Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Regarding the situation in Nepal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abusalam4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Regarding the situation in Nepal Reply with quote

Nepal is a country that has not been particularly popular in terms of an ESL job market for foreign English teachers. This situation seems to be changing right now with more and more private schools/colleges coming up with a high focus on quality ESL instruction.

The problem with Nepal at the moment is that many of the local investors there are tied to some of the political parties there, and the situation is less than unstable due to internal problems with an autocratic ruler and a fierce opposition against that old system. I have news from reliable sources that there were even rumours about a conspiracy to murder US officials residing in Nepal but it is hard to tell whether this rumour has any reasonable basis of truth.

For some time, I have been working with some Nepalese partners on a new school/college project who asked my advise and even invited me to Nepal. They also asked me to recruit other foreign teachers on their behalf. But they unfortunately withheld some important informationh regarding the security issue for foreigners and foreign teachers in particular. Please read here what I wrote in the eslteachers board on that topic:

http://www.eslteachersboard.com/cgi-bin/intl/index.pl?read=8097

My advice: Be very cautious if you should ever receive a job offer from anynone in Nepal. The situation there is far from stable and secure. Several Western embassies have issued security warnings, and the situation can change quickly. Thus, in case of your travel to Nepal - either as a tourist/travellor, for example from neigboring China, or as an ESl teacher - be sure to research the most recent situation first and consult your Embassy/Consulate about the most current security issues you should be aware of at the time of your planned travel.

It is a pity that Nepalese people are made to suffer that much but it does not help them either if foreigners get in trouble over there because of the situation. You are advised to watch the international news regarding Nepal. If northing spectacular happens within the next months until September 07, it may perhaps be safe enough to go. At the moment, the situation is pretty tense and unpredictable.

I wanted all of you to be aware of this.
medusa

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Abusalem 4,

thank you for sharing that with us, i've no direct plans to go for work to Nepal (although I will pass through for a week hols from India) but I think it's important to share what we learn especially when it can be sticky like political problems.

A beautiful place to teach though.........
abusalam4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Nepal Update Reply with quote

Although the situation is still somewhat critical in Nepal, it seems that in the area ofr Kathmandu Valley things seem somewhat more stable at the moment.

I wish to inform all of you that I will visit Nepal on July 27 and will return on August 28. This is for researching the school wanting to hire me as their Academic Director, the general situation in Nepal (living conditions), immigration matters, etc. I will post additional and updated current information here later.

Nepal seems to have a new ESL market just about to emerge, and hiring foreign teachers for paid positions is quite new. Most of the foreigners are serving as volunteers here. I will make some attempts to negotiate contact packages similar to those offered by reputable employers in China. Since the ESL market for foreign teachers is just about to develop, you cannot yet find all those decadent things like disreputable employers not paying on time, irresponsible recruiters, etc. so well known from China and other like ESL "markets".

Perhaps there is a chance to keep these things under control there so that things do not get out of hand as they have done elsewhere. I am strongly determined not to hire any other FTs for our school if the conditionhs are not reasonable and agreeable.
Mary Ann Davis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Recovery Reply with quote

I invested a large part of my life in Nepal -- starting in '92 -- & since '96, the revolution has simply continued to rip the country apart. I've stayed in Asia, though I had to move on to other countries, I still teach ESL, & have adapted to new ways. I'm sick to death of China, frankly, and would appreciate any advice about good money to be made in Asian ESL & scams to avoid. (For example, there's great money in Taiwan at such-and=such a school.)I'm supposedly an old-timer, but recently I fell into a suburb-uni gig that has made me see how little I know... Thanks a lot. Mary Ann
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
garbotara

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a lot of time in Nepal, too and really loved it. I was there between 1999 to 2003. I had visited the country before but actually lived there those years. I really loved it. But boy it got more and more dangerous as time went on. I really wonder how it is now.
ithos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any recent reports on ESL in Nepal?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: