Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cusco- a teaching job for solo three months ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theadora

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: cusco- a teaching job for solo three months ? Reply with quote

Pretty much looking for a teaching position in Cusco for three months.
I know most sites say 6-12 month contracts but I'm hoping to work casually
until December. Fingers crossed!

Can anyone suggest a list of schools to go and drop in on and harass for work?

Thanks for any suggestions.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximo NIvel and Excel might be worth looking at.
formality.register

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maximo Nivel is out of the question, considering that they only hire on 6 month or more contracts so as to look "professional". Excel is certainly possible, although they only hire directly before the end of the month ... and probably won't guarantee you a full load of classes. You should probably avoid ICPNA, because they will most likely want you for longer and try to put you through an observed lesson period.

If I were you, I'd see the prospects of teaching for one of the two universities, which have very few native english teachers and would be happy to have you on board, if only for a few months. Head over to the Universidad Nacional de San Antonio Abad on Avenida de la Cultura and find your way to the Centro de Idiomas. Talk to the director, who is there in the morning until about 10 and in the evening starting at around 5, and she'll probably find some work for you as the language school is constantly expanding.

Or you could check out the other university, Andina, whose language school is also on Avenida de la Cultura (don't go to the actual university to apply).

If all else fails, place an ad in Rueda de Negocios with your qualifications offering private classes. If you're a native speaker, then don't sell yourself for less than S./15 per hour ... go for S./20 if you have lots of experience/qualifications.

Suerte,
F.R
cindygettis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Cusco Reply with quote

Hello! I was working in Cusco this year and was able to get a job at Excel for just a few months. They are really flexible there, and they never asked me to sign anything. We were planning to stay 6 months, but ended up staying 3 because I kept getting sick in Cusco. Excel was a nice place to work and they gave me Spanish lessons in exchange for teaching. I know that Maximo Nivel does require a 6 month contract and ICPNA is now requiring that their teachers have work Visas. Apparently the government is really cracking down on that.
sistaray

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Cusco Reply with quote

cindygettis wrote:
I know that Maximo Nivel does require a 6 month contract and ICPNA is now requiring that their teachers have work Visas. Apparently the government is really cracking down on that.

Can you tell more? What have you heard / experienced? I thought with the new 180-day tourist visas the gov't was almost tacitly accepting 'hey, we have people here doing more than just tourism.'
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching in Cusco Reply with quote

sistaray wrote:
cindygettis wrote:
I know that Maximo Nivel does require a 6 month contract and ICPNA is now requiring that their teachers have work Visas. Apparently the government is really cracking down on that.

Can you tell more? What have you heard / experienced? I thought with the new 180-day tourist visas the gov't was almost tacitly accepting 'hey, we have people here doing more than just tourism.'

Um, Peru isn't known for following their own laws. It s more like. Oh, hey you want to saty 183 days and spend your money here in Peru? Great, come on in.

Or,

Hey, you want to OVERSTAy your visa and pay a fine? Welcome to Peru!

Just come and say how wonderful Peru is and all the things that you want to visit and you'll be fine.
cindygettis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:31 am    Post subject: 180-day visa Reply with quote

When I talked to the administration at ICPNA I was told that they were being very selective about hiring now because the government was being more strict with them. It wasn't so at other institutions, but I believe ICPNA receives federal funding so that's why. They are willing to help you get a work visa if you commit for a longer period of time.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. Britanico and ICPNA follow the rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: