Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Negotiating Salaries in Japan????

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Negotiating Salaries in Japan???? Reply with quote

I recently had a phone Interview with a school in Japan. They are offering a salary of 270,000 Yen.

Since I have 3 years experience teaching ESL and have taught in Japan before(familliar with the Culture and the people!)......I would like to negotiate a higher salary.............at least 50,000 Yen.

Along with my experience, I have a Bachelors Degree and a ESL certificate.

I would like to know if anyone has ever tried to Negotiate salaries at a school in Japan? and if so, what advice can you give me??...........Am I wasting my time OR Not??

I greatly appreciate your help and advice.
azarashi sushi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Norbie... I don't mean to rain on your parade but every gaijin and his dog on the streets of Tokyo has at least three years teaching experience plus BA and ESL certificate... It's really nothing special. Crying or Very sad

I always think everything is worth a shot, but salaries are pretty well non-negotiable here... At least, you can forget 50 000 straight away. When and if you renew your contract with them, you could negotiate for higher but again don't hold your breath for 50 000.

What and where is the school? If it's an Eikaiwa in the inaka somewhere, 270 000 is already slightly above the average. Don't forget that Japan is in recession.

Azarashi sushi
David W

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a full time eikaiwa gig is almost never gonna pay a decent wage. If you want to earn a reasonable amount you have to go part-time and work a few different jobs. Of course you first need the visa so people are often forced to take lower paid full time work, put in a fair amount of time then quit and go freelance. With your previous experience and qualifications this is what I would do if I were you. I'd say stay a minimum of 6 months at this job, get yourself set up nicely and then go.
Sunpower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: They mean nothing to a converation school Reply with quote

English conversaton schools don't care about your degree or EFL certificate, or anyone else's for that matter.

So, you're not gonna get a raise for all the extras you bring as an applicant.

I've worked alongside people with law degrees, licensed teachers from the U.K., Canada and America and those who hold Master's Degrees. Nova or Berlitz don't give a F*ck about the special skills or EFL ticket you hold. Everyone goes through the same training, gets the same pay and told to teach the same way.

It sounds stupid, doesn't it? But that's the situation. So, in a lot of ways, I think this EFL or TEFL/TESOL certificate business is a racket. You don't need them to get a job. And if you have them they won't bring you any more money or better work conditions.

Sure there's the exception. But on the most part - it doesn't matter in the English Conversation school business.

If you were married to a Japanese woman and held the proper visa status but didn't have a degree or an EFL certificate, they'd still hire you if they thought that you would be easy to manage.

Degrees, certificates and even expereince are meaningless in the English conversation school industry in not only Japan but all of Asia.

ps - About 4 years ago, when I came over to work for a company called NOVA, I think they gave an extra Y5,000 per month for those with an M.A. and for those with a Teaching Certificate. As far as I know, I don't believe any of the other conversation schools in Tokyo or Japan offered even that much. Things may have changed but probably not.

Yrs.
ProdigalSon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have spent some time in Japan, then you know that most if not all business relationships are at the personal level. Basically they do not know anything about you and would not want to risk the extra yen on someone who may not meet their expectations. Of course this all goes out the window if you are introduced to the school by someone.
Most schools may want beginner teachers so they can be trained to use the school's teaching method. They are cheaper too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: