Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can You Read? A School to Avoid!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janiny

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Can You Read? A School to Avoid! Reply with quote

The klunkily named "I Can Read" franchise.

They are in the habit of giving out two-year contracts for which they only intend you to serve three months. Although they offer a real nice S$4500 a month, you only get S$3,500 during your "probation" period. Time comes to start paying you the agreed upon amount they look for an excuse to be rid of you. I know several expats who have been chewed up and spit out in this way. What aids and abets them is Singapore law states that an employer does not have to explain an expat employee's dismissal during his first three months under contract. "I Can Read" does at least have the decency to offer their victims a list of trumped up charges.

Ray of Hope:

If you happen to be a citizen or PR (permanent resident) of Singapore they don't dare mess with you. But generally they are not interested in hiring such people.

Yet they are thugs. Once when some other people tried to open a children's literacy center, the owner actually drove by the place one night to bust the windows. Twisted Evil

Last edited by Janiny on Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: CAN YOUU READ? Reply with quote

Is this organisation associated with I Can Read (ICR)?
Janiny

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the very same organization. They are headquartered in Australia, and have branches throughout southeast asia
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: