Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hostel-- what can you recommend?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeachTheWorld

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: hostel-- what can you recommend? Reply with quote

Hello out there!

I am landing in BA on April 30th. Can someone please recommend a hostel that gives good CLEAR directions on how to get to it from the airport and is relatively clean, safe and CHEAP?

[I'm looking for a good place to set up camp where I'll be ablke to send resumes and cover letters etc]

THANKS!
Ashby

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm guessing you already have hostel accommodations since today is April 30! Very Happy However, I can recommend the Palermo Suites Hostel. I had a horrible experience arriving in BsAs at 6:00 a.m. in the winter and staying at a drafty hostel with a really bad public bathroom. Thankfully, I only had reserved two nights there. I quickly switched and was very happy at Palermo Suites.

Suerte!
Ashby
TeachTheWorld

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dear Ashby,

THANK you so much! I did have success finding a pretty cheap, clean quiet and surprisingly well-located place! It�s called Augur Hostel and its very close to two Subte lines and the huge Abasto shopping center.

But thank you for your help.
Ashby

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're Welcome! Please post again and let us know how your job hunt goes. I was there during the middle of the school year (August) and had no trouble arranging job interviews and getting job offers. Unfortunately, I was really homesick and missed the boyfriend I left behind way more than I thought I would. I kind of regret leaving now, even though I know it was the right decision for me at the time. Now, I'm saving up for at least a year of RTW travel, which will probably include some time in BsAs. Who knows - maybe I will end up teaching there at some point!
carrizales

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumping this cause i'm interested how things went for you in BA.
TeachTheWorld

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Maybe the market is saturated?!??! Reply with quote

So far, its not going well actually. And i must say I am surprised. From all I had heard, I expected a flood of e-mails in my box. Maybe I have to phone the places? Does anyone know?

I have a TEFL cert from Thailand, and an A in the course. I have a year's experience in Thailand, six months in Manhattan and a 2 years exp as a TEFL volunteer in Turkmenistan w/ the US Peace Corps. All of this is reflected in my cover letter and CV which I send out together w/ the tefl cert. I sent out over 13 CV packages the first night. From this I got ONE response to come and interview.

it was pretty heart-breaking. I've been sending out more CVpackages each day and so far I've been on TWO interviews. One went shitty--the woman was very serious and I don't think she liked me at all. The second woman was full of smiles for me and I was more articulate and prepared and she said she will contact me when she has a student who wishes to study with someone from North America. I mean, she said she'd e-mail me on Monday and today is Monday an d there's nothing so I'm crossing my fingers ....
...and sending out more CVs...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: