Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think of this contract?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: What do you think of this contract? Reply with quote

I had an interview with a school about 2 months ago, they finally got back to me. What do you think?

a. a two-year tax-free teaching contract in our Junior or Senior Campus (to be decided). After two years, we will discuss possible contract renewal and new conditions. The salary for the first year will be 1800USD/month. There are 40 working weeks in a year for teachers and 12 weeks of leave/vacation. Teachers start work on August 24, 2009,

b. The school will provide accomodation (a studio or two-room apartment) in a nice neighborhood, preferably not too far from campus. To be discussed. You will also benefit from transportation to and from school.

c. You will benefit from all in-school professional training available, visits and exchanges to other schools in Bucharest (if scheduled).

d. The school will cover travel expenses from and to your home country upon employment and termination of contract, i.e. one round-trip per 2 year period.

e. I am currently working on the visa issue with a consultancy firm and will contact you with the official info in a few days, but you probably will not have any difficulty in obtaining a EU Romanian working visa as a U.S. citizen from what they have told us so far.

The daily schedule is 8:00-4:00p.m., excepting Friday when the program ends at 2:30p.m. Students have acces to numerous after-school activities.

Teachers also volunteer or are assigned to supervise summer camps at the school-owned Black Sea camp or at our Bucegi Mountain Lodge.
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NG,

a. 1800$ is good. If we assume it is net, is paid 12 months from 12, and the mentioned accommodation is free, then it's just under 6000 RON per month. That would allow you to live comfortably and save too.

If it's not net, and you have to pay something out of that for the housing, and it's only paid for the 9 months of the academic term, then you could be looking at something like 2000 RON per month, which isn't so good. I assume the 'tax free' bit means the salary is net though. It'd be worth clarifying it with them before you sign.

b. You might want to check where the school is before accepting their accommodation. Some of the international schools are up in the 'burbs in the north of town and you might be a little isolated there without a car. You may prefer to live farther from the school but closer to the centre in that case.

Everything else looks good, assuming they keep their word.

All the best,
Mike
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaks for the info. I'll hve to clarify. Right now the biggest problem is the visa for my husband.

They've said that first he needs to get a job, and that employer will get him a visa. Is that right? Ewvery other country I've looked at, when one spouse gets a visa, so does the other.

Know anyting about this?
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know specifically as it's not something I've ever had to look into but I imagine that he'll be able to get a residence visa at the same time as you apply for yours. As for a work visa, he'll probably have to apply for that once he has a work contract somewhere.

You can try contacting Dean from this company: http://www.moorcroft.ro/home/

They deal with visas and other red tape issues in Romania and he might have some advice for you.

Best,
Mike
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks a lot
troglodyte

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by troglodyte on Sat May 04, 2013 2:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in Bucharest. I accepted a position in Asia, pay is about 4K a month, dollars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: