Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help in Trujillo.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Help in Trujillo. Reply with quote

After reading this forum for a while I have finally decided to make a post and ask for some advice. I live here in Trujillo and am interested in finding work teaching English. Here is my problem..... I have no experience doing this. The only TEFL certification that I have found to be offered here is from UK Vivential and the course that UK offers is only about 30 hours and is $800 U.S. I was also informed by their representative that after completion of this course they would not be able to offer me a position due to lack of students. I am not here to try to take jobs away from Peruvians (I do have another means of income although really want to be teaching) but it seems weird to me that after "training" me on their materials that they would not want to have a native English speaker on their staff. After that short story if anybody has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOn't need certs in Peru, in the five years here, no one has asked to see mine. The fact that you're a native speaker, willing to work for little money and split shifts is all most places care about.

Try heading to the universities or El CUltural.
Ben.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my main question or thought is that I have worked for myself for the last 5 years and as previously stated have no experience teaching. Having said these 2 things my CV would look pretty blank. Yes I am a native speaker is this all that they are really looking for? I'm sure they would offer some sort of training? Or is it even a possibility to get hired with no experience? If anyone has any knowledge or experience with El Cutural, UPAO, or UNT and could give me some more feedback that would be great. Thanks again. And thank you Naturegirl for your reply.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOn't worry you'll be fine. I've seen plenty of kids fresh out of uni do it. You can too. Peru's the new China, minus the benefits

Play up your self employment, organised, self motivated, finds materials. What were you doing? Apply it to teaching, explains things well, associates well with people. PUt it on your CV.

As for no teaching experince, like I said, youll be fine. You have a BA, right? YOu're a native speaker? YOu'll get the job. Probably not a visa. Few and far between language schools get them. ONly Britanico who recruits through babelfishrecruitment does.

NO training for most places. YOu're given a book and told to teach. Still, they usually have a teacher's book that has in addition to answers, extra worksheets, games and quizzes. As for grammar, that's in the teacher's book too. And the students' book.

ghostdog knows about Trujillo. So do Luna Chica and keepwalking Try PMIng them.

Expect about 5 usd an hour. Try also Fleming. yOU might be able to get some tutoring work there.
Luna Chica

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, go and visit El Cultural on Larco and Husares de Junin or Britanico vivential also on Larco. They will probably hire you. El Cultural also has a good library up on the top floor where you can read lots of professional teaching books to get ideas. El Cultural is more organised than Britanico though.

Without teaching experiences Fleming would not be an option.

If you have any specific questions PM me and I will answer them
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help in Trujillo. Reply with quote

Ben. wrote:
I was also informed by their representative that after completion of this course they would not be able to offer me a position due to lack of students. I am not here to try to take jobs away from Peruvians (I do have another means of income although really want to be teaching) but it seems weird to me that after "training" me on their materials that they would not want to have a native English speaker on their staff. After that short story if anybody has any advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

It's probably becuase they would have to pay you a lot more than the locals. What about another job? LIke translation? Or something geared towards gringos?
mattelliot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, im working at uk vivential, i cant believe they turned a native speaker away :O ive been working here for 3 months its 400 soles per class you teach. msg me if you want more info (you dont need certs)
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOw many hours for the 400 soles?
_kojak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was working at UK Vivential (was UK Britanico then) they paid me 305 dollars a month...I think that works out to be around 900 soles.

400 per class sounds great since I was teaching 3 to 4 classes per month. Maybe I should look at going back. Is Janet still head honcha?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, how many hours do you have to do to get the 400?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: