Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's talk about heat....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ckiddart

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Let's talk about heat.... Reply with quote

How hot is hot?
Is it brow-sweat hot? armpit sweat hot? or soak the back of your shirt hot? or worse? Or is it 'so hot that it makes you feel tired' hot?
And, for those of you who are working in Vietnam right now, how many of you actually have air conditioning where you live and work and is it actually used, or work well?
Are there places where a person can go to get a break from the heat? swimming? museums? simply stopping into a store on the street and spending some time in it just because it has air conditioning? etc..
And how much do people in Vietnam care about sweat and body odor? Is everyone just walking around sweating their *** off?
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An inappropriate posting has been deleted.

If you think we tolerate insulting and belittling comments here, you obviously have us confused with other boards you visit. Future comments along these lines will earn you a permanent ban to include your iSP.
inky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is enough air conditioning to keep you alive here. All ex-pats survive here. All Vietnamese survive. I think you owe it to the people whose replies were removed to explain more about your specific concerns. Where have you previously lived? Do you have health issues related to intense heat/humidity (and, in the end, it's definitely the humidity that gets to you). Please explain your specific, personal concerns, and then maybe you'll get some useful replies.
ckiddart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have never lived in any Asian country before, I spent the month of August traveling to Hong Kong, Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia and Myanmar. It was hot and humid and I was sweaty the whole time, but it was great. I just would hate to have to teach in a super hot classroom and be all sweaty all day long. But it is nice to hear that most places have air conditioning. I don't have any specific health concerns regarding heat, but I have to say that sometimes it makes me tired. I just think back to a few days this spring that were super hot over here in Connecticut when I was doing my student teaching in a building that did not have any AC. It was not very pleasant. The kids were sweaty, tired, lethargic and uncomfortable and so was I. One kid even fainted. But I guess kids over there are used to the heat, and I would eventually get used to it to. Or maybe I just need to get used to being a little sweatier than I am accustomed to being.

MOD EDIT
inky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if you're coming to Hanoi you'll need a warm hat, sweater and scarf for the winter months!
mjc_mjc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autumn is just around the corner.... Cool Get the firewood ready!
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it can drop to 12 degrees C or so in december

C A M B O D I A

try it and see Cool
denise76

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're coming to HCMC, it's pretty much always hot. Of course there are different degrees of 'hot'...but overall you'll rarely need long sleeves. There are a couple of months that are extremely humid, however, aside from this it's tolerable (but then again I'm partial to the heat :). There are plenty of outdoor pools to cool off in and evenings are lovely in my opinion. If you're looking for more of a variation in temperatures, head to Hanoi. You'll need a jacket.
denise76

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and I forgot to mention...in my experience, most schools have air con. Plus most houses as well (mainly in the bedrooms though)...I never had any issues in that regards...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: