Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in Argentina �Off the Books� Questions! Important!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lola723

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Working in Argentina �Off the Books� Questions! Important! Reply with quote

Hello. I am sorry if this thread has already been posted, but I just needed to ask a few important questions:

I am an American who came to BsAs recently (in early January) and am currently here on a tourist visa. So far, so good- I have a decent place to stay and lined up a few part time gigs at some institutes teaching EFL. I was quite surprised how easy it was (suspiciously easy!) to obtain work here �en negro,� off the books.

However, I am a bit concerned about a few things, and would greatly appreciate if anyone who has experience here can clear a few things up for me (my imagination tends to run away with itself and I always fear the worst)-

Number one- I am aware of the new fee that I will have to pay beginning in January of (what the US embassy told me) $131 when I exit the country before my tourist visa expires to come back (probably just a day trip to Uruguay). But having never done this before, I am very scared of the possibility that they might question me at the border why I want to come back after just a day or not let me in. What exactly happens when you want to reenter the country and immigration sees that you have been here (or repeatedly enter)?

Is there anyone here who has lived here awhile on a tourist visa while working and supporting themselves? Are there any major concerns or potential problems that I should be aware of?

I also heard (though I know you can�t believe anything you hear) that Argentina might start a new law that requires citizens of countries that require a special tourist visa of Argentina (eg- the US) to obtain a special kind of tourist visa for Argentina (with the whole interview thing, kind of like what Brazil has). Has anyone heard of this? Is there any truth to this?

Last question- How does one go about finding work on the books (I guess it�s quite complicated)?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated!!!
Thank you for reading.
afansenil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lola,

working in negro is the easiest thing to do, however the way things are going in this country, working for institutes will not pay the rent most of the time.

The best way is to get invoices. or someonethat has invoices, that way you can avoid the institutes. I tried working for institutes for a whole year and it just want enough money. You need to go free lance and private.

This is not very hard to do, but I think its only worth it if you are going to stay her for at leas a year, otherwise you're better off spending your savings. Its also better for the students, they need you to be ab;e to commit for at least a year.

Regarding that visa thing.

I know people that have never lft the country. Its more expensive to leave the country than to overstay your visa and pay the fine. I have friends that border jumped every 6 months and then they asked him why he did all that because it cost him 200 pesos to go to Uruguay and back, if he ever wanted to go back to the US all he had to pay was a 50 peso fine. Funny stuff really.

About the new visa thing, its just a reciprocal fee for the US, an Argentine has to pay 100USD JUST to get the interview at the American consulate considering 100USD it over three times as expensive to an Argentine than to an American.

I should be getting my CUIT number sometime next week. I have to pay monthy thou, so if you are interested I may be able to spare the copies of invoices that you need, like I said I won't be using them really.

It very important for your students (especially privates to get an invoice from you)
itsthegroove

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: invoice??? Reply with quote

hello Afansenil.... i was reading your post and i was wondering if you could explain a bit more about the invoice thing... what exactly is that and what does it mean??
thanks so much for all the info in the post!
Stephanie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: