Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boxhill College
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
miski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Boxhill College Reply with quote

Any info on this place? Doesn't look like it's finished yet - but are they recruiting? Salary ? Positions? Date ?
jack2007

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Box Hill Reply with quote

Two months ago several Advertisements appeared on Bayt. You can go through the Box Hill website and apply if interested.

It is in Abu Halifa.......not a livable area. Absolutely no greenery, no paved footpath. Only seaside around Kuwait Magic, the area is good. There is no Bank (only ATM) and no Supermarket, no good eateries except fast food in Kuwait Magic. For everything one has to go to Fahaheel or Sultan Center Mangaf.

Though they are building a Campus it's very much in initial stages. Admissions have begun and its all Diploma level. A small building is getting ready where classes will commence from September.

It is a Private sector profit making venture and they will follow Kuwait Private Sector Law.

Hope this helps.
miski

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Box Hill Reply with quote

[quote="jack2007"]Two months ago several Advertisements appeared on Bayt. You can go through the Box Hill website and apply if interested.

It is in Abu Halifa.......not a livable area. Absolutely no greenery, no paved footpath. Only seaside around Kuwait Magic, the area is good. There is no Bank (only ATM) and no Supermarket, no good eateries except fast food in Kuwait Magic. For everything one has to go to Fahaheel or Sultan Center Mangaf.

Though they are building a Campus it's very much in initial stages. Admissions have begun and its all Diploma level. A small building is getting ready where classes will commence from September.

It is a Private sector profit making venture and they will follow Kuwait Private Sector Law.''

MISKI REPLIES:
Thanks Jack- I wouldn't call abu Halifa 'not a livable area' tho! In fact I have bought a house in Fintas- this area is the up and coming area in Kuwait for property- the new apartments on the sea road just up from there go for $1,500,000.........so..... as for 'no greenery', well we do live in a desert, and it's just fine that way. All the 'greenifying' of the desert in recent years has increased allergies tenfold.

MISKI REPLIES:
As for no banks- there are three nearby- Kuwait Finance House, Gulf Bank are 10 minutes walking distance or 3 minutes by car or taxi. There is another bank in Kuwait Magic.

No good eateries? Mmmm I think not. Within 10 minutes is Applebees, Pizza Hut,BurgerKing, MacDonalds, Hardees, Dominoes, Buffaloes, Ruby Tuesday's, Al Nokhada 4* Seafood restaurant, Kabajee,and Caesar's Indian and Chinese. The foodcourt at Kuwait Magic also offers fast food.

Shopping vcan be done in Fahaheel, or Mangaf yes, but again they are 10 minutes away at the mmost by car.
miski

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But thanks for the info.
jack2007

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Box Hill Reply with quote

Looks like you are a Kuwaiti citizen.....only Kuwaiti's can buy property !!

If you are a Kuwaiti its easy for you to walk in and get a job. Just go and talk to the Owners/Board Members of the College.

I already told you just visit their web site. ATMs are not banks. There is lot of greenery in several livable areas in Kuwait. I said there are fast food joints and sea side is developed !!! Go have a look at the construction activity going on in the Box Hill compound !! Look at the dirty buildings beside Box Hill compound and the filthy eateries. I also told you that one has to go to Fahaheel for everything !!!

Just take a walk from Box Hill compound till Kuwait Magic and you will surely enjoy the beautiful scenery (pun intended)

I tried to give you information which you asked for and you just keep contradicting my statements !! Not a right approach.

Abu Halifa is pure unspoiled desert for people who live in fully developed areas of Kuwait !!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miski... to get your quotes to show up properly, you need to keep the end quote mechanism, which is [/quote]. You can delete any of the stuff between, but be sure to leave what is on each end. It took me forever to figure that out.

This post shows pretty clearly the difference between how two people can look at an area. Jack looked at it as an expat living and working in an area. Miski only wanted to know about the job since her living situation is not an issue. Cool

VS
miski

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Hill Reply with quote

[quote="jack2007"]Looks like you are a Kuwaiti citizen.....only Kuwaiti's can buy property !!

If you are a Kuwaiti its easy for you to walk in and get a job. Just go and talk to the Owners/Board Members of the College.

I already told you just visit their web site. ATMs are not banks.

MISKI REPLIES: Yes and the Two banks just up through the traffic lights and on the ther side of the Fahaheel Expressway are most definitely banks NOT ATMs......

There is lot of greenery in several livable areas in Kuwait. I said there are fast food joints and sea side is developed !!! Go have a look at the construction activity going on in the Box Hill compound !! Look at the dirty buildings beside Box Hill compound and the filthy eateries.

MISKI REPLIES: the eateries may be Asian, but they are not filthy! I have eaten sandwiches from those places for over 15 years and never come down with anything. That sounds like a racist comment to me!.

I also told you that one has to go to Fahaheel for everything !!!

Just take a walk from Box Hill compound till Kuwait Magic and you will surely enjoy the beautiful scenery (pun intended)

MISKI REPLIES: I would pass a number of Apartment blocks-so? Your point ?

I tried to give you information which you asked for and you just keep contradicting my statements !! Not a right approach.

MISKI REPLIES: No, I asked 1) was it finished 2) What the salary was 3) What positions where available 4) When it would be opened. You answered two and ran down the area. I countered by giving a different viewpoint.

Abu Halifa is pure unspoiled desert for people who live in fully developed areas of Kuwait

MISKI REPLIES: No, Abu Halifa is built up and has become increasingly so over the past 10 years. It is certainly not a Turner landscape, but then as I said, we live in a desert.

As you don't seem to like it, I suggest you get out.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one was almost unreadable Miski... practice a bit with how to use the quotes. If I can do it, so can you. Laughing

VS
miski

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOps sorry veiled- I tried to do it and make it bld but it wouldn't work.........
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miski wrote:
OOps sorry veiled- I tried to do it and make it bld but it wouldn't work.........

[ quote="miski"]OOps sorry veiled- I tried to do it and make it bld but it wouldn't work.........[/quote ]

The trick is to use the [bracketed] sections. Hit the quote button. If you want to intersperse the message, you need to copy and paste the beginning and ending bracketed bits for each quoted section

You can use the preview button to see if you did it correctly. It took me awhile to figure this out.

VS
Kalima Shahada

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, after nearly two and a half years, does anyone have any new information about this college?
grab-bag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Box Hill Reply with quote

Miski

Why have you spent your hard earned money on property in Fintas??????All those Kuwaiti dinars for place in Fintas????

I've bought a place in Portugal. At least it will be cheaper to live there than in Kuwait - or are you renting it out to pay the mortgage?
webcafe52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Box Hill College Reply with quote

The college hires experienced EFL teachers with a Masters or above. Housing is provided or 350KD if you want to find your own, and flight home each summer. Eight weeks annual vacation, though the first year you get about six weeks paid vacation because they follow the "after one year employment" quite literally.

Last edited by webcafe52 on Mon May 24, 2010 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my friend who teaches bus. there says faculty were required to go to campus 9-2 during student breaks. to do what, i don't know ..... since there was no one to teach and no classes scheduled
obviously don't know the difference between 'faculty' and 'staff'
students are quite unmotivated and represent the bottom feeders....

good report

fyi when boxhill started they did NOT require a masters degree (and very quietly hired a totally non-degreed teacher who has now left, this person has wasta at auk)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15yearsinQ8 wrote:
my friend who teaches bus. there says faculty were required to go to campus 9-2 during student breaks. to do what, i don't know ..... since there was no one to teach and no classes scheduled
obviously don't know the difference between 'faculty' and 'staff'
students are quite unmotivated and represent the bottom feeders....

This is very typical in the rest of the Gulf, at least at university level. I've never figured it out myself. Apparently it is to make sure that we understand our low status as mere teachers with MAs. It was a fight I fought in vain for years ("why are we sitting here? we are neither secretaries nor factory workers...") and the process seems to be expanding and getting worse. They want people on campus for longer and longer... to sit around and stare at each other apparently. At least now there is the internet so you can surf away the wasted time...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: