Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Live ok on 25 hrs teaching. Possible in Europe?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nabby Adams

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Live ok on 25 hrs teaching. Possible in Europe? Reply with quote

Just watched a movie last night set in France. Made me think. I have been in Asia for 15 years and to be honest I miss Europe. I am British btw.

But everybody knows how difficult it is to earn money there. So my question is, where in Europe has the best conditions for TEFLing. Any where that "looks Europe" if you know what I mean. I just want to walk down some Euopean streets, pop into cafes, see art. You know the type of thing.

I only have the BA and CELTA and I am 42. I've been a very popular teacher in Japan, but whether that will cross over?

Is there anywhere in this continent I could live reasonably well on 25 hours teaching?
Deicide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Live ok on 25 hrs teaching. Possible in Europe? Reply with quote

Nabby Adams wrote:
Just watched a movie last night set in France. Made me think. I have been in Asia for 15 years and to be honest I miss Europe. I am British btw.

But everybody knows how difficult it is to earn money there. So my question is, where in Europe has the best conditions for TEFLing. Any where that "looks Europe" if you know what I mean. I just want to walk down some Euopean streets, pop into cafes, see art. You know the type of thing.

I only have the BA and CELTA and I am 42. I've been a very popular teacher in Japan, but whether that will cross over?

Is there anywhere in this continent I could live reasonably well on 25 hours teaching?

No, and your experience in Japan won't matter either. Sorry to be so harsh but the truth is there is no chance of what you want...
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that I basically agree with Deicide, but I'll expand a bit on his answer.

With a BA + CELTA, and experience only in Asia, you will be at the newbie level across Europe, which is subsistence level in terms of wages. Housing is relatively very expensive - you would normally be facing spending 40-50% of your income unless you want to flat-share. 25 hours per week is not likely to be enough to 'live well' in any part of Europe.

Further, you should be aware that the job market here is very tight. Perhaps in 2011, but for now there are many, many teachers on the job market and employers have little incentive to offer better wages than subsistence level.

Asian students and teaching contexts are VERY different to those in Europe. Some of the least successful teachers I've known are those who were highly regarded in Asia - but the skill set of teaching techniques are so different that teachers often find it very difficult to switch gears so radically.

European students tend to have real reasons to learn English. They are far more independent and demanding and may well expect to have a guiding role in what is studied. They can be very critical of teachers. Their typical problems do not reflect those of Asian students. It's simply a different world in nearly every respect.

Perhaps a long holiday in cobblestone realms would suffice?
Nabby Adams

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the advice. Well, it was just a whim I suppose.

Very interesting Spiral about the transition. I have been told many times how "good" I am over here. But honestly you never know in Japan. I have though got several "promotions" in a sense and they were always based on how much the students liked me. I do seriously wonder if my teaching would cut it elsewhere though.

But just suppose I was intent on coming over in 2011 what would be the best of a bad bunch re standard of living?

I don't need to save or actually buy anything while I was there. I just need a place, food, some money for nightlife and most importantly a nice city to live in.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Well, I think any of the bigger cities would probably fit that bill. Early September is the best time to come over (as you probably know) and there should always be some work around. You've obviously got the right passport as well, so that's a definite benefit.

Have you heard that Germany's officially out of the recession? I expect the region to follow as well. However, I doubt salaries will improve because of the many teachers on the ground escaping tough financial conditions in their home countries.

But your expectations sound realistic and I expect you could do well enough to enjoy the place.

Weather's obviously a consideration - Barcelona or Prague? Rome or Berlin? I think the market will be roughly equivalent wherever in 2011, in general terms.
Nmarie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Live ok on 25 hrs teaching. Possible in Europe? Reply with quote

Nabby Adams wrote:

From my perspective in Paris, this is the biggest issue. Unless you find an employer offering guaranteed minimum hours or a fixed salary, you cannot count on 25 hours/wk year round in the language school sector. Students are business clientele who cancel regularly due to vacations or work obligations. Better to have mostly groups rather than individuals, but it is still unstable. Also, when a series of lessons has finished, will your employer immediately have new students to fill that hole - maybe, maybe not. A very tough way to support yourself.
Mrguay84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Live ok on 25 hrs teaching. Possible in Europe? Reply with quote

Nmarie wrote:
Nabby Adams wrote:

Students are business clientele who cancel regularly due to vacations or work obligations. Better to have mostly groups rather than individuals, but it is still unstable. Also, when a series of lessons has finished, will your employer immediately have new students to fill that hole - maybe, maybe not. A very tough way to support yourself.

Couldn't they work in a 'proper' school (or University?). Where there isn't the same risk in this regard??
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My view is that a living wage for TEFLing is paid only in Japan, Korea and the Gulf. Harsh but true.

I would prefer to be in Italy or France but...........................................
Insubordination

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prob is the spread of the 25 hours. It sounds like so little but it can start at 7am and finish at 9pm if you're unlucky. Then you go out after class and at weekends and you're permanently knackered.

I don't know what you mean by live well. You might be able to afford your own place (I could in Spain but lived in a small town) but you would have to watch the pennies and cut the luxuries and save for the summer but it's possible and can be a lot of fun, depending on your attitude. I had a contract of 27 hours but many teachers in the same town had 22 hours (and no split shifts). However, I mostly got to teach adults, which is easier for me.

If it's your dream, then try to do it. At least you have the right qualifications and nationality. Can suggest a country however. Do you have any language skills or a particular interest?
Kootvela

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Lithuania 25h was just fine taking into consideration the company paid for work permits, visas, housing and air fare. That was in 2008 and for native speakers hired from abroad. Today everybody's trying to cut costs and find the cheapest option. I always get blackmailed with "There are many people willing to do it but your contact came up first, so what are your rates?". I hate it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Luder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In France it can be done, but at least nineteen or twenty of those hours must be vacations, paid at a minimum of 35 euros an hour, often in a lump sum, at universities, engineering schools, business schools, and the like. Not language teaching institutes, in other words. Contacts at such institutes can be useful for short courses during the long breaks between semesters, of course.

It's unlikely too that you'll know enough about the local market to be able to drop right in to these vacations, or adjuncting jobs, easily had though they are.
Mike_2007

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working for an international school in Bucharest, yes, it can be easily done. Working privately, yes, with some effort, good reputation and local contacts. Working for a language school (very few around and they don't often hire NTs full time), probably not.

Of course, a lot depends on your debts, dependants, lifestyle, and so on. Assuming you've got a clean credit sheet and reasonable/modest tastes, then I think living off 25hrs a week is definately possible.
markcmc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course your experience will cross over in Europe. At first it will be difficult, but nothing that you cannot handle, I'm sure. Although employers might not consider your experience as being exactly what they want; you will get work if you actively look for it.

As far as money goes, you are probably better off in Japan.
Kootvela

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And something else. If you are freelancing, it's 25 hours. If you are on a work contract in Lithuania, it's 40 hours: 25 contact hours or so plus testing, lesson preparation, standby, etc but the 'good' thing is you're paid for 25 contact hours only, others are just 'your responsibilities included'.

That's in private sector, state sector wouldn't probably be available to you because of the education difference.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Doctor T

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: TEFL in Europe Reply with quote

I've been scouring every nook and cranny of job ads in Europe for three months and have come to the conclusion that it is best to go back to London. I've seen a few ads for jobs in Germany teaching business English offering over 2,000 Euro, but they also require some kind of business degree as well as years of TEFL experience. The maximum pay on the continent I've seen for general English is 1,300 Euro a month, but that is only in cities like Milan, Madrid, Paris, Rome - after taxes and accommodation costs, what are you left with? Enough to eat, if you're lucky. It's a tough, gritty world out there right now. Stay in Asia!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: