Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living Costs???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pushok

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Living Costs??? Reply with quote

I'm looking into applying for a post in Singapore which will pay around $7000 (Singaporean of course) per month. Nothing else is included, except flights.

Is this a good enough salary to support a family (wife and young daughter - not yet school age)? I don't expect my wife will be working as she's not a native English speaker.

I have to pay for accommodation from this and would like to have a decent lifestyle and potentially save some money. Is this possible?

All replies are most welcome.
Kathvit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that you'll have a very comfortable lifestyle on that amount of money.

Here's an approx breakdown of how much it costs to live here:

Rent for a 3-4 bedroom apartment in an older condo (1200-2000 sq ft) = $2500-3500 per month.

Food = $ 1000 per month

Car payment $ 800 per month

Helper (if you want to get one) = $800-900 per month

School fees - not applicable yet but will be in the future - (international school system) = this is probably where your biggest expense will be, unless you've got a position at an International school which will give you a discount on the fees. Depending on where you choose to send your child(children) it's approximately $ 5000 per term. (4 terms per year)

$ 7000 is a fantastic salary for a teacher.

Good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: