Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please ignore the negative posts found in this forum
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pavid

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm new to the forum and I am interested to see the differing opinions here about Singapore. I have been applying for some jobs there and was wondering what is an appropriate amount to ask for given I have been offered what seems to be quite a long working week (2pm - 10pm, 6 days a week). I have 2 years experience, an MA (not teaching related), and TESOL cert.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on where you are from. Singapore can be a tad racist. If you are not white, and are carrying a passport from a developing country then expect shite hrs and rubbish pay. Sad but true.

The hours you mention are ridiculous for teaching.

Fair full-time pay seems to start at SGD3500 per month or so. Certainly no less than this.
virgemary

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I'm quite astounded by all the whinings and negative comments here about Singapore! First and foremost, a condo is a luxury. If you choose to reside somewhere with pool and facilities, you gotta pay the price. Simple as that. If ya not willing to fork out the dough, then share the apartment.

Eat in food courts and hawker centres instead of fancy restaurants or cafes. Be assured most of the locals in Singapore are earning much lesser and they get by so seriously, stop all the whinings.

I'm working in Istanbul with a much lesser pay and living amongst the locals instead of some posh areas with the expats here. I get by. I enjoy my stay here. I also understand the Turks are earning perhaps a third of what I'm earning and working three or four times more hours than me so instead of complaining non stop about my pay, I make the most out of my experience here and it has been a real enriching one for me.

Istanbul is more expensive than Sg in terms of cost of living fyi. No country is perfect, it's a matter of you blending in and making the most out of it.
KayuJati

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

virgemary wrote:
Yea I'm quite astounded by all the whinings and negative comments here about Singapore! First and foremost, a condo is a luxury. If you choose to reside somewhere with pool and facilities, you gotta pay the price. Simple as that. If ya not willing to fork out the dough, then share the apartment.

Eat in food courts and hawker centres instead of fancy restaurants or cafes. Be assured most of the locals in Singapore are earning much lesser and they get by so seriously, stop all the whinings.

I'm working in Istanbul with a much lesser pay and living amongst the locals instead of some posh areas with the expats here. I get by. I enjoy my stay here. I also understand the Turks are earning perhaps a third of what I'm earning and working three or four times more hours than me so instead of complaining non stop about my pay, I make the most out of my experience here and it has been a real enriching one for me.

Istanbul is more expensive than Sg in terms of cost of living fyi. No country is perfect, it's a matter of you blending in and making the most out of it.

It's funny. I read through the same posts that you did and I don't see any whining about Singapore. Perhaps you can enlighten us with some quotes?

It is important that newbies get a balanced picture of a place before they commit a chunk of their time and money towards making move. I don't see where a balanced picture is a whine. And how does your experience of living in Istanbul relate to the OP's question regarding Singapore?

MOD EDIT
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: