Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to go to read about openings?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinamarym1027

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Where to go to read about openings? Reply with quote

If you had a CELTA, BA, 6 years of experience teaching in Egypt, and 5 teaching ESL in Asia, where would you start your job search?

I have a good job outside of Cairo but would love to move to Cairo, especially Maadi.

Last edited by tinamarym1027 on Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
juliagirl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:41 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I'd wait for the no-show ads....
justcolleen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not every school is in panic mode at the moment because many won't start until after Eid so the peak hiring season is far from over.
tinamarym1027

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are the best places to look for the no-show ads?
tinamarym1027

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I like the school where I'm at (as you can see from a new thread) and have decided there's no need to try to find something at the last minute. I'd still be interested in learning how people here find openings....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new thread is gone. Did you post a job ad? That isn't allowed, so it probably got snatched away. Laughing There is a section on this website with paid job ads.

There are lots of sites around the web that have job ads and I guess they will pop up with google. I suspect that many of them don't advertise internationally... and especially for last minute openings, they are probably counting on local media and word of mouth.

If I were you, I would go to Cairo with a handful of CVs and drop them off at the schools that you are interested in... telling them you are available in case they need more teachers NOW or next month. Of course, you will likely end up as local hire if you haven't honed your "Egyptian" bargaining skills. Laughing

VS
tinamarym1027

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks VS,

As I told the moderator, I wasn't really intending to post a job ad. I've read people saying they're coming and asking where to find a job. I just wanted to say my school has openings. Smile I know there's a section for paid ads--I've already told the administration, but I think they're too cheap to pay for an ad. What they'll do is wait until the last minute to find the teachers they need while dumping extra sessions on those of us there. Confused I was trying to save myself that irritation (now that I've decided to stay anyway). I've found some different websites that advertise jobs, but I never see any for Egypt. If you know some specific websites, would you mind posting them? (if that's allowed)
justcolleen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinamarym1027 wrote:
What they'll do is wait until the last minute to find the teachers they need while dumping extra sessions on those of us there.

Packing for Egypt requires two suitcases, one full of patience and the other full of a sense of humor.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... I think Tina knows that already. Laughing

I don't really know any sites... and would merely be hitting "The Google" or the local English press there.

VS
tinamarym1027

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I'd completely forgotten about the "local English press"--if you can even call those newspapers "press." I'll check them out. Thanks!

Three bags: one for sense of humor, one for patience, and an empty one to put all those questions with answers like "malish," "bokra," "inshaa Allah..." Rolling Eyes
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes... the Egyptian IBM... Cool

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: