Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer Positions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebjeb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Summer Positions Reply with quote

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for interesting summer positions in Turkey? I live and teach in Ankara, but my school is out for 4 months. I could go away, away, but I have a lease and cats to deal with. I'll do dershanes if I have to, but I'd love to hear other ideas. Thanks!
dmb

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every year I see a summer camp in Bursa advertise. I don't know the address but I guess they will advertise quite soon. Keep an eye on the job boards.
Otterman Ollie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: summer positions Reply with quote

Hi
The only position one is interested in is the horozontol kind with a beer or five and a naughty nubile member of the tender gender,not thats a real summer position ,any chance of that here I wonder ?
ghost

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Summer positions in Turkey Reply with quote

If you can endure hot conditions from mid June to the end of August you have a chance of working in Antalya, Turkey.

There is a school there called 'Amerika Kultur Dernegi' and they run summer courses there. Many of those courses are for kids so you need patience.

The person to contact there is a guy by the name of Halil Cil, who is a friendly guy and willing to get you started. The advantage with this place is that they do 'short' contracts, which is not always the case with other schools.

Antalya is hot in summer but you have the beach which you can use. It is 3km from the town centre where Amerika Kultur located and you can easily get there by tram.

Poster was offered $15 u.s. an hour to work at Amerika Kultur, and that is the price you should ask for too.

You can find small hotels in Antalya where you can pay about 8-10 million a day if you stay for a month or longer.
ghost

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:09 am    Post subject: correction Reply with quote

Folks in the previous post one made a mistake about the pay rates at Amerikan Kultur, Antalya. Poster was not offered $15 u.s. per hour but rather 15.000.000 (15 million turk lira) turk per hour.

After a gruelling journey from Hanoi (North Vietnam) poster is now in Vientiane, capital of Laos.

The atmosphere in Laos is very different to Vietnam, Thailand, and to a lesser extent Cambodia. The capital (Vientiane) is a small one in comparison to the over crowded cities of Bangkok (Thailand), Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi (Vietnam) and even Phnom Penh (Cambodia). Vientiane only has around 130.000 people, and feels like a big village. The pace of life is slow, and the Laos are a gentle, unaggressive people, especially when comparing them with the pushy, money hungry Vietnamese.

If you like a slow pace of life, then Lao may be for you. There is work for teachers at the following school in Vientiane (Laos).

Home of English Business School, #204 Ban Wat Chanh, Luang Prabang Rd., Vientiane, Lao PDR. Tel: (856-21) 243 321-2
E-mail: [email protected]

The person to speak with is an American by the name of Stephen Billington. There are also other Home of English branches in Cambodia, in Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville, so you can choose your working venue, depending on where you want to be.

Pay rates at Home of English in Vientiane (Laos) vary between $6-$9 dollars an hour, depending on your qualifications and the classes you teach.

Poster is living in a guest house in Vientiane, and paying $6 per day, but if teaching long term (several months) you could get the rate down to about $3 per day. Food costs between $1 to $2 per meal. If you eat in the street like the Laos, you can eat for about 25 cents for a basic meal.
Remember per capita income in Laos is only around $200 a year. Most Laos earn less than $1 a day.

After following the example of an American guru, expert on these parts, poster is no longer eating any meat, but does consume fish. Feeling better for it, and have already lost 2 kilos (do you hear this Yaramaz?....although hard to be a veggie in Turkey with all those delicious doners etc.....).

Living in South East Asia can often be frustrating because of the communication problem. It is all very well to be smiling like a fish all day, but at the end of the day, one needs some hardcore communication which does not fall into the scripted version, so common here.

Turkey is a decent compromise, because the culture is not so radically different from what we know, and one does not feel like an alien there. This is unfortunately the case here....and there is no way to get away from that fact. We will always be "falangs" in these parts (South East Asia)
and that gets tired quickly.
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"smiling like a fish" Confused
Mike_2003

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He'll soon be smelling like one too if he carries on with that diet! Smile
jebjeb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:56 am    Post subject: non teaching? Reply with quote

besides the horizontal one & its variations, are there any ideas for non-teaching positions here in turkey for the summer?
yaramaz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After following the example of an American guru, expert on these parts, poster is no longer eating any meat, but does consume fish. Feeling better for it, and have already lost 2 kilos (do you hear this Yaramaz?....although hard to be a veggie in Turkey with all those delicious doners etc.....).

Ghost, why are you mentioning this to me? I have been mostly vegetarian since I was 14, and am still mostly... though I like the occasional doner. Do you want me to lose weight? If so, why? What business is it of yours? Do you want me to eat fish? (I hate fish btw)

I really don't understand why you were speaking to me specifically.
dmb

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaramaz, I saw you on your website. You like great. Don't listen to anything Ghost says
yaramaz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dmb! I'm still a bit baffled by ghost's remark, especially given the number of self-confessed fat men on Dave's Cafe (especially in the China forum--- they all seem to be happily fat and drunk lol).

At any rate, I think any comments about a person's body or eating habits are really out of line, especially when we dont actually know each other and ESPECIALLY when the actual topic is teaching overseas!!! This is not a diet site... I dont think... Shocked
ghost

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: A fishy question...... Reply with quote

Yaramaz - the remarks about the fish diet were not specifically aimed at you, but since we already did meet (remember June 2003, Kayseri) and knowing your interest in all things pertaining to health and quality of life in general, one thought that the new diet remarks one is going through might be of interest to you.

Diet is important in teaching since, sometimes, teachers make the mistake of consuming a large meal before a class. This is not wise, because the heavy meal will make you lethargic and your pedagogic performance will be less. It is better to go into class slightly hungry, you will have more energy and you will bounce around the class a lot more, and your thinking will be more clear......give it a try.

The American guru convinced me to seriously curtail one's intake of meat, because he has shown one how unhealthy it is to base one's diet on the stuff.

Back to Vientiane, Laos. How does one compare it to living in Turkey? Completely different. The Laos are quiet, unassuming people, and the atmosphere is just chill, however a trifle boring for someone who likes a bit of action. Example, at night one just sits in a bar drinking Lao beer, but none of the Laos get excited or shout, as one would expect in a place where alcohol is served. The most animated thing they (the Laos) might do in a bar setting would be to giggle quietly.

Poster has submitted resume and credentials to 'Home of English Business School' (Vientiane, Laos), but the application is more for information purposes rather than a determination to actually work there.

Options will be weighed as where to teach, and have choices of Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. No rushing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: