Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching children in Spain is a nightmare!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Teaching children in Spain is a nightmare! Reply with quote

I have some classes with children and they drive me mad, I usually can't sleep the night before. It is so stressful!They are rude, disobedient , if I do games they get out of control if I don't they say the class is boring. They show no interest of any kind in learning anything and the language they use is incredible. A friend of mine said that she knows of some teachers that left Spain because the classes were mainly with children and they could not do it.
Has anyone else had the same experience or is it just me being unlucky?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like teaching kids. Never thought that I would. NOw I"m a kindergarten teacher in China for four year olds. The key is discipline. Though to be honest I prefer the young, young kids, rather than the middle schoolers. With four year olds, you can pick them up and put them in the corner if they are bad. Smile
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Spanish kids are not like Chinese Reply with quote

I've met a few teachers that taught kids in Asia and had no problems there but they said they could not handle it in Spain. We are talking about completely different countries.There was a report on TV last week about primary school teachers having to take time off for depression. I understand them.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's horrible, what makes the kids in Spain so bad?
Mouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly, GS, I've also heard of teachers finding young classes in Spain (and elsewhere) difficult, but I also have to say that *touch wood* I have no difficulty with my kids (apart from a tendency to lapse back into Catalan when they think I'm not listening, the little blighters). I do know how you're feeling, though.

I remember being given a last-minute relief class in New Zealand, which consisted of a group of spoilt Korean boys of ages 8 to 12. They were culture-shocked, having just arrived in the country, spoke little English and were used to being the apples of their parents' eyes. I had almost no resources and the class was more than three hours long... Needless to say, it was hard work. Though it was a truly horrible teaching experience, it taught me some valuable lessons (though they may not hold true for others): start hard and become softer throughout the course, never the other way around (first you need respect, then you earn their friendship, and after that you'll never worry again); establish a routine (which doesn't mean always doing the same thing, but that they know you'll start by taking register, asking them a few questions, then marking the homework and following with some sort of warmer [or cooler!]); recognise that just because they're young, doesn't mean they aren't clever or capable of being motivated, if they aren't interested in learning English, chances are it isn't interesting (structured variety and dynamism are the key); and, while you should by all means get their opinion on aspects of the class, when you make up your mind, follow that decision through.

I'm running out of time now, but a few final suggestions (bearing in mind I have absolutely no idea what you do in your classes, or how) might be to involve them in the class in a more involved way than games (and be careful how you use that word... I've been known to say, "Ok, now we have a test" and then to wrap it up in a game, and then they get all sly and say "Heeeey, this isn't a test" and I say, "Isn't it? Are you sure?"): doing a personalised dictation, getting them to teach-the-teacher some aspect of their culture (or vocabulary, grammar, or what-have-you), even having them write up the things you want on the board.

Enough for now. Wink Chin up, you'll get through.
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: tried all this Reply with quote

Thanks for your message. I do all these things, I've been teaching for 8 years so I know games, etc. The problem with these kids is not English is their general behaviour and education. I hear them using the same kind of language with their babysitters and with the secretary in the school. I can handle them but some classes with kids are just like that in Spain. It is the way kids seem to be brought up at the moment here. Especially in the wealthy area where I teach where parents don't even know their kids that much since they seem to have what they call an " interina" ( some kind of servant) and a babysitter.
I can handle it but the day I wrote the mail I was so fed up that I thought I would share it with someone else. Of course there's better and worse days depends on the mood they come in.
Mouse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say, I don't think the children here are any worse than those of other nationalities that I've taught, but maybe you've just been unlucky. Or I need more diversity in the types of kids classes I am exposed to. Regardless, good luck getting them into shape.
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:03 pm    Post subject: Spanish children Reply with quote

I taught 11 - 16 year olds. Many of the younger ones were incredibly spoiled, but the 15 and 16 year-olds behaved much better.
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems with teenagers, it is one group of 8-10 years old. And it is actually two ( brother and sister) that are so badly behaved. It is a pity because they ruin all the class.
John

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think yourself lucky that you are not in Cyprus. This report comes from the Greek daily Kathimerini:

"Two teenage schoolboys were due to be charged in Cyprus yesterday with assault for allegedly swaddling a teacher in a curtain and putting a trash bin over her head after the unfortunate woman tried to give her English class a test.

"The incident took place on Wednesday in a Limassol state senior high school, one hour before teachers all over Cyprus were due to go on strike to protest against an increase in unruly and violent behavior on behalf of schoolchildren.

"When the 50-year-old English teacher told her class of 16- and 17-year-olds they would have to take a test, the teenagers rebelled, tearing up the test papers and shouting. One boy tore down a curtain and wrapped it around the woman, while a classmate grabbed a wastepaper basket and stuck it over her head.

"Other pupils took photos of their incapacitated teacher with their mobile phones� built-in cameras."

http://www.ekathimerini.com/4dcgi/_w_articles_politics_100016_12/03/2004_40591
gsbcn08080

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject: Problem might be solved Reply with quote

Thanks for your post John. These two kids (brother and sister) have been expelled from the school. The director sent a letter to the parents saying the school would return their money and we would not accept them in the school any longer. That was on Friday and we have not heard from the parents yet. I just hope they don't appear today Monday as usual.
Tesfa Cat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! I have been English for almost three now and have to say that the children I worked with in Spain had the worst behaviour. Not always in the classroom but with their parents etc. Mums and Dads would let their kids run around like maniacs in supermarkets, in bars and streets and I have never seen so many children prostrate themselves on the floor kicking and screaming in order to get what they wanted. They really could be little Twisted Evil 's However, a little time in school with fair rules and enforced boundaries and we all got along no problem.
happyfencer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't taught in Spain but I can't imagine that they could be any worse than kids here in the U.S. I'm a public school teacher in Colorado and we have students who are actively involved in gangs, and gang shootings. The girls are known to give oral sex to any guy who can provide her with some marijuana. And these are just the middle school kids. Still, even though my kids were complete bad-a***s at the beginning of the year I've whipped them into shape with a lot of discipline and a no-nonsense attitute. Remember, that ultimately you hold the power: you can make their a hour lesson fun, engaging, and rewarding, or you can make is miserable for them. Don't put up with their antics. And just hang in there--I thought that I seriously was going to kill my devil-students, but now things have settled down and we actually have some RESPECT in the classroom. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: