Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any information on A'Takamul International?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rommel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: wow Reply with quote

rowntree wrote:

What about the 30 or so teachers on visit visas who can't get iqama, if true, can you explain that? Are they 'happy?

30 teachers? That would mean almost 1/3 of the staff are on visit visas!
There are maybe 5 or 6 teachers currently on visit visas.
You really need to get your facts straight and stop posting stupid rumors.
rowntree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no there aren't...........................and some from last year too, still......why?
Rommel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rowntree wrote:
Oh no there aren't...........................and some from last year too, still......why?

Not going to get into a tit-for-tat argument with you. As I said before, You're dead wrong about "30 teachers". That would mean 1/3 of the staff are on visit visas. Rolling Eyes
Again, get your facts straight, and stop posting bullshit info on topics you know nothing about.
rowntree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of TEN for sure.
Go check- every new teacher from HS down to KG will be on a visit .
And how many 'teachers' in KG are registered at the ministry as assistants?
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please note that while rommell may have gone to that school transfering his existing visa (as opposed to entering the country on their first job in kuwait) and susbsequently drank the company kool aid (becoming its chief apologist on this branch), rowntree's point should be further explained
if some one works under a visit visa (which is not only done at this school but also at the american school of kuwait, etc for years - but they only do it for a month or so maximum), the worker CANNOT do the following quality of life things that make kuwait tolerable:
- open a bank account - and so get paid via bank transfer - get a local credit card
- get a driver's license
- lease a car (as opposed to renting on as a visitor for much more)
- travel easily (or at all depending on your nationality) to neighboring GULF countries
- lease an apartment
- buy goods on credit
- if thngs go south at work, file a complaint with the ministry or file a case at the justice palace
- get married in kuwait
etc etc etc

a school that keeps 10 or 30 or even 1 staff in this legal limbo and quality of life cesspool is not worth one's time

ipetq/tqls whatever may have died, but this school is just as bad
Starfell

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: wow Reply with quote

Rommel wrote:
rowntree wrote:

What about the 30 or so teachers on visit visas who can't get iqama, if true, can you explain that? Are they 'happy?

30 teachers? That would mean almost 1/3 of the staff are on visit visas!
There are maybe 5 or 6 teachers currently on visit visas.
You really need to get your facts straight and stop posting stupid rumors.

20 in MS / HS

Last edited by Starfell on Fri May 07, 2010 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starfell

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owned by Al Nafais Holding Company- go read this..............

http://rupertbumfrey.blogspot.com/2010_01_20_archive.html
newinSeoul

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rowntree wrote:

This is very true. There are still teachers from last year that still do not have resident visas.

And yes, 30 or so teachers are leaving from both elementary, middle and high school combined this year.

I would not recommend this school to anyone. They did not do half of what was in the handbook. I was lied to on many things that they were supposed to provide, and me and a host of the new staff this past year had to fight tooth and nail for things that we were supposed to be entitled to.

We fought for airfare that they weren't going to give us for leaving the country every three months (since we were on tourist visas).

We were told that we would get cable and internet in our apartments, but we never got that.

In the handbook ( that the director specifically told us to refer to), it was said that me, and the other new teachers would receive 100 KD
settlement allowance. I asked for it, but was not given this money. They made an excuse as to why we were not given it.

Truth be known, I pulled a runner from this school for these reasons and more.

The director pulled the new staff that were leaving this year into the office, and basically threatened us not to say anything about what was happening at the school to anyone. We were also told if we didn't like it, we could leave.

I would NOT recommend this school to anyone. There is NO support for teachers, and the kids are very badly behaved. There is NO discipline policy in the school, and the parents rule. Teachers have no power, and I would definitely say I felt like I was in a prison (teachers didn't have any say). Do not complain or you will be instantly disliked and made out to be the bad person.

I will be posting more about this school on the International school review.

I did not feel that this school was in anyway professionally run. In fact, they didn't follow proper protocol for many things.
Starfell

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here here newinSeoul well said. Good for you.

I'm amazed by the ease with which students there ask you to ''up'' their grades......as if it is a done thing. Never been asked this before in my life with such frequency.
devinewind

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newinSeoul wrote:
rowntree wrote:

This is very true. There are still teachers from last year that still do not have resident visas.

And yes, 30 or so teachers are leaving from both elementary, middle and high school combined this year.

I would not recommend this school to anyone. They did not do half of what was in the handbook. I was lied to on many things that they were supposed to provide, and me and a host of the new staff this past year had to fight tooth and nail for things that we were supposed to be entitled to.

We fought for airfare that they weren't going to give us for leaving the country every three months (since we were on tourist visas).

We were told that we would get cable and internet in our apartments, but we never got that.

In the handbook ( that the director specifically told us to refer to), it was said that me, and the other new teachers would receive 100 KD
settlement allowance. I asked for it, but was not given this money. They made an excuse as to why we were not given it.

The director pulled the new staff that were leaving this year into the office, and basically threatened us not to say anything about what was happening at the school to anyone. We were also told if we didn't like it, we could leave.

I would NOT recommend this school to anyone. There is NO support for teachers, and the kids are very badly behaved. There is NO discipline policy in the school, and the parents rule. Teachers have no power, and I would definitely say I felt like I was in a prison (teachers didn't have any say). Do not complain or you will be instantly disliked and made out to be the bad person.

I did not feel that this school was in anyway professionally run. In fact, they didn't follow proper protocol for many things.

So, you did a runner, 6 weeks before the end of your contract? Was that professional? How about the children you were teaching? I seems to me that if you've commited yourself to the year, you owe it to the children to see the commitment through.
devinewind

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfell wrote:
Here here newinSeoul well said. Good for you.

I'm amazed by the ease with which students there ask you to ''up'' their grades......as if it is a done thing. Never been asked this before in my life with such frequency.

You actually had grade one students asking you to change their grades?
Starfell

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rommel/ devinewind/ other- I have never taught Grade One. Ya got the wrong gal.

Quitting a contract 6 weeks before the end of term is big, however if newinS was badgered and hounded and driven to despair by the Lebanese Diva, who can blame him/her? The kids will bounce back- half of them will be disappearing in the next couple of weeks and in any case at least 5 other classes went without their teachers this year due to extended maternity leave ( 40 days)

What's your beef ''Divine'' ?
Starfell

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newinSeoul wrote:
Do you know this from teachers who work there, or have you any experience teaching at the school? I have read all the write ups on this forum, and some from the International school review, and it is not looking too positive. Any other specific information you or others can provide would be very helpful in me making a decision. Thanks again.

I think there's a lesson here for everyone thinking of relocating.
In June of 2009 NiS asked for advice on joining ATIS- several posters advised against it and one said it was a great place to be. Doubtless ATIS promised a very high salary- one of the highest in Kuwait, but 11 months later NewinSeoul has realised that he/she should have heeded the words of warning.

Sure, sometimes people just have ''an axe to grind'' but sometimes what they say is true, and should be listened to.

Next year, in another attempt to woo 'real' teachers and ward off the bad press they have been getting in teachers' forums , IPE are offering free tuition ( not just discounted) for staff kids- don't be tempted. You may live to regret it.
newinSeoul

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devinewind wrote:
newinSeoul wrote:
rowntree wrote:

So, you did a runner, 6 weeks before the end of your contract? Was that professional? How about the children you were teaching? I seems to me that if you've commited yourself to the year, you owe it to the children to see the commitment through.

Yes to answer your first question. I wouldn't say it was the most professional thing, but what the admin did, was not in any way professional. I was harrassed by the VP, to the point where I was getting ill. I am not joking about this. I could go on and on at the unprofessionalism and corruptness that I went through.

I owed it to myself to keep sane, and to keep my self=respect intact. Something that the VP, and in the end the principal did not allow me. They did not want me there apparently I wasn't a good teacher. Even though, they never did any formal observations, except for the one that they do within the three month period, which according to the principal was good.

The VP had it in for me, and she would not take her claws out of me, day after day. She put me down for anything I did, and she came into my class every day. She did not say anything positive to me, ever. She wrote a letter one time of my performance, and one thing she wrote was that 'I had crumbs on my desk' as if that has anything to do with teaching. I had no one to turn too. She seemed to have a lot of power, and possibly may be principal next year. In the end they took an assistant who had been there for a long time, and put her in my class. The told the assistant to take over and change my routines when I was sick for three days. I went back into class, and had found out that the VP had told her to change things.

There is so much shit that went on, that I had enough. Why bother, when they were pushing me out anyhow. I felt like I was targetted, and keeping my self esteem in tact by leaving was my only out. Even the people I thought were friends, didn't want to get involved cause they didn't want to get fired. My coordinator tried to help me, but she was told to stay out of it by the VP.

Earlier in the year, I had tried to get my assistant out of my class because she was undermining me, and not doing her job. She is arab, and the VP hated that I was talking negatively about her. I think since then, she had it in for me. I was screwed from the beginning I guess.

So, that is a lot of the story.

And yes, Starfall.. I didn't heed the warnings, and regretfully so.
devinewind

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfell wrote:
Rommel/ devinewind/ other- I have never taught Grade One. Ya got the wrong gal.

Quitting a contract 6 weeks before the end of term is big, however if newinS was badgered and hounded and driven to despair by the Lebanese Diva, who can blame him/her? The kids will bounce back- half of them will be disappearing in the next couple of weeks and in any case at least 5 other classes went without their teachers this year due to extended maternity leave ( 40 days)

What's your beef ''Divine'' ?

Me? I have no beef. I'm quite happy. I've been offered a position for next year and really happy with the package.

Since you're asking, what is your beef?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: