Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boxhill College
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rowntree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just colleges that are doing that. This week we have been sitting round doing nothing as the kids decided that after a week of (very easy) exams, this week should be a holiday. Still, we sat from 7 am til 2 30......until the glorious 'sign out book' was magnanimously laid on the table.
webcafe52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Box Hill College Reply with quote

Despite what some know-it alls claim, most of the students here are quite good. The policy regarding semester breaks for teachers was only restricted during the December 09 break.
Rommel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Box Hill College Reply with quote

webcafe52 wrote:
Despite what some know-it alls claim.

W.C., you should know that questioning the Great and Powerful Know-it-Alls is not conducive to good health.
150yearsinKuwait, and Vile-Sentiments are authorities on everything and should not be questioned. Rolling Eyes
webcafe52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Box Hill College Reply with quote

Thanks.

Last edited by webcafe52 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Kalima Shahada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Box Hill College Reply with quote

Rommel wrote:
webcafe52 wrote:
Despite what some know-it alls claim.

W.C., you should know that questioning the Great and Powerful Know-it-Alls is not conducive to good health.
150yearsinKuwait, and Vile-Sentiments are authorities on everything and should not be questioned. Rolling Eyes

That sounds about right! It's very important to believe all 10,000 posts from such know-it alls as well as their second or third-hand gossip.

As for Box Hill College, I have some experience with their application procedures and I am less than impressed with their failure to respond in a reasonable time (waiting months for a reply) only to get an apology - for their failure to respond. Their application process requires that we send them past lesson plans and many references. Our references get a very lengthy questionaire. I hate the fact they wasted their valuable time and the Box Hill College HR caused this. It's extremely rude and very unprofessional for them not to bother to follow up with their applicants. It's a similar situation with PMU in Saudi. RUDE and UNPROFESSIONAL!
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have some experience with their application procedures "

but you don't like the way they are treating you so you are going to throw your toys out of the pram ? Before you even get interviewed ?
Kalima Shahada

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
"I have some experience with their application procedures "

but you don't like the way they are treating you so you are going to throw your toys out of the pram? Before you even get interviewed ?

My toys have nothing to do with it. I'm not interested in an interview now anyway. I try and pick my employers carefully and so far this one has given nothing but big red flags. I thought I would warn others not to waste their time and energy with them since the procedure requires nearly 30 different attachements of original lesson plans, etc. etc. References are sent extremely long questionaires, which they fill out and then the HR at Box Hill fail to thank them or to follow up in a timely manner or at all for that matter.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodness... that is over the top. What is it with employers in the Gulf? These people seem to think that one is applying to be director of the CIA or something and then we have the ones who will hire you if you have the ability to send an email with your CV attached... no interview required.

VS
rowntree

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and then you have schools employing people with no credentials whatsoever....passing them through the Ministry as receptionists and sticking them in classrooms, hiding unqualified teachers when the ministry comes round, and employing people who have been banned in the UK or fired from other schools in Kuwait. And THEN they have the affront to charge parents 2 and 3 grand(KD) a year in fees....

It reminds me of that joke...... what do you call a nun on a skateboard?

A virgin on the ridiculous.....
colly64

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Boxhill College - any new info Reply with quote

I've been searching everywhere for information on this college but to no avail. I have read the thread here but it hasn't been updated for a few months. I would appreciate any information available please on the usual things such as conditons, expected/appropriate salary etc. I have 5 years experience teaching in universities & language schools in both Aust & UAE. I hold a CELTA & M.Ed (TESOL).

Thanks Laughing
pat blake

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do people really consider Applebees, McDonald's, TGIF's, etc. "good eateries?" Food courts have good food? I guess it's all a matter of taste. Of course, one can always eat at home/drive/ take a taxi into another part of town if you don't like the above restaurants. Kuwait is not a big city, but you have to content with horrendous traffic most parts of the day.
quietmole1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: hellava Box Reply with quote

You should think twice about working there. They regularly sack people because they dont like them. Upper management is chaotic, they increased teaching hours up to 25, have teachers go round and round doing admnistration jobs that administration doesnt do. There has beenno academic leadership for some months because they get rid of people. staff morale is very low and they have reduced all advertised payscales. they give you 8 weeks leave but you cant take it all until you have worked one calendar year so noone gets their 8 weeks in summer since they dont start work until september. one week mid-term break so that limits when you can take vacation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: