Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea to Japan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamo22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Korea to Japan Reply with quote

Hello, my contract finishes in korea in august, and I really wanna make the move to Japan. What is the best way to go about this? Should I try and get interviews beforehand and then just head over?

i have no clue about how Japan works compared to Korea, are there any schools that will have accomodation organized already? Are there any recruiters that can help me?

Thanks
BobbyBan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Korea to Japan Reply with quote

Have a look at gaijinpot to see what jobs are available at the moment.

You'll need a fair bit of cash to start yourself up so I hope you've been saving.

Most companies here provide accommodation which you will have to pay for.

Read some of the other threads as you could probably do a little bit more research before coming back here with some slightly more specific questions which are too vague to answer comprehensively right now.
AndyH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the jobs board on this site, and try to get a job before you go to Japan. Most reputable schools will be ready to assist you, in terms of visa and accomodations, if they choose to hire you.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One week in August is a national holiday (Obon) and the country is awash with people traveling. Don't expect to have much luck in lodging then. Otherwise, August itself is not a great time to job hunt, but there are worse times.

Can we assume you are qualified only for entry level work? Do the smart thing and contact employers (who advertise) before you get here, and let them know when you come. There is a minor surge in hiring for Sept or October. After that, it's pretty dead.

In any case, plan to support yourself for 2-4 months before the first paycheck comes in. Visas work differently here, BTW. Lose your job in Japan, and the visa is still valid. Also, don't expect employers here to pay your rent like they seem to do so often in Korea.
Khyron

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Korea to Japan Reply with quote

jamo22 wrote:
Should I try and get interviews beforehand and then just head over?
Yes. If you can secure a job before leaving Korea (I did), then it's better. It's very rare though, so don't count on it.

Quote:
...are there any schools that will have accomodation organized already?
Most will. You'll have to may monthly rent fees, but you don't need to worry about set-up fees like key money or deposits. Pay is higher than in Korea, but having to pay rent pretty much evens things out.

Quote:
Are there any recruiters that can help me?
Nope, not in Japan. You have to find your own jobs.
jamo22

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot...Do I really have to plan on not getting money in for 2- months...that seems along time.

How long would it take to get a job with a BA and a years experience in korea?

What kind of salary could I expect?
Khyron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamo22 wrote:
Thanks alot...Do I really have to plan on not getting money in for 2- months...that seems along time.
2-3, yes. Same as Korea. Give or take about 6 weeks from when you start your new job to when you get your first paycheck. Add at least a few weeks, or more, to finding that new job and waiting to start.

Quote:
Right now, in case you haven't heard, the economy's just a bit tight. It could be anywhere from a day to never finding one. Realisticly, probably between a couple weeks to a couple months. You should prepare for 3 months at least, IMO.

Quote:
250,000/month, not including rent or anything else (aside from transportation costs to and from work. If they don't offer that, spit in their face). Did you really not know the answer to that question? Honestly, that is really basic stuff. Read the sticky threads at the top.

Last edited by Khyron on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenski

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khyron wrote:
jamo22 wrote:
2-3, yes. Same as Korea. Give or take about 6 months from when you start your new job to when you get your first paycheck.
That should probably be 6 weeks, not 6 months.

I agree with everything else Khyron has written, especially about reading the stickies.

You just missed the main hiring time (March) for the year. There will still be hiring, but often from employers whose teachers have suddenly realized there is something better elsewhere, or who have realized their employers lied to them about work conditions.

Quote:
A B.A. and a year's experience is pretty vanilla qualifications, and most Japanese employers don't see experience like that as being worth much. If it's not experience in Japan, they feel it's not real experience. Not all, but most employers, IMO.

Khyron wrote:
jamo22 wrote:
250,000/month, not including rent or anything else (aside from transportation costs to and from work.
What you should expect is 180,000 to 270,000 yen/month before taxes and deductions. What you should accept is what Khyron stated. The "standard wage" here has fallen from 250K, but don't take less.
Khyron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
That should probably be 6 weeks, not 6 months.
Opps!

Quote:
The "standard wage" here has fallen from 250K, but don't take less.
PLEASE don't accept less. Rent prices remain the same, food prices remain the same, transportation remains the same, etc.(if not going up), yet they think wage reduction is a good idea. If you even think about taking less than 250K, do us a favour and stay in Korea sparkling.
Suwon23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why in heaven's name is this not a sticky yet? We get this question all the time!

Don't go knocking on doors. Just go back to your home country and sign up with one of the big companies.
jamo22

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again for the answers, I have been reading the forum religiously, but you see I didnt know that transportaion costs should also be factored into your salary, so im glad I asked it Smile

I am going back home after August, but I live in South Africa, and no big companies hire there.

Do you think it is possible to contact companies/schools and tell them that I will be in Japan for a week in August and be available for interviews? could this strategy bear fruits? Im really not keen on pitching up in Japan without a job...
Glenski

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suwon23 wrote:
Why in heaven's name is this not a sticky yet? We get this question all the time!
Which question? The one asking how can a person best come to Japan from Korea?

Too many variables involved, IMO.
Suwon23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenski wrote:
Suwon23 wrote:
Which question? The one asking how can a person best come to Japan from Korea?

Too many variables involved, IMO.

But the follow-up questions are always the same:

"How does teaching in Japan compare to teaching in Korea, in terms of money, conditions, competitiveness, etc.?"

"How do I apply for a job; do I knock on doors or apply from North America/Europe?"

"Does the school year start at the same time? Are the hiring periods the same?"

"How much will my experience in Korea help me in my job hunt?"

"How do costs of living compare?"

And so on... I know many of these questions are already addressed in the existing stickies, but some are not.

If nothing else, it would prevent people from making a new post about it every couple of weeks. Some of the veterans here might be reluctant to give the same explanations over and over again.
manamaorigirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Japan cf Sth Korea Reply with quote

I've lived and taught in both places and here are the general differences
- Alot of Sth Korean jobs pay for housing
- Cost of living is generally cheaper in Sth Korea (depending on your lifestyle)
- Travel in Japan is more expensive
- Dress code for work attire is alot more formal in Japan than Korea!!!
- It' easier to get and do private lessons in Sth Korea than in Japan
- Japanese shochu is better than Korean soju!! LOL
Hot-Carl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: Japan cf Sth Korea Reply with quote

manamaorigirl wrote:
- It' easier to get and do private lessons in Sth Korea than in Japan
Those are illegal in South Korea. If ratted out or caught, you could be paying millions of won in fines, spend some time in immigration jail and be deported. You are owned by whoever sponsored your visa.

Is the risk really worth it?

No legal repercussions for doing private lessons in Japan. You are a free person. That fact alone, in my opinion, makes Japan a substantially better place than Korea.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: