Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EARNING $1500-$1700 IN P.PENH P/MONTH - POSSIBLE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aleksey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: EARNING $1500-$1700 IN P.PENH P/MONTH - POSSIBLE? Reply with quote

Hi, everyone. Im currently teaching english in bangkok - been employed here for over a year.
Considering relocating to phnom penh as one of my options, around early April.
Im currently earning $1100 p/m here ( THBaht 40'000 ). Im looking to earn a bit more - at least 1500 but no more than 1700.
What are my chances of making that amount, teaching english full time in PP? I have a bachelors' , but no ESL certificate.
What devcnt schools are there. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Thanks in advance
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The decent language schools and better private universities will require a TEFL certificate of some description (the top-end schools often specify a CELTA). The scene in Phnom Penh is a little different to Thailand, where a white face and a pulse are often all that is required. Khmer students tend to be a little more discerning, and are fairly dismissive of (i.e. will complain to management about) teachers who do not know their stuff. That said, there are plenty of bottom-end and quite a few mid-level places who will probably employ you, if they are desperate for a white face. Payment at these places ranges from about US$5 to US$7 per hour at the really crappy schools, and up to around $14 to $15 per hour at some of the better places. It usually depends on the type of course you are hired to teach. You will also be in competition with the local English teachers (TESOL is a popular subject for people to study in Cambodia, so there are plenty of them) who, unlike the Thais, are generally pretty good.

Almost everything in Phnom Penh is on a part-time, hourly-rate basis, with few schools or universities offering full-time contracts. Popular hours are early mornings, evenings, and weekends and it is not always easy to find work outside these times. $1500 a month is just about doable, but it may take a while to build up enough hours. Unless you can teach courses like academic writing or subjects other than English, you are looking at an hourly average of about $10 to $12, so you are going to have to find/put in quite a few hours to get your $1500 a month.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: EARNING $1500-$1700 IN P.PENH P/MONTH - POSSIBLE? Reply with quote

Aleksey wrote:
Hi, everyone. Im currently teaching english in bangkok - been employed here for over a year.
Considering relocating to phnom penh as one of my options, around early April.
Im currently earning $1100 p/m here ( THBaht 40'000 ). Im looking to earn a bit more - at least 1500 but no more than 1700.
What are my chances of making that amount, teaching english full time in PP? I have a bachelors' , but no ESL certificate.
What devcnt schools are there. Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Thanks in advance

Is there any particular reason why you don't want to make more than $1700? Seems odd.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cambodia--try it and see Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: