Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volunteering while on vacation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrionForest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Volunteering while on vacation Reply with quote

My wife and I are interested in visiting Cambodia Jan 2010. We will have three weeks vacation and would like to spend at least two of those weeks helping out at an orphanage or doing some sort of community development work.

Does anyone have any recommendations/guidance on what organizations are good? Or the best route to take in finding a trustworthy volunteer organization? All I'm finding in my searches on-line are organizations wanting to charge $US 700-1000 for 'volunteering'. I'm very hesitant on where that money goes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for you time,

Orion
khmerhit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you might try the irish charity CARE

or World Vision, two aid org that i know are there--they might give yoiu advice

C A M B O D I A
try it and see Cool
jprimm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the web site Cambodias Hope.....
TravelJenn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also try to Ponheary Ly Foundation. I've heard great things about them.

http://theplf.org

Jenn
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravelJenn wrote:
You can also try to Ponheary Ly Foundation. I've heard great things about them.

http://theplf.org

Jenn

HaHa, I would personally SKIP this one, IF it's volunteering you want to contribute!! Sounds like more of a rip off for tourists who know NOTHING about Cambodia.

Costs YOU $40 (that's forty United States Dollars) to 'volunteer' per day! They are kind enough to throw in 'lodging, transportation (to and from school only), teaching materials (?), and a t-shirt.

They value the t-shirt at $10 and the lodging at the guesthouse at $20, so basically you're paying $10 a day for transportation and 'teaching materials.'

Transportation is dirt cheap, and I've stayed in fairly nice places in Cambodia, and NONE of them were over $10.

Again, sounds like a sly way of getting $$$$ from people, and make them think they are volunteering. Nothing wrong with them raising money or suggesting donations, but to have to pay almost $1000 a month to volunteer seems a little sketchy. If I were you I would find one that wants your time only. You could also just wait till you get there to look around for one; It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes for someone to tell you about one that needs people's help so bad they want your time alone. When I hear of an NGO charging that much to volunteer for one day in Cambodia it makes me think they want your money, and the time you give is unimportant.

I also find it odd 'Jenn' joined just to say, "I've heard good things" and can't elaborate any more...
khmerhit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH, SCAMBODIA
try it and see Laughing
MrMrLuckyKhan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khmerhit wrote:
AH, SCAMBODIA
try it and see Laughing

haha, I'm so happy to see some variety in your post!!!
Austrian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as it is Jan 2010 already, you either changed yr plans or are already sweating in some classroom.

I myself, have volunteered with Travel-to-Teach (http://www.travel-to-teach.org/) for a one-term teaching stint at their Cambodian partner school starting in late April 2010. I went there last October and had a talk with the owner in Phnom Penh. Small but interesting outfit.

I have kept an eye on that organization (T2T) for some 5 years now and their rates seem quite reasonable. 5 years ago it didn't work out for me as I went to China and "ended up" teaching there for almost 5 years. But now I am ready for a change.

Would be curious whether you went to Cambodia and how it all worked out.
bonsta

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have just returned from volunteering in Cambodia for 5weeks. It was absolutely amazing and very very rewarding! would definitely recommend. I went through an organization in Cambodia, however you will definitely find work if you just turn up and contact organizations directly. I taught english at a slum school & visited many orphanages. One orphanage in particular I feel in love with. They had children from newborn to 24yrs. There were 6 babies under 9months and several toddlers, which made it really sad. It was the most welcoming and warm place and I felt very at home. They are happy for people to visit them and I'm certain would be exstatic if you were able to volunteer.

I also visited many other reputable orphanage including one with HIV positive orphans and would be happy to pass on their details/names. Just a word of warning there are several phanges in Phnom Penh - particularly by the river front which are funded by tourism. If a tuktuk driver/hostel etc offer to send you to an orphanage say "NO". The current scams are to get tourist buying rice at over inflated prices to take to these orphanages.

If you are interested in receiving further info re the orphanage I helped at and other places you could volunteer at please email me [email protected] - sorry but for the children's privacy etc I prefer to not advertise the name of the orphanage online,but happy to give info privately. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: