Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice Please Thailand or Peru

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davescotland

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Advice Please Thailand or Peru Reply with quote

Hi

I am 38 and currently working as a property lawyer i(and part time Uni Tutor) n Scotland. I am not sure with its the current recession or a mid life crisis, but I am seriously looking to change my career and retrain as primary school teacher. Unfortunately the Post Grad course is extremely popular and the earliest I can start would be September 2010 with applications having to submitted in December. To secure a place it will be necessary to demonstrate teaching experience. I am therefore think tha taking a year out to be an ESL would be an ideal opportunity to gain the necessary teaching experience as well as being a great opportunity of travelling and experiencing a different culture.

I have already done as much research as I can online (many thanks to Dave Sperling) and I have narrowed things down to Chiang Mai and Lima. I have visited both cities many times and I have a few friends who could help me settle down which I think is important.

I am also lucky enough to have savings and will have an income of around 600 dollars a month so will not be totally dependent on teaching.

I have decided to sit a full 120 hour TEFL course in the country I intend to work. As I think this gives a better chance of obtainig a job and is a better insight as to wether this is for me. It is quite amazing the number of weekend TEFL courses now being held in Glasgow.

I do however have a few concerns which I hope people can help me with in orfer to make up my mind on whether to go ahead with this and if so which city to head for.

The first main concern I have is as a typical Scotsman I speak fast and have an accent, how would this effect my job opportunities in both Asia and South America ?

Which city has the best TEFL/CELTA programme. As regards Thailand I know that Chiang Mai University has a full TEFL programme, which also offers 1 month voluntary teaching. Does a TEFL from a University carry more kudos. I also notice from this Forum that the American TESOL is doing a course in CM which guarantees a placement after successful completion of the course, does anyone know whether this genuine ?

As regards Peru I can find various courses being held in Cusco and Ecaudor but cannot find much information on reputable courses being held in Lima. Can anyone help.

Which country has the easiest Visa requirements ?

Which country would have the best job opportunities ?

Which country has the cheapest cost of living ? Some people say that 600 dollars be sufficient to live on in Thailand others suggest a minimum if 1,000 dollars. I am not looking to live like a king but at the same time do not want to live as a monk.

I look forward to hearing peoples comments and any hints or tips anyone can offer.

Many thanks.

David
Luna Chica

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Chiang Mai and Lima are very different places. Which one do you think would suit you better?

As far as I am aware there is not a reputable course in TEFL in Lima, but there are plenty of work opportunities. Britannico, ICPNA, NIVEL A etc etc. Really there are heaps of options, I am sure you would have not trouble finding something.

Both my bosses here are Scottish, so it seems that accent is not necessarily a hindrance.

You can easily live on $1000 here and live pretty well if you are a single guy. You can hire rooms with bath etc for less than $100 a month or pick up an apartment for around $200 in the less afluent, but nevertheless fine parts of town.

Chiang Mai you have ready access to some absolutely stunning countryside, in Lima you have access to nice restaurants and all the trimmings that a city of around 8 million has to offer.

Good luck! Being a primary teacher is a challenge, but very rewarding as well.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lims is ok, personally I hate it, but many people like it.

YOu'll have to learn to speak slower, if you can, you should be fine.

There are NO TEFL programmes in LIma, you'll have to go to Cusco.

TEFL from SIT; Trinity or CELTA carries more weight.

WE live on about 800 usd but housing is free since we own it.

Classes, you'll get abut 10usd an hour, just don't expect a visa.
ghostdog

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thailand in general has a much better teaching market than Peru (but not necessarily Chiang Mai, which is overloaded with backpackers pretending to be teachers), is much better value for money, and is probably an easier place to get sponsored for a work visa. That being said, I would personally prefer to live in Peru (though not Lima) but that doesn't mean I haven't been thinking about SE Asia again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: