Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Various questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tram66

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Various questions Reply with quote

I've read through and searched the board and I still have some questions. I may have missed them being answered elsewhere, so please be patient if I asked something that has actually been answered many times.

I have a US passport.

1) To get through Immigration, do I need to have a round trip ticket? And do I need to prove I have funds to support myself?

2) Should I compose a CV in German or English? I've heard most places want one in English, since you'll be teaching English.

3) Everyone says the school year starts in early September. Is there a way to find an exact date? How many weeks should I be there before the start of the term?

4) Just to fully confirm, though I've read this many times. Being a US citizen, I have to go there on a tourist Visa, then get letters of intent from two different schools to be an official freelance instructor. Then I can go through the residency and work permit processes. Correct?

Thanks for all your help.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bit I am sure of, as I fly into Frankfurt from North America regularly. I have documents that allow me to live/work in the EU, but they are separate from my US passport and I do not show them unless asked. So I normally enter just with the US passport.

You do not need a round trip ticket or proof of funds. You will enter the Schengen zone on your US passport, they'll give you a stamp, and you are automatically legally in the zone for 90 days. No special documents needed.

The only possible problem with this is if you leave after 90 days of your entry date, and this is noted by the passport-checker at the airport. Then, you're busted.

(This is where my 'other' documents come in handy - I'm rarely gone from Europe for 90 days and often appear to have overstayed, you see.)

These bits are just my (educated) guess. Other posters may have more definitive info here:

Exact dates that schools begin probably depend on their clients. Expect roughly first to second week September in most cases.

If you can compose your CV in both German and English, I think employers would be impressed. It shows some commitment to the region, I think. That's just an opinion, though!
renovatio

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flew into Germany in August of 2004 which of course is part of the Shengen zone, and I flew out of Italy, another member of the Shengen zone in February of 2006, with no problems whatsoever. I had a SOFA card in while staying in Germany that exempted me from the Shengen treaty, but there is no way the airport authorities could've known this as I turned in my SOFA card when I left Germany, and nothing was stamped in my passport. Sooooo, as far as being "busted" I wasn't at all. I left in early 2006 so things might have changed though.

Also on a side note, I'm going to hold off on buying my ticket until I see how the crisis in Greece turns out for the rest of Europe. I'm aiming for early August to go, but I'm going to wait to buy my ticket. I read that Germany is the largest contributor to aid Greece in the euro zone, which I know doesn't mean anything, but I also read that Germany currently has the lowest unemployment rate, around 7.5%, in Europe. You live in Germany right spiral? What are the people's responses to the government there allowing the largest aid to Greece? Anything?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Schengen zone 90-day laws went into effect January 2009. It has changed, indeed.

I live in the Netherlands, on the border with Germany, and a majority of the students at this uni are German. I teach in the faculty of economics, and of course this stuff is discussed. Concensus so far - public resentment, but it's unlikely to impact the economy dramatically.
renovatio

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 90 day law has been around before 2009, but the new 90 days in and 90 days completely out of the Shengen zone maybe new, is that what you mean spiral? I think maybe before 2009 you could go into another country within the Shengen zone and then come right back, is that right?

I know that there are many people in position in Germany right now that only have a SOFA card and nothing else. They probably give some kind of proof to show airport authorities that you've had a SOFA stamp the whole time when you leave the Shengen zone after 90 days I'm guessing. I guess I'll find out if I get a SOFA again.
JN

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does Sofa mean? This must be something new. I haven't been in Germany for a few years, but I am hoping to go soon.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 90 day law has been around before 2009, but the new 90 days in and 90 days completely out of the Shengen zone maybe new, is that what you mean spiral? I think maybe before 2009 you could go into another country within the Shengen zone and then come right back, is that right?

Exactly. Now you have to stay out for 90 days - that is the new bit that eliminated the Ever-Popular Border Run Option Sad
renovatio

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA). I don't know the history of it, but I'm sure it's been around for a while between the US and Germany. You get a SOFA card if you work for the military in some way, civilian or uniform.
JN

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks renovatio for the explanation of SOFA. I actually don't plan on working for the military. It's good to know that this isn't something I would need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: