Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Black Woman ESL teacher with Family thinking about Vietnam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenearth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Black Woman ESL teacher with Family thinking about Vietnam Reply with quote

I am about to take my CELTA. I have a degree and 2 years experience teaching ESL in Korea .

1. I am wondering if any ESL teachers bring there families to Vietnam?

2. Any Expats homeschooling their children in Vietnam?

3. Does race really matter if you are qualified?

Thanks for your input!
snollygoster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Black woman ESL teacher in Vietnam Reply with quote

The world of equal opportunity simply does not exist in reality in Vietnam.
There are other postings on this forum that deal with the color issue, and as ridiculous as it is, the reality is that black people are not often offered employment by the ESL establishments run by Vietnamese.
The ones run by foreigners are not subject to this prejudice, and I suggest an enquiry or two first to places like Apollo, ILA, ACET, CLEVERLEARN, could be helpful.
Their sites etc can be viewed from the blog (posted below) about getting a job in Vietnam-there is a link from this blog to another forum where full contact details are available.
Being a woman unfortunately can have its drawbacks in SOME places, and particularly in the north (I can hear outctries already), there is a marked perception of a "womans place" in society. The women in Vietnam are the real backbone of the country, but they rarely get the recognition- sad but the reality of it- Doesnt mean its a universal truth, just that theres enough of it to be noticeable. HCMC (Saigon) is less likely to show this prejudice than the north.
Kids? Probably home schooling is the best bet, although there are some good international schools, with a price tag.

Sounds negative, but of course there are people in similar situations to yours who are making a success of it- but I would hate you to think there will be NO prejudice here. So much for Buddhist compassion.

MOD EDIT
mjc_mjc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snollygoster - its a big decision for someone to move their family here so it's best to try and give some accurate information. Also, no one asked you for your skewered opinion of women in society in VN.

Greenearth

1. Yes many ESL teachers here have families - no worries.

2. Homeschooling is entirely up to you as it is any parent. You are not subject to any law that requires your children to be in an educational institution. Vietnam has a wide range of international schools, private schools, and public schools.

3. Very sadly, yes. To me, no. To owners and directors of schools, no. To the students, yes. It's the student base that continue to dislike teachers who are of a different race. I say different race as I am not 100% sure of every race they discriminate against. However, from my experiences it's mostly Black and Asian. The students are the customers, and it is solely them whom have the prejudice and power to dictate who can and can't teach them. It really is the ESL industry that struggles with EEO, I have several Black and Asian friends working in a variety of industries and positions in VN. What is it like in Korea??
Greenearth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. am still thinking about it.
Green Acres

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you lived and worked in Korea for a number of years, then you can make it in Vietnam.

The biggest question, regardless of race or gender, is why would you want to come here? You will receive less pay, benefits, and personal space in exchange for more pollution, traffic jams and ridiculousness. Take a closer look at Malaysia, Borneo, Indonesia, Japan, Taiwan, etc. Might be a better situation there that is in the same region but different than Korea.
inky

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...why would you want to come here?"
The real question is this: Why, if it's so terrible, and there are so many wonderful options available, are you here?
mickeyrex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you talk about "family" that's pretty vague. Unless you have a big backup plan, this move would be a tragedy in the making. If you're desperate, China would be better on many levels.
mickeyrex

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you talk about "family" that's pretty vague. Unless you have a big backup plan, this move would be a tragedy in the making. If you're desperate for a move, China would be better on many levels.
Green Acres

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes you think I'm in Vietnam? I recommend a pass on Vietnam for the next 5 years, perhaps then they will have their act together, but I doubt it. The place is a powder keg with a fuse that's just waiting to go off. It surely will, though when and to what extent is still wide open. Who will the government side with -- industry or workers? As the foreign capital continues to dry up, will they readjust their social figures so they can be eligible for more NGO money, or will they continue to claim that they are more than just a 3rd world totalitarian regime?

Anyone who moves to Vietnam for any reason will see their standard of living decline over time. This is the argument I will defend. No offense inky, I know you've been here a while and you have a pretty good situation up there in the capitol. Those who have been here a while have different circumstances than the newly hired and arriving.
inky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone who is in teaching in Vietnam was new once. People either learn to deal with it, or they leave. As for your 'powder keg' comments, I hope people realize that's just your private rumination, not based on anything factual.

"I recommend a pass on Vietnam for the next 5 years..." What is magical about 5 years? Why not 4 years? Or 6? Your comments are just empty, idle speculation. Start planning now to go to Vietnam in 2014, when they will have their act together! Offer some solid information, like what the weather's like, please, otherwise you're just spreading silly rumors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: