Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dominican Republic/ Santo Domingo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skijaybo97

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Dominican Republic/ Santo Domingo Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am thinking about moving to Santo Domingo to teach English. However, I lack any firsthand knowledge about the people, living and life in general down there. I was hoping that someone would be kind enough to leave me some information. I was also wondering if this is a standard contract for Americans down there(I am TESOL certified and have a B.A in English but have no experience teaching):
Monthly Salary- 2,191.18usd
Health Insurance
Housing up to 500usd
Round Trip ticket
This is from The Ashton School so if anyone knows about that I would love to hear about it.
Thanks,
J
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...take it, if you have an offer. can't be worse than sitting in some cubicle doing telemarketing.

where did you see the ad?

p.s. i checked out the school and blacklists...looks legit. but, of course scroll down on one of the names and try to contact one of the Academic teachers by email.
Skijaybo97

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding johninmaine,
I found the job at www.esljobfind.com
I will try to contact one of the other teachers, that seems like a great idea.
What sites do people use to check out schools? I have tried to find blacklist sites or ones that rate schools but haven't been successful.
Thanks again,
J
pirateinpanama

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better beware that it's not a "bait 'n switch" tactic.
The $$$ is too good for this part of the world especially for DR.
Needless to say, check and recheck ! Good luck.
john_n_carolina

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....Skijaybo, i usually follow www.teflschoolreviews.com (used to be TEFLWatch.com)

or....Dave Sperling also suggests.... www.esljudge.com
Patinpanama

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: DR Reply with quote

A friend is leaving the DR and wants to give away his hours to anyone already in DR that wants to teach business professionals. Any takers?
CG1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all..

I'm just joining the forum and noticed these posts. I have actively been seeking a teaching position in the DR. I am available immediately and am open to teach either children or business professionals.

If there are any opportunities still available that anyone may know of, I would greatly appreciate the info!

Thanks!
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was this job actually legit then?

I'd also go with the 'not legit' or 'bait and switch'...just curious if the OP went for it or not.
mangotoucu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skijaybo97, I was just wondering if you ever decided to go and teach for The Ashton School, and if so, what has your experience been with them so far?
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: It's now 2014!! but.. Reply with quote

That offer could not have been genuine! So beware of this school. To compare: In Ecuador I taught at an elite private school; I got 450/month, no housing help, my visa was covered--which is unusual for Ecuador-- but my airfare wasn't... and Ecuador is actually not as poor as people think. I was there in 2011..in 2014 I had a job offer of 600/month--which they assured me was more than they paid other teachers since I have a lot of experience-- and no visa, housing or airfare help.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

$600 a month teaching English in Ecuador or the Domincan Republic is a bad joke...I understand that these positions are for those North Americans who have no other choice in making money. I can understand it beats being on welfare and being homeless anyday...but this pay is ridiculous for qualified and experienced EFL professionals. My advice is do not teach in Latin America or the Caribbean for money..teach there as a volunteer and remember you will pay everything just to be there. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: It's now 2014!! but.. Reply with quote

lagringalindissima wrote:
That offer could not have been genuine! So beware of this school. To compare: In Ecuador . . .

The D.R. is not Ecuador. This offer is consistent with the types of offers that are made by international schools in the D.R., and Ashton is one of a number of reputable international schools in Santo Domingo. And, like most of its peer institutions, it's accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools in the U.S. You can learn more about Ashton here http://tas.edu.do/ashtonweb/ . You can also make inquiries about the quality of specific international schools in the D.R. on the forums at www.dr1.com . Many of the expats on those forums have children enrolled in schools such as Ashton and can give you more specific information about schools you might be interested in.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Hello there,

$600 a month teaching English in Ecuador or the Domincan Republic is a bad joke...I understand that these positions are for those North Americans who have no other choice in making money. I can understand it beats being on welfare and being homeless anyday...but this pay is ridiculous for qualified and experienced EFL professionals. My advice is do not teach in Latin America or the Caribbean for money..teach there as a volunteer and remember you will pay everything just to be there. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

The problem with what you are saying is that MOST teachers in Latin America are NOT professional teachers with training, but rather arrogant Americans who think because they more or less SPEAK English they can teach it, and feel entitled to salaries that are much higher than what locals with more credentials are paid. And no one every mentions how much lower the cost of living is - that also makes a HUGE difference.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

35 years ago I made more money teaching English in the Caribbean than those who say they are earning $600 0r $800/month now. I cannot believe salaries for EFL teachers have decreased since that time..what that tells me is that these positions advertised in the Caribbean Islands are for desperate North Americans who will take anything that comes their way as they are unqualified to teach English elsewhere! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
35 years ago I made more money teaching English in the Caribbean than those who say they are earning $600 0r $800/month now.

With the exception of the disgruntled poster from Ecuador (which is NOT in the Caribbean), nobody on this thread has made any claims about making salaries in the $600-800 range while working in the Caribbean. On the contrary, the OP made an inquiry about the legitimacy of a contract offering 2,191.18/month plus $500 housing and other benefits--an offer, which I already pointed out, is consistent with what similar international schools in the D.R. offer to foreign teachers.

My last job in the Caribbean (in the mid-1990s, at a junior college in neighboring Puerto Rico) paid $1500/month (or $18,000/year). Can you find jobs in the $600-800/month salary range? Of course, but you have other options as well.

It sounds like you were in the Caribbean in the late 1970s. What country did you teach in? What type of school were you at? What was your salary range?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: