Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University of Calgary - Qatar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
curiousbonnie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: University of Calgary - Qatar Reply with quote

Hello. Does anyone have any updated information on this university? The only thing I've seen is about a year old. I believe they hire for the nursing program...what are the students like? Where are they from? Any information about the teaching atmosphere, work load, etc. would be great, too. Thanks.
jdl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try

http://www.ucalgary-qatar.ca/
curiousbonnie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was also hoping to get feedback from people who've worked there? Or who've heard from friends/colleagues who have? Thanks!
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place only teaches nurses from what I've heard. It has a very good reputation here. I met one of the gals teaching there and from what she says, it's a good place to work but they work you hard.

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=269773&version=1&template_id=36&parent_id=16

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/article.asp?cu_no=2&item_no=252883&version=1&template_id=36&parent_id=16
linebacker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha HA HA HA HA...they work you hard...ha ha ha ha

they don't have any students!

all their students went to CNA-Q!
chanchanhae

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linebacker wrote:
Ha HA HA HA HA...they work you hard...ha ha ha ha

they don't have any students!

all their students went to CNA-Q!

CNA-Q- Is it a company that sells vacuums in Canada? Laughing Where in Canada after all? Very Happy I have never heard of a college under this name. On the other hand, UC has a long history and a better reputation and CNA-Q students will flock to UC soon if accepted.
linebacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chanchanhae...you are ignorant of the facts...

U of C only offers nursing, which is beneath a local Qatari to do...

In fact CNA-Q had to keep certain programs at the UC in order to give the appearance of UC having students...I heard that there is only 9 nursing students...none of which are Qatari...the local government won't sponsor a program foo long when no locals are enrolled...

They had some students (perhaps 25 - 30), who realized it would take them 7 - 8 years to become a nurse! Many transferred to CNA-Q to do paramedicine or health sciences...

the joke is on you...I don't see U of C staying around much longer...especially once the American College and Sidra start up.

But hey...whatever floats your boat...
chanchanhae

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linebacker wrote:
chanchanhae...you are ignorant of the facts...

U of C only offers nursing, which is beneath a local Qatari to do...

In fact CNA-Q had to keep certain programs at the UC in order to give the appearance of UC having students...I heard that there is only 9 nursing students...none of which are Qatari...the local government won't sponsor a program foo long when no locals are enrolled...

They had some students (perhaps 25 - 30), who realized it would take them 7 - 8 years to become a nurse! Many transferred to CNA-Q to do paramedicine or health sciences...

the joke is on you...I don't see U of C staying around much longer...especially once the American College and Sidra start up.

But hey...whatever floats your boat...

I don't need to know about the facts, but be reminded that UC is starting slowly and will take over CNA-Q surely. At the end, UC will have its nails rooted in the current CNA-Q buildings. This is the most important coming fact!
curiousbonnie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the article in wilburforce's link, there were nearly 75 students in the program in January. Now there are 9? That's hard to believe.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chanchanhae wrote:
I don't need to know about the facts, but be reminded that UC is starting slowly and will take over CNA-Q surely. At the end, UC will have its nails rooted in the current CNA-Q buildings. This is the most important coming fact!

Didn't you say on the other thread that the new US Community College system will take it over? It sounds like you have a grudge against CNA-Q and are gleefully awaiting its demise to the point of not "needing to know about the facts."

VS
millie18

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CNA-Q does not appear to be imploding anytime soon (the Canadian School is another matter). As others have pointed out, linebacker has a particular point of view, whether it is accurate or not - time will tell. I have noted that the American college system (as opposed to the Canadian college system) will probably be a "step" between the inadequate Qatari public school system (as it now exists and as it does in other GCC countries) and other college systems (such as HCT in UAE). It gives the students another 2 years to get to the point where they have at chance at CNA-Q standards - they won't have any at the American universities here even after 2 years at an American community college level.

It's the EFL and the critical thinking that is their downfall, it's not that they're incapable (as a group) - they've never been taught to learn autonomously or even be remotely curious about the world around them (I blame it on the parents and the social systems rather than schools - if parents wanted to teach their children t think for themselves, they would do so - no matter the obstacles), however limited that might be.

CNA-Q has its problems, mainly administrative and mainly from the higher ups. They're not going to disappear anytime soon.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to be doing alright.

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=local_news&month=june2009&file=local_news200906031227.xml

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=local_news&month=march2009&file=local_news2009031161819.xml
AlBundy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of these posts about how CNA-Q is badly run, etc, are these all about the EFL department or do these apply to other faculties/departments as well?

Could some or most of the complaints arise from the fact that these instructors were not prepared for the stark differences of life in Qatar compared to what they're used to in NA?

Living in a different country, be it Switzerland or Qatar, is difficult; life in the middle east may especially be difficult if you're not prepared for the life style, class-based society, how to handle alone time, bureaucracy, slooowww life, etc.

Should I worry or take into account anything when I'm negotiating my contract?

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: