Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is teaching enjoyable in Taiwan?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mukal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Is teaching enjoyable in Taiwan? Reply with quote

I'm interested in coming Taiwan, and I've researched a decent amount about pay, visas, avoiding bad schools, etc., but another question I want to know is this:

Do you actually enjoy the teaching aspect of life in Taiwan?

If so, what do you like about it, if not, what don't you like? Thanks
kingmalka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the job. Most are bad. Some are good. Gotta look hard and be patient. Don't settle for something you're not happy with. I suppose it takes a good amount of money to do this.
linzbc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingmalka wrote:
Depends on the job. Most are bad. Some are good. Gotta look hard and be patient. Don't settle for something you're not happy with. I suppose it takes a good amount of money to do this.

For someone who doesn't have any experience teaching, what are some of the things to look for when trying to find a good teaching situation? What are the kinds of things to avoid?
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid jobs through agents and you will have less trouble.
BigWally

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kids were probably one of my favorite things about Taiwan. Top 5 for sure.

#1 Traveling
#2 Food
#3 Kids
#4 Climate/Weather
#5 My scooter
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top five:

1.Meeting new people
2. learning Mandarin
3. My apartment that overlooks the Bitan
4. Night life
5. helpfulness of Taiwanese people
markholmes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I got my schedule down to 9 to 4 Monday to Friday (full time immersion Kindergarten) I was very happy.

I didn't much like doing two hour elementary classes in the evenings, one, because i felt like a performing monkey and two, I suffer from a form of stage fright, where i sit around all day fretting about my evening classses.

I must have really enjoyed the Kindergarten experience as I am now back in Vancouver training as an elementary school teacher and so is my wife.

Quote:
#1 Traveling
#2 Food
#3 Kids
#4 Climate/Weather
#5 My scooter

Same for me, particularly having a scooter.
englishmaster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have taught in several east Asian countries, and would have to say that Taiwan was my favorite. It had its problems, though: the low English levels of the students, who were hardly university caliber, the nonsense paperwork from my department, the silly meetings, etc. Then there were troubles with my landlord, the laundry service and rude post office clerks.
And then there was the traffic, and cab drivers who didn't know where to go.

All in all, though, I found Taiwan a neat little island to live on, and I am trying to go back there.
123Loto

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is teaching enjoyable in Taiwan? Reply with quote

mukal wrote:
I'm interested in coming Taiwan, and I've researched a decent amount about pay, visas, avoiding bad schools, etc., but another question I want to know is this:

Do you actually enjoy the teaching aspect of life in Taiwan?

If so, what do you like about it, if not, what don't you like? Thanks

I love the teaching aspect of life in Taiwan. My job takes up a lot of my time and therefore, being satisfied with it helps towards being satisfied with my life in Taiwan.

I am a goal oriented person, so being paid loads of money to do something I really enjoy has helped me to stay focussed and live in Taiwan for a long time.

I really enjoy seeing my students progress. They will improve no matter what - just being exposed to English and doing a little study each day will make the improve. So you will have a positive influence from day one. However, I know that what I did in my first year as a teacher simply wouldn't be acceptable for me to do now. So now my students progress faster. I have become better at presenting and explaining English as well as better at urging them to try harder (a surprisingly effective approach I might add).

Over the years I have taken quite a bit of pride in my ability to explain most grammar without using Chinese. And, although I know I will be even better in another 5 years (I mean no one should rest on their laurels and nobody is perfect), I feel I already have a good well-rounded picture of English grammar which would serve me well if I wanted to teach in any other country.

I enjoy building relationships with my students and seeing their trust in their teacher grow throughout the years. This is very easy to achieve in kindergarten students so I guess it's more a comment on Junior High level.

I also enjoy training other teachers when the opportunity arises. Coaching and counselling other teachers has also been rewarding throughout the years.

Btw, most of the successful people I have met in Taiwan have all had positive attitudes towards teaching, and being professional. They have also been the happiest people I've met. Some advice: if you find you are spending time with people who are being negative about their life in Taiwan or their jobs, then either call them on it, and try to change it together, or introduce yourself to a wider circle of friends. Life's too short.

Anyway, I think it's a really good sign that you have asked this question because it shows you have your priorities straight.

Good luck!
globalgourmand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is teaching enjoyable in Taiwan? Reply with quote

123Loto wrote:
...most of the successful people I have met in Taiwan have all had positive attitudes towards teaching, and being professional. They have also been the happiest people I've met. Some advice: if you find you are spending time with people who are being negative about their life in Taiwan or their jobs, then either call them on it, and try to change it together, or introduce yourself to a wider circle of friends. Life's too short.

This is wonderful to read! I had started garnering info about moving to Taiwan to teach ESL here at Dave's ESL, and then I branched over to Forumosa for more info. What I found was a LOT of negativity, complaining, sarcasm, and snark. I was shocked! But this thread has a decidedly different tone and its encouraging. Phew, thanks!
123Loto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is teaching enjoyable in Taiwan? Reply with quote

globalgourmand wrote:
This is wonderful to read! I had started garnering info about moving to Taiwan to teach ESL here at Dave's ESL, and then I branched over to Forumosa for more info. What I found was a LOT of negativity, complaining, sarcasm, and snark. I was shocked! But this thread has a decidedly different tone and its encouraging. Phew, thanks!

You're welcome globalgourmand! Great username by the way!!! Food is another excellent reason to travel... Very Happy
Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello 123Loto,

Great post! Just wondering about a couple of things: Do you use Chinese at all to explain things to your students? You also mentioned encouraging students.

I have a friend who is finishing a thesis on the perception of Vietnamese students to 'foreign' ESL teachers who use Vietnamese in the classroom.

What has been your favorite age / group size to teach over the years?

Thanks!

Taylor
globalgourmand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is teaching enjoyable in Taiwan? Reply with quote

123Loto wrote:
You're welcome globalgourmand! Great username by the way!!! Food is another excellent reason to travel... Very Happy

Yes it is!!! As an uber-foodie, it is possibly the foremost exciting thing about my upcoming move to Taiwan. Exotic fruits, pan-asian ingredients, seafood, night markets, noodles, and totally new flavors. I am salivating just thinking about it. Mr. Green Mr. Green
123Loto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taylor wrote:
Hello 123Loto,

Great post! Just wondering about a couple of things: Do you use Chinese at all to explain things to your students? You also mentioned encouraging students.

I have a friend who is finishing a thesis on the perception of Vietnamese students to 'foreign' ESL teachers who use Vietnamese in the classroom.

What has been your favorite age / group size to teach over the years?

Thanks!

Taylor

Thanks Taylor, your friend's thesis sounds really interesting! I've travelled many times to Vietnam and I absolutely love the place.

You asked about Chinese in the classroom - whether I use it depends upon the age group. When you use Chinese in the classroom you are increasing the understanding of the students; improving the clarity of your message. This is a short term benefit, but one that is usually fairly apparent.

What you sacrifice over themedium to long term , however, is listening comprehension. You can develop a habit of "not listening" in your students - as they switch off for your English explanation and wait for the Chinese.

It takes quite a bit of concentration for them to follow what you are explaining - which is nearly always new information (I see little benefit in reviewing with Chinese assistance). So they need to strain their ears to follow the language you are using, but they also need to follow the logic of what you are saying, and try to apply information they have already received to further clarify your mesage. This is exhausting for them.

However, it is important. When they end up travelling or communicating with foreigners in English it will serve them well to have a habit instilled where they "pick out" a percentage of the words and "fill in the gaps" through context, inference and further clarifying questions. (E.g. "Do you mean..." or "What does _____ mean?")

Something for you to take note of is that, in my opinion, Vietnamese students' English is of a higher level than Taiwanese student's English language level. I beileve this is due to the public education system introducing English there earlier.

I find encouraging the higher level students is really helpful. I've been doing more of this recently. I simply speak to the kids on the benefits of study. (Many are not doing any study at all). I ask them how long they think they need to study each day - and I point out that even 10 minutes a day will improve their grades, understanding and results.

I then point our improvements as they occur. I have designed worksheets that can be filled out at home; not for me to grade but for them to use if they want to (for example past tense verb memorisation). Then when it comes time to quiz or assess their levels I show them that their effort has paid dividends. I have kept records of the class's spelling grades etc and shown the the whole class how they have been improving. This (kindof) develops a sense of "team" purpose.

I haven't had any particular "favorite" level to teach; but I have had individual classes that I've enjoyed more over others. Usually what will trigger off the sense of satisfaction for me is when I try some new approach and I can see demonstrable improvements with that class.

As an aside, my current school has given me plenty of room to try these things. It has also shown me that they are interested in this kind of information to be provided to their curriculum development team. I have been published by them quite a few times over the years and I have participated in many discussion groups/ committees. This brings its own set of satisfactions (and, on occasion frustrations!)
StayingPower

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it sucks. The jobs aren't stable, the people apt to use you, and the environment, crappy. Plus, you NEVER have job security.

Then again, I LOVE THESE PEOPLE. I have a friendly disposition, or am GOOD NATURED. Compare that to this.

A group of grown men staring at my girlfriend's ass, laughing. Another wench screaming at my dog BECAUSE I'M A FOREIGNER. Cuthroats, trying to swindle me for extra money due to electrical problems. Open markets, squeeszing you more food than you paid for in order to make more.

Bottom line: This is Taiwan. ALWAYS BE ON YOUR TOES! Forget the niceties, don't explode. They form groups, but are not courageous enough to stand up one on one.

Family defectives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: