Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

in bucharest now; possibly moving here for a year

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ouroboros42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: in bucharest now; possibly moving here for a year Reply with quote

Hi all,

this forum seems pretty dead, but i thought i'd give it a try and see if anyone can help me.

I'm in bucharest right now, but only for a few days before returning to the US. In all likelihood I will be coming back here in October to live for a year, possibly two (my boyfriend got a job there).

I am just looking to keep myself busy/employed and thought teaching english would probably be my best bet. I have a university degree in psychology, but no TEFL certificate as yet (I'm going to try to get it in the next month when I'm in the States).

If anyone knows of a school hiring newbies from the US, then please, pass on the info! I looked around today, but the city is mass confusion as of yet, though i'm getting my bearings.

thanks for the help!
laura
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Unfortunately Bucharest doesn't have a lot of language schools, unlike other capitals in Eastern and Central Europe. A few establishments (Lexis, Fides, Echo) have open courses but generally employ Romanians and mostly only when they have clients. They might have occasional contracts for native speakers which you could pick up, but rarely. There are probably a few smaller companies but most offer corporate training rather than open courses and are unlikely to have regular classes/work contracts available.

There are also some better-known places like International House and the British Council. The BC is probably out as I think you're a US citizen but IH might be worth a try.They're not big payers, though.

The best option would be to go for the international schools but competition is fierce and without qualifications and experience and considering how many people seem to be coming here at the moment looking to teach. it'll be tricky to land a decent job.

Also, you'll have to consider the residence permit situation. Some of these companies may employ you, as a native speaker, but some of them might not want to go through the hassle of arranging a work permit and residency for you, which is a bureaucratic pain in the behind, especially if they have locals or EUers knocking on their doors for jobs.

The last option might be kindergarten work. I've heard that they often like to have a native speaker as it's good for image. It probably won't pay a lot but if you're just looking for some top-up cash and something to keep you busy, this might work.

All the best,
Mike
ouroboros42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Mike.

Yeah I figured I might have a problem finding decent work, it's always hard to break into a new field...but I'd even be willing to do volunteer work as I don't really need the money. The visa situation is under control so I don't need a school to provide me with one either.

Do you know any schools offering the kindergarten work? I'd much prefer to teach kids and it'd be a good way to gain experience, I think. Or any institutions doing charity work? I'm not finding much on the internet and figure i'll take advantage of someone who knows the scene....

I looked at IH but it seems they want at least 2 years experience, though I'll probably submit an application just in case no one with experience is looking to work there...

Well it's a nice day outside so i'll get to romping around the city.

thanks again,
laura
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Laura,

I don't know of any kindergartens specifically looking for teachers at the moment, but I imagine this is about the right time to try. You could simply go through a list of them and cold call as they might not be advertising but might be interested in discussing the idea of adding a native speaker to their books. You could try some of the ones in the north of the city (Baneasa, Pipera, Floreasca, Corbeanca, etc.) as those are the well-to-do neighbourhoods where a native might be an interesting pull for their clients.

This company sometimes advertises jobs - there are a couple of teaching jobs on there right now but in international schools so they might want experience and/or a teaching qual.:

http://www.englishlanguagejobs.com/candidates/jobs/?region_id=17

Another site you might look at is this one:

http://www.bestjobs.ro/search/searchresults/domeniu_sel/35/oras_sel/10

I'm not sure how good your Romanian is. Are you by any chance of Romanian origin? I only ask because you are from the states but don't need a visa and also the 'boros' in your nick is a Romo-Hungarian surname. Of course, if it's confidential there's no need to answer. Smile

If you do know Rom, however, it would certainly make it easier to find a job at a kindergarten as you frequently come across the atitude of 'you can't teach English without knowing Romanian' here.

As for charities, Romania is full of them and I'm sure any one of them would like to have a volunteer. You might even think about setting up some programme to teach English for free to orphaned kids or something like that.

Best,
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Romania All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: