Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need something on Argentina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: I need something on Argentina Reply with quote

It's been almost three weeks since the last post on the Argentina forum. I'm seriously considering quitting my job, taking a CELTA, and moving to Argentina to teach English, all in the next few months.

Is there anything recent that anyone can tell me about the current prospects, best places to look, country's stability situation, best time to come, or another web site or forum to check out? Anything!

The prospect of making such a big move is very unnerving and any information that a veteran can give would be very valuable to me.
Thanks in advance.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: not a good time Reply with quote

I think you should wait until 2005. Most teaching positions open up in February for mid-March starts. As well, pay is not great now in a down economy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
matttheboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also moving to Argentina, in the next couple of weeks actually and would recommend the place to anyone. I spent a couple of months there just recently and absolutely loved it, the people, the way of life, everything. I guess that if you're planning to move there you already know this though....Unless you've got a few thousand in savings on which to travel and generally have fun after your CELTA, then yes, it's probably best to wait until after new year, find somewhere to live, settle in a bit and then go looking for the job openings in February. If you've got a bit of money then do your CELTA and head out to enjoy the summer!! And there is always work wherever you are if you're prepared to put in the effort to find private students...good luck and have fun.
mattsnuts

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guy,

I've read your postings which point out that the term starts in March so mid February is the best time to turn up, that sounds like good advice. I presume you are talking about jobs at schools or universities.

But is there much chance of getting private students through the summer, eg. November - March? Or do students of English generally take a vacation so there's no demand for private lessons at that time?

It's just that March is a long time to wait!

-Matt
Listening to: 'Don't Worry About It' from 'Fly or Die' by 'N.E.R.D.' on Media Center 9.1
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: hard times Reply with quote

You would have some difficulty even picking up private students between November and March. The problem is that the extended holiday period...Christmas, and what is Argentine summer. Suppose you could try...you might find some opportunities in Mar del Plata, maybe English in a hotel or be a barman at least for awhile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
slinky

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: jobs in argentina Reply with quote

While it's true that schools aren't really hiring right now, I don't think it's impossible to find work right now. If you're really determined to come, have some experience and your own materiels (or are willing to get them), it's totally possible to live off casual work. The best thing to do is send out a gazillion resumes (there is some year-round work for business-english institutes), advertise in the Clarin and/or Buenos Aires Herald, maybe put flyers up around your neighborhood, and just tell everybody that you meet that you're available to teach english (having some card printed after you're settled would help too). $10-$15 pesos an hour is normal wage for business and private classes, and it's doable (if a little uncomfortable) to live off of about 10 contact hours per week, especially if you have a little bit of savings to help get established. There is a great yahoo group called "BAnewcomers" with many helpful expats and occasionally job references. Also, many hostels (less now during the off-season) like to trade a couple of shifts per week for lodging or spanish classes. I strongly believe that if you take full advantage of all your options, an able teacher can live and work here any time of the year. ok. my $0.02
Marcethebest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there Very Happy
It is true that classes in secondary and primary schools in general finish end of November/beginning of December. They start again at the beginning of March. Those students who have to sit for exams in December would need to start studying for the exam in November, or February, if they have to sit for the exam at the end of February/beginning of March.
I am an argentine teacher in Argentina , especifically in Santa Fe. If I can be of any help, just contact me. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: