Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

do i need a tefl qualification to teach in vietnam?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
monkel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: do i need a tefl qualification to teach in vietnam? Reply with quote

i have 2 yrs experience and i'm doing my masters in applied linguistics.... do i need tefl, celta or a "teaching" diploma to find work in vietnam?
thankyou to anyoone who takes the time to reply..........
Lee_Marrero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I am told you do not. I have been offered 2 jobs just with a BA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Paul John

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Qualifications Reply with quote

Generally speaking, experience counts for more than qualifications. The best teaching positions normally require a degree + TEFL cert + experience. From what you've said about yourself, you're better qualified than the majority of TEFL teachers here. I doubt that you would have any difficulty getting a good position.
monkel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help guys! c u in vietnam.........

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Vietnam (HCMC) in July and August - volunteering in an Orphanage and while I was there I was offered severanl "teaching conversational English" position at $10 US per hour.

I have at least 3 email contacts for Schools in Saigon if you would like them.

[email protected]
No Moss

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I taught in Vietnam for 18 months. My experience in Ho Chi Minh city was that a TEFL of some sort helps (preferably a CELTA or a Trinity, since that seems to be the choice of the large Australian presence there). Generally, a TEFL gets you several more dollars an hour. There are many big schools that take you whatever your qualifications, but pay you less if you don't have a degree (TEFL doesn't seem to matter to them).

I like the Vietnamese, but I'm not sure that Vietnam is a place where many westerners would want to stay long term.
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Moss wrote:

I like the Vietnamese, but I'm not sure that Vietnam is a place where many westerners would want to stay long term.

Why not? What was the downside?
No Moss

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for example, people urinating (and occasionally worse) in the streets, extremely high density population in HCM City, intrusive government (can't have a girl in your room in most places after 10:30 p.m. or so), poor hygiene in restaurants even by Asian standards, high noise levels, dangerous traffic (you will go down at some point if you ride a motorbike), high percentage of drunk, BS'ing expats (and some really great people too, of course).

Vietnam has its charms, and it's OK for a year, but I wouldn't consider going back there.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I basically agree. I was only there for two months as I could not seem to settle down and did not know why. At least it was HOT there.

It is BLOODY COLD here in China, but the minute I stepped foot here I knew I was in the right place and have no intentions of leaving. There is much more support here in China for teachers (first time ones anyway) and I love living at the School etc.

China is also cleaner - where I live and I have only seen 3 men urinating in the street in nearly 5 months (maybe it is too cold) but in Ho Chi Minh City I would see at least 3 per day.
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:05 am    Post subject: To Each His/Her Own Reply with quote

No Moss wrote:
Well, for example, people urinating (and occasionally worse) in the streets, extremely high density population in HCM City, intrusive government (can't have a girl in your room in most places after 10:30 p.m. or so), poor hygiene in restaurants even by Asian standards, high noise levels, dangerous traffic (you will go down at some point if you ride a motorbike), high percentage of drunk, BS'ing expats (and some really great people too, of course).

Vietnam has its charms, and it's OK for a year, but I wouldn't consider going back there.

To each his/her own, but I'm going to disagree with much of what you wrote. HCMC is, by no means, as densely populated as some cities in Asia. You might want to try living in Bangkok if you have a problem with population density, dangerous traffic or or high noise levels. I never got sick after eating in a restaurant in Vietnam, and I have after doing so in other Asian countries. As for the high percentage of "drunk, BS'ing expats," not even close when compared to some other places in Asia.

While I didn't keep track of how many men I saw urinating in public there, it did not seem any worse than in other countries I've lived in Asia. The business of not being able to have someone in your room is easily avoided by getting an apartment and not staying at a hotel.

Motorbikes in HCMC? You betcha. Avoid them? You betcha. That's what taxis are for.

Yes, it is hot there. SE Asia is like that.
No Moss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, HCM City has laws against unmarried men and women sharing a room in hotels, guest houses, and apartments, and that can be enforced by the landlord or by a midnight police visit. People manage to circumvent that problem after they get their feet on the ground, but it does limit their choices of places to live.

Certainly HCM City is not unique in having a high density of population--Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, and others have the same problem. However, HCM City requires resident permits for Vietnamese, so that citizens without a HCMC permit can't really rent a place to live. That plus poverty creates a large number of "street citizens".

People do urinate on the sidewalks. They may do the same in other cities, perhaps in India or Indonesia, but they don't in most areas where the ELT business is good.

Traffic is worse in Bangkok, but not as dangerous (it goes too slow in Bangkok!). And there is always the Skytrain and the river taxis.

My opinions are leavened by 5 years in Asia and many cities visited, so I'm not a "newbie". You betcha not.

But it's worth a year, particularly for younger people. The people are nice, the beer and food are cheap, and the girls in their ao dai's are a sight to behold--elegantly beautiful.
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Betcha Reply with quote

No Moss wrote:
Well, HCM City has laws against unmarried men and women sharing a room in hotels, guest houses, and apartments, and that can be enforced by the landlord or by a midnight police visit. People manage to circumvent that problem after they get their feet on the ground, but it does limit their choices of places to live.

Certainly HCM City is not unique in having a high density of population--Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, and others have the same problem. However, HCM City requires resident permits for Vietnamese, so that citizens without a HCMC permit can't really rent a place to live. That plus poverty creates a large number of "street citizens".

People do urinate on the sidewalks. They may do the same in other cities, perhaps in India or Indonesia, but they don't in most areas where the ELT business is good.

Traffic is worse in Bangkok, but not as dangerous (it goes too slow in Bangkok!). And there is always the Skytrain and the river taxis.

My opinions are leavened by 5 years in Asia and many cities visited, so I'm not a "newbie". You betcha not.

But it's worth a year, particularly for younger people. The people are nice, the beer and food are cheap, and the girls in their ao dai's are a sight to behold--elegantly beautiful.

You're right. It does take some time to learn the rules. Once you do, I never heard of one instance of anyone having any kind of a problem if they had a "real" apartment and were not living in a guest house or hotel.

"Street citizens" are not confined to HCMC. I've heard they even have them in the West. Like I said previously, I did not keep tracking of people urinating in public, but don't recall it as a major navigational or life threatening issue. Traffic? Yes, worse in Bangkok. Speed? Yes, far worse in Bangkok unless you have avoided all trips on the Expressway and the zilions of motorbike and taxi drivers who give a whole new meaning to "living life (or maybe losing it?) in the fast lane."

Actually, it's worth more than a year. Some are young. Some are old. Some are somewhere in between, whatever that is? All seem to have fun.

Only five years in Asia?
No Moss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. Just not up for a urinating contest.
RowanM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:58 pm    Post subject: "real" apartments Reply with quote

I don't want to have to live in a separate residence from my s.o. until I learn the ropes. Is there any difficulty finding a "real" apartment where you do not have to be married? I have never been to Vietnam, but I know every new country has enough hard lessons to learn without having to worry about being separated from your loved one every night! Is this a tough reality throughout Vietnam?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: