Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody heard about Arg requiring visas for Americans?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
englishtou

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Anybody heard about Arg requiring visas for Americans? Reply with quote

I saw an article in the paper about 2 weeks ago that Cristina`s gonna propose a bill to require visas of Americans....would appreciate any info,thanks,Frank
afansenil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: you are correct Frank Reply with quote

As of January next year if you leave the country you will have to pay a USD130 "visa" fee to enter the country. No paperwork, no criminal check, no nothing. Aren't you Canadian?

For example, the British don't pay to enter the country because the UK consulate doesn't charge Argentines money for a visa to the UK, but the US and Australia do. So, people from those countries have to pay the same amount of money for their visa. It's just a reciprocal fee, I wouldn't even call it a "visa". This, however, lasts for as long as you passport is valid and there is no criminal check or any kind of background checking whatsoever done. You pay at the border, your passport gets stamped, and you're in.

AS OF JANUARY 2009

If you come from a country that charges money for Visas, Argentina will charge the same fee for you to come in, Brazil and Chile are currently doing the same thing. Uruguay, no idea, Paraguay, USD65.

N.
Razz
englishtou

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Arg visa fee for Americans Reply with quote

Thank you VERY much...I have Amer friends who needed to know!Best,Frank
Kushluk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Argentina was in America. . . ? Go figure.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
misteradventure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Argentina Reply with quote

Just a suggestion:

Before you get on the airplane (or other conveyance), it doesn't hurt to print out the web page relating to visas for your citizenship.

Confusion may prevail and if you can show that you did your best to comply, you should be able to enter even if you don't have the paperwork they want.

One should also bring that amount of money in cash (exact amount, of course) to pay whatever 'fee' may be assessed.

As of this week, the webpage for the Argentine Consulate in Washington, DC says no visa is required and does not mention any 'entrance fee'.

Also, no tourist card was provided at the Airport in Buenos Aires for me to carry with me in Argentina;a change from 6 months ago.

It goes without saying that a passport is a requirement.

Another resource is the airline; they can be assessed a fine for carrying passengers who are not properly documented, ineligible for entry. The last amount I was quoted was $10,000.00 USD (Air France) so they have a vested interest in having accurate information.
ottoman79

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. Argentina is now a little higher on my list!
Phil_b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is now a fee for Americans, Canadians and Australians - see here:
http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/
anubistaima

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little confusing. What happens after three months, when your visa expires? Before, you simply crossed into Chile or Brazil for a day and then reentered the country and you had three more months. What about now? Do you have to pay the fee every time?
misteradventure

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the webpages, you will see that nothing changed.

http://www.embassyofargentina.us/espanol/seccionconsular/tourist.htm

and

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/

Both state that there is no fee for US nationals traveling for tourism.

(There *is* a fee for persons traveling on Official (Black) US Passports. Unless you got one free because you are working for the Feds, you probably have the regular (blue) Tourist passport.)

Dealing with Migraciones (DNM) is generally a pleasant experience anywhere except BsAs, in my personal experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: