Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Degree required?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris.m

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Degree required? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm interested to know if it's possible to gain long term employment in Cambodia without holding a degree?

I'm expecting to be told to look on google for this information before pestering the people on here, but having looked, i'm struggling to find up to date details.

Any help clearing this up for me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Chris
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing if a degree is an absolute must or just icing on the cake is a nice thing to know when heading to a country and looking for TEFL work. As far as I know, a degree is not needed in Cambodia.

Anybody with first-hand knowledge out there that can help?

Thanks Smile
Elkythedogsperson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of one year ago, a degree was not needed to obtain a work visa to teach at a private schoool but would be requirted at a university. A TESOL/CELTA is a big benefit however.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elkythedogsperson wrote:
As of one year ago, a degree was not needed to obtain a work visa to teach at a private schoool but would be requirted at a university. A TESOL/CELTA is a big benefit however.

Thanks for the info Smile

I have a 120 hour TEFL and about 3 years teaching ESL in language schools, private K-12 schools (Mostly middle and high school) and I've taught my share of business and private classes. All of that in Mexico. Cool
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elkythedogsperson wrote:

No such thing as a work visa in Cambodia. To stay longer than two months you get a business visa - and the only papers required for that are those bearing the portraits of dead American presidents.

There are around 80 private "universities" in Phnom Penh, but many of them are little more than hole-in-the-wall shophouses. If they want a white face they will probably take anything they can get - pulse desirable but not essential. Don't bank on them paying an hourly rate you can actually live on though.
Elkythedogsperson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PattyFlipper,

Perhaps work visa isn't the correct term, but when I was there your visa needed the "employment allowed" endorsement which one could get in 1, 3, 6, or 12 month increments. 6 and 12 month also came with the multiple entry option. May be it has changed in the year since I left.

As for the university, yes, I agree, most of the private universities are nothing more than degree mills (the one I taught at certainly was) but for a state run university (Royal U. for instance) the requirements are stricter.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PattyFlipper wrote:
Elkythedogsperson wrote:

No such thing as a work visa in Cambodia. To stay longer than two months you get a business visa - and the only papers required for that are those bearing the portraits of dead American presidents.

There are around 80 private "universities" in Phnom Penh, but many of them are little more than hole-in-the-wall shophouses. If they want a white face they will probably take anything they can get - pulse desirable but not essential. Don't bank on them paying an hourly rate you can actually live on though.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like a good place to go when the economic meltdown reaches south into Mexico and Latin America.
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elkythedogsperson wrote:
PattyFlipper,

Perhaps work visa isn't the correct term, but when I was there your visa needed the "employment allowed" endorsement which one could get in 1, 3, 6, or 12 month increments. 6 and 12 month also came with the multiple entry option. May be it has changed in the year since I left.

I have really never heard of this. For the last fifteen years or so, Cambodia has issued two types of visa - Tourist and Business (there is also a diplomatic/NGO visa but this will not concern the average TEFLer). A tourist visa is valid for one month, extendable in country for a further month and then you must leave the country. A tourist visa cannot be converted into a business visa. The business visa entitles you to work, is issued at the airport/frontier for an initial one month and can then be extended indefinitely for periods of 3, 6, or 12 months (6 and 12 months allow multiple exit and re-entry). I have mine in front of me now and it makes no mention of "employment allowed", and yet this is the visa on which all but diplomats and contract expatriate NGO staff work. The renewal is simplicity itself, as all you do is take it to a travel agency with one photograph and the requisite number of US dollars and they will attend to it for you. This is how things work here. There are occasional mutterings that a work permit system will be introduced, but so far that is all they have been - mutterings. Certainly the system has been the same for the 3 years I have been here, and as I mentioned earlier this has not changed in the last fifteen years or so.

The Royal University of Phnom Penh and its associated faculties and institutes employs few, if any, non-Cambodians. Whitey is not particularly welcome there.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cambodia. Try it and see. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: