Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job opportunities
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
icc

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Job opportunities Reply with quote

Hey

I've relatively recently done a course leading to CELTA and PTLLS qualifications, and have a degree in Mechanical Engineering. However, I don't have much experience. Would it be possible to get a job in Kuwait on this basis?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you could offer
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with your qualifications, you'll have much more job security and better working conditions as an eng.
google kharafi national (even al ghanim or keo) and
bayt.com gulftalent.com monstergulf.com
Starfell

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.equate.com
icc

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.

15yearsinQ8 and Starfell: As mentioned on the other thread, I've not much interest in persuing a career in engineering. This being the case - and engineering being one of those areas where I feel salaries in general don't reflect effort - I can think of less 'time-consuming' ways to earn a living

Having applied for several ELT jobs in the Middle East, I've found many stipulate a certain level of experience as a 'must' (and how strict they are in this requirement I'm not sure). Hence, I hope someone with some experience might read this and be able to offer some advice as to what I might do; ie. continue to apply for positions, concentrate on gaining experience here (the UK), or ..?

Thanks again.. and if anyone can offer some advice in light of the above it would be much appeciated
Starfell

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the colleges of further education here might employ you in their engineering depts, try them.
pat blake

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most places are pretty serious about the amount of experience. The university of kuwait is very serious about it. Also, will not hire anyone without certain degrees (these days; in the past it was different). There are a lot more candidates than well-paying ESL positions, so institutions can afford to be (sometimes too) picky.
bedwiya

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think that teaching is not 'time consuming'? Any teacher worth their salt puts in many hours a week above and beyond the 'office hours'. It's attitudes like yours that give those of us in ESL who are serious teachers a bad rap. People still think 'anyone who can speak English can teach it'. Perhaps you should stick with engineering - I am sure any of us would love to get the paycheck that enginners take home - and the respect.
icc

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies

bedwiya: It seems you may have taken my words in the wrong way. By what I typed, I didn't necessarily mean that EFL teachers don't work 'hard'. However, I think the input-output ratio is significantly better than with many engineers. To highlight this point, if someone really wanted a job with a very good input-output ratio I might recommend accountancy. This doesn't necessarily mean accountancy isn't a respected profession; however, I don't think it compares much with engineering in the terms mentioned above
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

students in kuwait can be very hard to motivate
therefore it will probably take a lot of input for the desired output

again, i stress you will get a lot more respect as an engineer than as a run of the mill tefl teacher with your qualifications

i can see a job site
'the engineer is coming'
people react
classroom
'the teacher is coming'
totally different reaction

you'll see
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icc wrote:
To highlight this point, if someone really wanted a job with a very good input-output ratio I might recommend accountancy. This doesn't necessarily mean accountancy isn't a respected profession; however, I don't think it compares much with engineering in the terms mentioned above
I'm not sure what you are saying here. My first career was in accounting. I didn't like the working 6-7 days a week, 10 hours days, for one or two weeks of vacation a year. EFL was a vacation... especially the tax-free part... Laughing

VS
icc

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, well.. I suppose that goes for any job should you choose to work certain hours.. the point being an accountant wouldn't usually need to work those hours in order to be on a good wage I guess
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I would say that you are under a major misconception about pay and hours. If you work short hours, you will be getting a salary similar to a school teacher in the US... probably less. And teachers are famously low on the scale here.

High pay jobs in accounting are high pressure and long hours. I was in the field part and full time for 21 years before I went into EFL.

VS
Starfell

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a degree and an EFL qualification AND a western passport you should be earning between 700-1300 KD depending on the school which employs you- they may employ you as a class teacher even if you have no experience.
Do not take a ''high'' salary as an indication of a good school.
You may be paid higher for about 24 hours a week contact at AMIDEAST or BITE or The British Council- language institutes.
I believe, tho I'm not sure, unis and colleges pay higher.

Come on a visit visa and walk in to these places, you'd be surprise what doors open, especially around early September.
icc

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments: Well, let's not turn this into an 'exact science'! As I'm sure you know better then me accountancy is quite a broad field, of which branches into several areas. A memner of my family is an auditor, and he recommends the field as an 'easy' way to make a living, so to speak. Anyway, I think you understand the point I've made.

Starfell: Thanks for that. This is the kind of advice I'm looking for. I've been applying for jobs for the past two months or so now, and have yet to gain a position. Could this be due to the time of the year and/or lack of experience? Basically, an answer I'm trying to squeeze out of someone here is to the following question: am I wasting my time applying for a job in Saudi? And - fearing the question may be too 'simplistic' - how would you recommend I go about trying to land a position (eg. visiting Saudi, as you've suggested)?

Thanks in advance
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icc wrote:
veiledsentiments: Well, let's not turn this into an 'exact science'! As I'm sure you know better then me accountancy is quite a broad field, of which branches into several areas. A memner of my family is an auditor, and he recommends the field as an 'easy' way to make a living, so to speak. Anyway, I think you understand the point I've made.
I can only say that apparently "accountancy" in the UK is a completely different field than "accounting" in the US. But as I say... I only did it for 21 years in various parts of the US, so what do I know...

icc wrote:
Starfell: Thanks for that. This is the kind of advice I'm looking for. I've been applying for jobs for the past two months or so now, and have yet to gain a position. Could this be due to the time of the year and/or lack of experience? Basically, an answer I'm trying to squeeze out of someone here is to the following question: am I wasting my time applying for a job in Saudi? And - fearing the question may be too 'simplistic' - how would you recommend I go about trying to land a position (eg. visiting Saudi, as you've suggested)?

Short answer? It's lack of credentials... added to a large number of applicants this year.

Are you Muslim? Otherwise you can't get into Saudi to job search...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: