Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I just show up in Chiang Mai and find a teaching job?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Can I just show up in Chiang Mai and find a teaching job? Reply with quote

Hello out there. I am a Canadian certified teacher with a few months experience teaching ESL in Japan. I am thinking about just showing up in Chiang Mai and looking for work from there. I have faxed resumes and cover letters to some schools, but time is wasting for me since I am running low on cash.
Has anyone out there had success finding work on the spot? Is this a bad time of year for finding work since it is the middle of the school year?

Is it hard to get a work visa once inside the country (I have yet to even look into the visa info)?

I am definitely interested in schools that have an appreciation for creativity-any hints on where to apply.

Thanks very much for advice, encouragement and wisdom.
sperling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Klink -

Back in 1988 (wow ... that's a long time ago!) I just showed up in Chiangmai and managed to find work. Thailand is inexpensive, so it shouldn't cost you much for room and board while waiting to land a job. Where to teach? Well, my info is a bit out of date, but you might consider Chiangmai University, Payap University, and AUA. Here are some websites that may prove useful:

http://www.chiangmai.net/

http://www.chiangmainews.com/

http://www.chiangmainews.com/

http://www.eslcafe.com/jobinfo/asia/sefer.cgi?Thailand

I'm actually heading to Chiangmai on February 9, so drop me some e-mail and I'll try to find out some more information for you.

All the best,

Dave Sperling
Founder
Dave's ESL Cafe
http://www.eslcafe.com
Klink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:24 pm    Post subject: Showing up in Chiang Mai Reply with quote

Hey there. Many thanks for your help.

I have a friend living in Chiang Mai who has offered me a place to stay (which will make survival a lot easier on my slim cash supply). She has gathered two different bits of info about when the Thai school year starts - either in March or September. I am not really clear-anyone??

Thing is, I am out of work in Canada (just finished my ed degree four weeks ago)-so I'm trying to decide on putting my energy into working and saving here for a while, or just going there (because I know that I'll end up there anyways) and getting at it-probably arriving mid-March or so.

Thanks for the school referrals too Dave-I am impressed by your efficiency and knowledge.

As for dressing formally, are we talking suit and heels?

Cheers and happy days.
Paul G

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of quotes from Bell schools about the dress for female teachers in Thailand.

"Teachers have high status in Thailand, and are expected to dress smartly and conservatively for work. For men, this means a shirt and tie, and shoes (no sandals or trainers). For women it means no trousers or open-toes shoes, exposed shoulders, and generally 'conservative' attire."

"What exactly is the dress for female staff?
A basic 'teaching wardrobe' should include comfortable shoes which cover your toes, long skirts (to cover knees if not ankles!), blouses with short or long sleeves (no sleeveless), and a smart jacket for ceremony days. Although clothes are generally cheap in Thailand, larger sizes (12+) are hard to find cheaply. Bring the basics out with you. "

Hope this helps.
sperling
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Klink -

Check out these articles on Thai etiquette

http://www.track-of-the-tiger.com/html/etiquette.html

http://asiatours.net/thailand/info/customs.html

All the best,

Dave Sperling
Founder
Dave's ESL Cafe
http://www.eslcafe.com
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: It's possible Reply with quote

I "showed up" in Chiang Mai last May. I had enough to live on for a few months so I could refuse the first several bad offers that came along. I did take a part time, cash-paid position for a month while looking for something better. Finally jumped through the hoops at a language school, where I was quite happy teaching.

I'd reccomend that you stay away from the technical/vocational schools (they have names like such-and-such "Technology College" or "Technical University"). They offered the worst pay and most hours. You would be equally miserable at a public or private school for kids: underpaid, overworked and very likely working with limited resources in non-airconditioned buildings.

I've met generally happy people working for yes, the language schools: AUA, the British Council (B.C. is choosey about experience though. I think you need 2 years), Teya, and CEC. ECC also has a branch in Chiang Mai and they offered the lowest pay of all the language schools. I also know some happy folks working for Payap University.

Almost everyone works 2 jobs because the schools can never give you enough hours.

Good Luck.
Stephen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in Chiang Mai for a bit over a year for a Thai Primary School. The one I worked for recruited directly from the UK, but I know that, at least when I was there, some of the private primary and secondary schools did recruit locally. Sorry, I can't remember much in the way of details, but they would be able to supply you with a full teaching schedule. Your friend might be able to suggest some schools to try.
March/April would probably be a good time to look for jobs there. Thai academic year starts in May, but obviously some teachers may be leaving in conjunction with the western academic year Salaries should be competitive for Chiang Ma,i compared to say Brit. Counci, and the holidays will be goodl.

As far as language schools go there is a British Council, AUA ( which stands for American University Alumini, I think). There is (or at least was an Australian Centre which taught EFL). Also for jobs in Thailand, you could try the websites for The Nation and The Bangkok Post which are the two English language newspapers. Sorry, I don't know them but try running a search on yahoo/google etc.

Regarding the dress posting by Paul G, I think it is spot on. Exposed shoulders are a big no-no for women when teaching. I've never quite understood why this is as when wearing traditional Thai costume one shoulder is fully exposed. But judging from the experience of my female former colleagues, it is not acceptable. Also looking smart is a must (both for men and women.) With clothes, it is important to remember the temperature (very hot, especially in April/May.)

Hope this helps
Stephen
stgeorge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you want to save a little but forget it. There is no chance of saving anything in Thailand. If lucky you may manage to recover your expenses (flight, accomodation etc.).
Stephen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klink

I notice you said your certified, do you mean certified to work in the Canadian School system. If so, check out whether there is an international school in the area. I'm not to sure about it, you'd need to research it, but an international school will pay you a lot more than EFL work; otherwise, stgeorge is right you won't save big money. You should have enough to holiday well on a language school/local primary or secondary school salary, but Thailand isn't expensive. If you're TEFL/TESOL certified as opposed to state school the international school option does not apply.

Stephen
Albulbul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: your and you're Reply with quote

"your certified" (Stephen)

Is this a typo or just another professional English teacher who does not know the difference between YOUR and YOU'RE ?
Stephen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a typo, but thanks for pointing it out, where would we be in this world with out the mindlessly pedantic who have nothing constructive to offer, yet still have the time to share their (note not they're) pedanticness with others

Stephen
hanisay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: just show up Reply with quote

I work at an international school in Chiang Mai and during the past few months, we've had about 4 new teachers hired that just sort of showed up and found a job there. I don't know about the other international schools, but if ours has had vacancies all year long, others might also. If you're not public school certified, you get paid a little less, but it's still a lot more than the average salary in Chiang Mai. Good luck.
markoinbangkok

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is a typo, but thanks for pointing it out, where would we be in this world with out the mindlessly pedantic who have nothing constructive to offer, yet still have the time to share their (note not they're) pedanticness with others...

Well said. But I have to take issue with the word 'pedanticness'! Very Happy

The bloke who wrote that tedious note has two 'bul's in his name. That's about right! Wink

Anyhoo; If you have some where to stay in Chaing Mai, and enough for bus fares and food, then just show up, start at the bottom, and work your way slowly/quickly to the top.

Being there is most of the work!
itchy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Thai Etiquette and dress: "Teachers have high status in Thailand, and are expected to dress smartly and conservatively for work. For men, this means a shirt and tie, and shoes (no sandals or trainers). For women it means no trousers or open-toes shoes, exposed shoulders, and generally 'conservative' attire." - all this in 90 to 100 degree weather, 365 days a year? You've got to be kidding? In Taiwan I wore bermuda shorts and a t-shirt to work, and I sweat like a pig the whole time. In a shirt and tie in tropical weather I think I'd die. This has to be a joke, right? Have you ever been to Thailand? Do you know how hot it is there?
markoinbangkok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wear Bermuda shorts and a t-shirt to ANY teaching job in Thailand you will have effectively quit!

Sure it is hot, so get a job that has air conditioned classrooms!

Teachers are revered in Thailand, especially the further away from Bangkok you get. Dress the same way to work as you would do at a job interview...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: