Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any Traders There?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WanderingD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Any Traders There? Reply with quote

Am still thinking seriously of making the big move from Shanghai to Phnom Penh. However, I'm an active stock trader and would ultimately need a good and reliable connection for live charting. Anybody there trade or know anyone who does? If so, any problems in this regard? (I would be willing, by the way, to pay whatever in order to have an acceptable connection in an apartment.

Also, how is the teaching scene these days? I've read that Vietnam is really experiencing a slowdown. How goes it in Cambodia?
khmerhit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might want to ask on khmer440.com

i think the internet connexion is like anywhere else

not sure re teaching scene these days -- you need to be there to really know and anyway it depends on the person too

CA M B O D I A

try it and see Cool
WanderingD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried khmer440 with no luck, but thanks anyway. As for the Internet, on a recent trip to Thailand I met a number of young teacher-types who warned me that the connection in Hanoi (where they live) was often horribly slow. That made me scratch off that city, so I was wondering if the same were true for PP. Guess the best thing to do is to simply re-visit the city in person and check things out...
PattyFlipper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet service tends to be rather erratic and it will be a trade off between cost and speed, as most service providers still tend to charge by the mb download rather than a flat fee. That said, with increased competition service is slowly improving and prices are coming down. You will find though that you are paying significantly more for slower speeds than you would get in neighbouring Thailand.
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WanderingD wrote:
I tried khmer440 with no luck, but thanks anyway. As for the Internet, on a recent trip to Thailand I met a number of young teacher-types who warned me that the connection in Hanoi (where they live) was often horribly slow. That made me scratch off that city, so I was wondering if the same were true for PP. Guess the best thing to do is to simply re-visit the city in person and check things out...

The internet speed in Cambodia was terrible. Even in Phnom Penh. It was practically impossible to upload more than 1 pic at a time in most places I checked. Some wifi speeds I found within the city were about 5kbps or maybe 10kbps sometimes...

Saigon, on the other hand, was fast compared to many other Asian neighbors. I had free internet (via cable from the wall) in my room there in district 1, and I could start downloading 3-4 movies before I went to bed, and by morning they would all be done.

good luck!
WanderingD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saigon, then, has really come a long way. The last time I was there the speeds were more akin to what LuckyKhan is describing about PP now. Of course, that was back in 1999...
deessell2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The connection in Vietnam is very fast, reliable and cheap. I work on the internet and haven't had any problems so far.

When I lived on Phuket I was unable to work as the connection was so bad. I'm also interested in the connection in Cambodia as the visa situation in Vietnam has become unpredictable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: