Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Entering VN on visa from US
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t_crane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Entering VN on visa from US Reply with quote

Is getting a 30 day tourists visa in the USA the best option prior to arrival?

Are the entry dates flexible? For example, you want to arrive within a 2 month period that is loose, so the visa isn't with a fixed dates and will be activated upon arrival?

Then, change it over? easy to do? 30 days enough time. Can tourists visa be for a longer period?

Thanks.
inky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visa is valid for the 30-day time period on the visa. You can arrive any time during those 30 days, they don't care, but you must either renew/extend the visa or leave the country by the end date. In other words, you cannot do what you are hoping to do.
Texas_blu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can tourists visa be for a longer period?

Yes, a 6 month tourist visa looks like it would be your best option and is the easiest to renew as they all can only be renewed for the same time period as they were issued.

example:

30 day renewed 30 days more

6 month renewed 6 months more
t_crane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inky wrote:
The visa is valid for the 30-day time period on the visa. You can arrive any time during those 30 days, they don't care, but you must either renew/extend the visa or leave the country by the end date. In other words, you cannot do what you are hoping to do.

In other words, I'll have to plan the flight departure date with the start date of the 30 day tourist visa as close or exact as I can to get the full 30 days.

I was hoping that the 30 day tourist visa would be valid for 6 months for example, and when I arrive at the airport within that six month time frame, the visa would be activated upon arrival.

No?
Texas_blu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
was hoping that the 30 day tourist visa would be valid for 6 months for example, and when I arrive at the airport within that six month time frame, the visa would be activated upon arrival.

No?

No Alice, this isn't wonderland.
Texas_blu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\home\My Documents\My Pictures\My Pictures[/img]
t_crane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_blu wrote:
Quote:
was hoping that the 30 day tourist visa would be valid for 6 months for example, and when I arrive at the airport within that six month time frame, the visa would be activated upon arrival.

No?

No Alice, this isn't wonderland.

Still mishandling the product?

Since the dates apparently are not flexible I'll have to time the place ticket, moving out of my apartment, and visa, for the same day, or near that.
inky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red my reply again. You can arrive whenever you want within a 30 day period. But the 30 days start from the date of your visa. You request the start date. Or just go to Bangkok and two days before you want to arrive, get your visa. A hundred thousand people before you have figured this out.
t_crane

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inky wrote:
Red my reply again. You can arrive whenever you want within a 30 day period. But the 30 days start from the date of your visa. You request the start date. Or just go to Bangkok and two days before you want to arrive, get your visa. A hundred thousand people before you have figured this out.

I've done the Bangkok trip just to get the visa before.

Waste of time and money.

Fly to Bangkok. Wait for 4 or 5 days. Buy another plane ticket to Saigon.

Retarded.
Green Acres

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visas will now be further scrutinized, by the central scrutinizer. One must have a work permit to get a business visa, or to stay in the country for more than a month.

This has always been the law, but it seems this week they have begun enforcing it. More than 2,000 visa applications were returned this week, and the number should be even greater next week. Learn the law and abide by it, since one must do this, but also because it's "get foreigner month" at the central scrutinizer. So long as the economy conintues to bottom, foreigners will serve a great scapegoat. Scapegoat charlie, out.
inky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"More than 2,000 visa applications were returned this week."
Can you cite a reliable source for the statistic you have mentioned?

t_crane, you have to learn to read more carefully. I suggested that you just stop off in BKK (or PP, Hong Kong, wherever) on your circuitous 6-month journey, to get your VN visa when you actually know you need it. I don't understand why, if you've already been in VN, and you've renewed a visa by going to BKK from SGN, you are so confused about the visa process. Fascinating.
Green Acres

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could give you my source, but then I would have to kill you. If you want verification, then talk with travel agents and people who work with visa renewals.
inky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words, you have no idea what you're talking about.
t_crane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inky wrote:
t_crane, you have to learn to read more carefully. I suggested that you just stop off in BKK (or PP, Hong Kong, wherever) on your circuitous 6-month journey, to get your VN visa when you actually know you need it. I don't understand why, if you've already been in VN, and you've renewed a visa by going to BKK from SGN, you are so confused about the visa process. Fascinating.

You are making assumptions, and they're incorrect.

I am not on a 6 month journey. I am in the US. I am flying direct to Vietnam. But I have to plane job resignation, apartment, car sale, etc.

This is why a solid set date to fly out is not as fixed as I'm hoping it would be.
t_crane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Acres wrote:
Visas will now be further scrutinized, by the central scrutinizer. One must have a work permit to get a business visa, or to stay in the country for more than a month.

This has always been the law, but it seems this week they have begun enforcing it. More than 2,000 visa applications were returned this week, and the number should be even greater next week. Learn the law and abide by it, since one must do this, but also because it's "get foreigner month" at the central scrutinizer. So long as the economy conintues to bottom, foreigners will serve a great scapegoat. Scapegoat charlie, out.

I am good with this. I am getting my FBI background check which is clean, and I have a BA and TEFL certificate.

I can get a work permit and have original documents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: