low paid ones.

Nick
canucktechie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent jobs are scarce enough in Ukraine in good times and these are definitely not good times. I would not try it.
ibasiram

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is International House in Lviv, although I haven;t really heard much about them only that they seem a little disorganised...otherwise there are just random schools that pay really low wages
PhilDuval

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was offered a position at IH Lviv. In the end i didnt take it but the DOS was an English guy who seemed professional. I visited the city last Summer (2008) and was impressed at how it seemed to be developing. It still seemed to be the cheapest city in Ukraine although prices has gone up since i was there first in 2005.

I did hear about another school at the other end of town but i really can't remember the name now. I went to visit this one and IH but both were shut.

Personally I wouldnt risk going over there unless you had a definite job offer.

I think you could have a good time in Lviv though in more stable times.

Good luck
Toad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this thread is a bit old and hear that the situation in Ukraine is a lot worse. Can anybody report anything at all about experiences in Ukraine.

I might be going to a small town in Ukraine soon and will try private tuition and see what comes up. I doubt there is anything in the area that would qualify as a successful legitmate business wanting to pay for lesson so private is all I have. I know the local uni teaches English, and judging by the English coming out of the students I've met, they really need some help!

What's the 'going rate' for private lessons? I'm told some are charging 5USD/lesson. If I get enough students I could live off that.

T
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, are times so tough there? The going rate is still 5USD a lesson Shocked ? I lived in L'viv from 2001-2003 and charged $5 an academic hour then, and sometimes got quite a bit more. I would think the rate would be much higher now (as cost of living has risen quite a bit).
nugget31

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:43 am    Post subject: Going rate Reply with quote

It's more than $5 - more like $15 (in Western Ukraine anyway)
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect life was better when the place was Lemberg and it was ruled by Kaiser Franz Joseph.
chromium

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's between $10 - 15 now in Eastern Ukraine.

To answer the OP's question: It is hard enough for people to get visas even with a school doing all the paperwork; I cannot imagine doing it yourself. Plus, the rules are constantly changing and prices keep going up. It's like$2000 USD for a British visa and work permit, slightly less for Americans; but for our admin it is endless red tape and we've had to send 2 teachers to Moldova.

I would strongly advise against coming here without work, visa, and accomodation taken care of by a school prior to your arrival.
keepreal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lviv is horrendous for pay. It just so hard to get students and language schools offer very few lessons. U can make less than 200usd a month in the summer if u don't do camps.
BTW, almost no schools offer visa support I believe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Ukraine All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: