Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why not India?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alobar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Why ? Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
The easiest explanation that comes to mind is that I am a misanthrope. I pearticularly dislike those under the age of 40. Real loathing is however saved up for the Ken and Barbie know-nothings who backpack around the world masquerading as teachers.

Damn. And earning your approval was the primary goal of my life! <kiss> Laughing
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the organizsation "Liberty India" appears to be one of those right-wing think tanks that American corporations subsidize throughout the world in order to further their interests.

Wouldn't surprise me to find out that the particlar village has been picked for use as a dam, logging camp, test for GM crops or whatever, and that the summer coamp forms part of the softening up process.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: kiss ? Reply with quote

Well I am pleased that I am safe here in Saudi Arabia where I will never have to eyeball you or your friends !
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Why not India? Reply with quote

Why not India?Because you'll have the runs for a year ..that's why not.Ah methinks.. that might be good news for the Jon Candies of this world...(and half the female population of North America).
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: demean the naive speaker Reply with quote

"Could you perhaps explain this crusade of yours to demean the native English speakers. Did one of these backpackers run off with your wife or something?" asked my friend Steve in Saudi.

It was not my aim to demean the native speaker teacher of EFL. Rather to make us open our eyes to what can be done by those who are non-native speakers. I am horrified by the low educational level of many (including graduates) in this business. Often non-native speakers have a much better general education and degree of literacy.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-native speakers do not have a much higher level of literacy and general education.

You're comparing pears with oranges.

A "non-native" univerrsity graduate and trained teacher will have a higher level of literacy and general education than a native-speaker backpacker who just scraped though High School, but that is an unfair comparison.

And you must remember that the reason many punters ask for native speakers is that they have been burnt by incompent non-native "experts"; at least the backpacker knows his own langiuage.

And if you could see some of the applicattions I get from lecturers at Pakistani universities and other tertiary insititutions you would be slightly more understanding.

And I can tell you some horror stories about Spanish graduates in English I have taught too.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: literacy among native speaker teachers of EFL Reply with quote

Not just high school dropouts display poor command of written English. If you have a chance to look at recent graduates from the less prestigious institutions of "Our Sceptred Isle" you will be horrified. So do not make the assumption that native speaker is literate and the non-native speaker incompetent. That is all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: