Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Go About Finding Work In Lima
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lola723

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: How to Go About Finding Work In Lima Reply with quote

Salutations, everyone.

I�ve posted to the main L. American forum before regarding finding jobs, but after doing some thinking and whatnot, I am focusing my energy on hopefully successfully finding a job in Lima, Peru.

This is my �story�: I have an MAT in ESOL with teaching experience, speak Spanish, and I am currently located in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I love it here, but I really feel unstable in the financial sense (this place seems very oversaturated with teachers), as well as the fact that I�m working off the books on a perpetual tourist visa. I�ve met some wonderful people from Peru recently, and am now setting my sights there, but of course I have questions:

How difficult is it to find work teaching EFL in Lima?

How difficult would it be to find a job that would be able to offer me a work visa?

How do I go about finding a job there (ex: doing it from outside the country or staying there for awhile as a tourist in person)?

When is the best time to look for employment in Lima?

Is Lima overall a good place to work (ex: Is it possible to support oneself there, are YOU happy there, why or why not?)

Leads/Connections/Suggestions/Ideas/Etc. ???

As always, any and all advice is welcome.
Thank you so much for reading!

Sincerely,
L
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See my PM. YOu're a licensed teacher, right? Head towards the intl schools, look at www.tes.co.uk

I'd go the school route, more money and benefits. IF you want to work for institutes, you'll have no probs finding work, but you might have to work at a couple of institutes to earn engouh. Also, they won't get you a work visa. ONly schools will. Britanico does, it's the only institute. Expect 700 usd a month http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=19355

To get a job, you go to the top institutes in lima and knock on doors. YOu could also try to get private students. Anytime, except during holidays is a good time to find work.

I personally hate Lima, so I'm not the best person to convince you to come here. YOu can make enough money, but it's dirty, filled with uneducated people, and you work yourself to death.
sistaray

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: to death? Reply with quote

Work yourself to death? Only if you choose to do so.

I worked as few as 10 hours a week and got by just fine in Lima...
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: to death? Reply with quote

sistaray wrote:
Work yourself to death? Only if you choose to do so.

I worked as few as 10 hours a week and got by just fine in Lima...

Where did you live? Rent is the biggest expense. If you can live in a cheap place you can survive. What were you making an hour?
sistaray

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lived: in el centro.

Earned: $8-10/hr

Most people don't want to live in el Centro, fine. And, I wasn't always working only 10 hours a week. And, and, my standard of living is maybe lower than most. But still. Lima can be done on the cheap...
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sistaray wrote:
Lived: in el centro.
Earned: $8-10/hr
Most people don't want to live in el Centro, fine. And, I wasn't always working only 10 hours a week. And, and, my standard of living is maybe lower than most. But still. Lima can be done on the cheap...

Yep, wow, there are nice places in El Centro, I just don't know where they are since I have just been to RREE and migraciones.

Lima can be done ont he cheap, especailly if you live like a local.
gungediana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lima's great fun I think. Maybe the others have just been there for too long.

There's loads to do, going out in Lima is soooooo much fun. The most fun I've ever had in my life.
You could do Lima on the cheap, but then you'd be missing out on a lot too.

Well, enjoy it. BTW I recommend Barranco as a cracking place to go out!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Lima's good, for about a week. I've been here three years and hate it. HOw long were you here for?
gungediana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Lima about 4-5 months in 2007.

I used to post on this forum under the avatar 'tomteacher'.

I'm thinking of going back to Peru again. I loved it there. I have spare time on my hands now so I'll start posting regularly.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be glad to help point you in the right direction
Belluomo

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="naturegirl321
I personally hate Lima, so I'm not the best person to convince you to come here. YOu can make enough money, but it's dirty, filled with uneducated people, and you work yourself to death.[/quote]

Hey, I'm sorry about my last post about the weather. I want to apologize for the tone I took...don't know what got into me. I have read through your stuff and you have a wealth of good information. Please accept my apology. I agree about Lima being dirty, noisy and all that.

Andrew
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOn't worry, everyone has bad days. When are you coming to LIma? If you want to meet up for coffee, teaching tips, etc, let me know
gungediana

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lima is dirty, noisy, dangerous overcrowded I agree.

But there are many good things. The food is exceptional and very cheap too. The variety of cuisine available, western European, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Middle Eastern, Korean, Argentine etc is as good as any other city in the world surely. The quality is great, particularly when seen in relation to the price.

And if you are like me single, the dating scene really is exceptional. I can't tell you how much fun going out in Lima was for me. You could be with a different, stunningly attractive girl every weekend if you wanted to.

I suppose it depends upon who you are, your lifestyle and how much money you've go to spend etc. If you can't go out too much, have to commute a long way and have to earn a living there etc I imagine it's pretty crap.
Siempre Onion Jar

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I understand you guys don't like Lima because of it being overcrowded, with lots of uneducated people, and dirty...but do you think someone who's used living in a city like Philadelphia (and liked it!) would do okay dealing with these things? I love Philly, and that city is VERY dirty, with TONS of uneducated people, and a public transportation system that's ALWAYS on strike. If I can deal with/accept/love these things, about an American city, maybe I'd like Lima?
I don't have a teaching degree, but want to take a tesl course in South America, and I'm looking in to doing it in either Colombia or Peru.
I've been reading these forums forever by the way, I've just never posted.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don-t know about Philly, but do you have people pee in the street, go through red lights, streets with no lines, five rows of cars in a three lane street, bribing police, and idiots there_ If you do, you should be fine here Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: