Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Touching down around August 2010!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUKE EL GAUCHO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Touching down around August 2010! Reply with quote

Hi everybody! I'll try and keep this as concise and brief as possible!
(By the way I have read through all previous posts and I'm not being lazy Very Happy )

Ok,I'm 24,from England,obsessed with the Spanish language and the Hispanic culture in general.( Have been since my 1st Spanish lesson)
I want to become fluent in Spanish. I did it in school,got an A,woohoo...never went on to further education, MAJOR REGRET OF MY LIFE,went to work with the old man instead.

I've quit my job (Plasterer,which I hated) I'm now doing a minimum wage job (for the sake of my sanity) and am saving up to go to Argentina. I self study everyday with my Spanish.Although there's only so much you can learn from textbooks!

As I'm a fluent English speaker (Obviously), it means I can potentialy teach it. (TEFL) I DON'T CARE about making money,I just want to earn enough to keep me in a Spanish speaking country for the rest of my life! I love language in general so teaching my own would also give me great joy.

I'm prepared to live in hostels (and all that comes with it,within reason) to enable me to stay out there for as long as possible,should the worst come to the worst ie; no work comes in.

So,can anyone recommend a good/reputable TEFL school were I can get my TEFL qualification and get the ball rolling?
I'm hard working and have no problem 'slumming' it,and I've no illusions of how life differs in more deprived countries,but by all means,please don't shy away from hitting me straight between the eyes with your experiences and what I should expect.

Really appreciate your help! Thanks
therealsupa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there!

I'm heading to Buenos Aires also in about July 2010.

I'm currently in the middle of completing my Diploma in TESOL - hopefully this is enough to find myself some work quickly.

feel free to PM me, we can keep in touch and see how it works out for the both of us! Smile
LUKE EL GAUCHO

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

A diploma in TESOL,you say? Are you resident in the US? That doesn't sound like a mere 4 week course (diploma).How's that going for you? I'd be very interested to hear about that.

I can't pm you/anybody because it says that you need to have posted atleast 5 'posts' before you can pm anyone. But,my email address is; [email protected]

If you'd like,'drop me a line' and we can pick each other's brains. Very Happy

Hasta pronto
hughesie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Luke,

I read your post with a lot of interest. I am English too and lived in Cabalitto, Buenos Aires for two years and I love the place and I am sure you will too.

I have been an English teacher for the past five years after going back to university at the age of 31. Before that I was a soldier, I worked on the doors, in warehouses - all the crap jobs as you can imagine.

All I am going to say is that any decent school is going to want a degree - these days a TEFL cert and native speaker ability won't cut it on it's own anymore more or less anywhere.

I know you are impatient and you will probably dismiss this post as me being a miserable old *beep* trying to put you off but there are loads of native English teachers trying to eke an existence in Argentina with qualifications and experience. You are takin a HUGE gamble by going over to Argentina with no degree and no viable experience. What I really do suggest is for you to go back to education full time - take out a student loan - and get a linguistics /TEFL degree - I got mine at swansea university - I can give you the email address of the lady who accepted me (and I had no formal qualifications - I was a mature student) onto the course and since graduating I have never been out of work - I am off to China on Tuesday to teach at a university.

It will take you three years to graduate but I will tell you something - you can then go to Argentina with confidence of getting some decent hours at the various language schools (because you won't get enough hours with any one school - also remember that 90% of the native teachers in Buenos Aires are illegal - as you will be - and with that goes all the nonsense that goes with being an illegal worker - no recompense for cancelled classes, you can be fired/sacked/dropped without notice, stupid deductions from your wages etc)

It is a good idea to save your money and fly off to Buenos Aires for a long holiday and have a look around the place.

But the main thing is that you are still young enough to get yourself a good degree that will help your CV stand out when you are footslogging it around Buenos Aires handing it out to various schools.

I know how you feel - It wasn't 8 years ago that I was regular night shift in some crap factory dreaming of an escape and sunny skies.

I couldn't have done it without a university education. I hope you take the above advice the way it was intended.
therealsupa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your info Hughsie Smile

I figured that obviously those with uni degree's would ensure much better pay and conditions etc

Luckily, the company i'm doing my TESOL Diploma through here in Australia have advised me they have many contacts and networks in Buenos Aires for companies that consider recommendations from the schools themselves.

I'm not expecting too be on the money i am here in Australia... Just merely enough to cover living expenses. I'm heading over with fair bit behind me, so i certainly won't be destitute by any means. But just looking at plottering along, being immersed in the culture, learning a new language whilst teaching my own.

All i can do is head over, give it my best shot - if it doesn't work out, i'll simply move on to the next adventure. But i will be able to live in BA for about 6months without working anyway - i'd love to stay longer if i get the opportunity.
LUKE EL GAUCHO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hughsie!

Thanks for your feedback,I really appreciate it. I've taken in all that you said,and I'm in no position to dispute or disregard it. As you seem to have been there and bought the t-shirt,which I totaly respect! It sounds like your living the dream and I'm totaly jealous! Very Happy

Regarding the degree,I have to believe what your saying to be true and yes,it makes sense, as the more qualified you are,the better your odds are for securing work. I'm well aware that I'll be at a greater disadvantage not having one,but thats my position/predicament and I'm not prepared to go to uni now.

By the time I fly out around August 2010,I'm looking to have saved enough to sustain myself on the bare minimum ( dirt cheap hostels with bread and water keeping me alive) for 5-6 months. If in that time,I'm unable to secure a job of any kind whatsoever then yes,I'll have no choice but to come home.

I'm also conscious of the fact that the world is suffering from an economical recession,and finding work from any category of employment is extremely difficult right now,but I can ony try. I'm under no illusions. I'm extremely hungry and determined to make my dream come true. I may very well find myself having to 'hustle my arse off' to grind out a living,but I'm up for the challenge!

I'll do whatever it takes and if that isn't good enough,then it won't be good enough! Very Happy

Que ser�,ser�. Fortune favours the brave etc etc Laughing In the meantime,it's back to my English grammar and Spanish books.Education,education,education....now, where have I heard that before?
LUKE EL GAUCHO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh,typo! ECONOMIC recession,not ECONOMICAL!! My mistake kids! Don't copy that down into your exercise book! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: