Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retiring to UK after Teaching
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scot47

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Retiring to UK after Teaching Reply with quote

To my surprise I managed to get myself a secure tenancy from a Housing Association in Scotland after a lifetime (well almost) working abroad.

At an affordable rent too ! Subsequently had a look at some of the English Housing Association sites. Seems to be more difficult there.

Of course for many there is still a stigma attached to "council housing" (which is now called "social housing"). Well I do not care - I have my 54 sq m apartment in the centre of a beautiful town on a Scottish island. 244 pounds a month !

Here is a lead to one of the many Housing Associations in Scotland.

http://www.sbha.org.uk/view_item.aspx?item_id=3
While I was out

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Scot. I've been thinking how difficult it might be to return home after an extended stay away. Good luck.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came as a surprise to me that it is so easy to get housing from a Housing Association. Admittedly it is in an area that has been losing population recently, but I was assuming that there were would be restrictions about being already resident, or having some specific local connection. That was the way it used to be in the old days. Things seem to be easier now.

If anyone wants advice on how to proceed I will be happy to advise. Send me a pm.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard that a colleague has taken the same road. After years working abroad, he applied for and was offered a tenancy.

Is this the beginning of a trend ? Will Housing Associations be snowed under with requests from aging TEFLers ?

Contact me if you would like to take this road. Of course if you prefer to make your home on a park bench after retirement, just ignore my invitation !

Last edited by scot47 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott,

Can you please explain what you mean by getting a "secure tenancy." This is a British term that we Yanks don't understand! Are you offered a reduced-cost or fixed-cost lease on the flat for the rest of your life? Or do you own it? Can you sell it or (if rented) pass the lease to a family member?
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under Scottish Housing Law, a secure tenancy is a tenancy held by an individual from a "Social Landlord" ie Housing Association. As long as the tenant pays the rent and refrains from naughty behaviour (dealing, pimping etc) he cannot be evicted. Rent is controlled by the State, and generally increases in line with inflation

The tenancy can be inherited by a spouse, civil partner or family member who lives with the tenant.
Dedicated

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The laws about Housing Association Secure Tenancies are very different between England and Scotland.

In England, a secure tenancy applies almost always to those renting since before 15th January 1989. At present, the waiting lists for a Housing Association property vary between 18 months and 4 years, particularly in the London area.

Scot47 is very lucky to have landed a neat property so easily in Scotland.
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it in a housing estate or other block of flats?
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a town house in the centre of a small town. The row of houses was built in the 1830's and modernised in 1983. I am one minutes walk from the public library, two minutes to the Police Station and 5 minutes from the Doctor's. Three minutes will get me to the ferry terminal. By public transport I can be in Central Glasgow in just over 90 minutes.

This is not a Housing Estate like the Glasgow equivalent of the Housing Developments seen on "The Wire".(Easterhouse, Drumchapel, Castlemilk).

The island has been losing population because of the shortage of jobs. Another factor in our now car-obsessed society is that the ferry to the mainland costs 20 pounds if you take your car. So 40 pounds round trip if you want to head for Glasgow. My solution is simple - live without a car !
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm jealous!
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sole purpose in posting was to gloat at my triumph and to create jealousy in the hearts of other posters ! SUCCESS !
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..........and I am still gloating - especially when I hear how difficult it is Down South !

Last edited by scot47 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mrs McClusky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: to the UK............ I don t get it Reply with quote

all those years in Saudi paid off huh. must be the first teacher in history who can afford to retire TO the UK... I thought it was an error lol
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is RENTED accommodation ! I am not up there with Donald Trump and Bill Gates. Divorce has a price.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
I am one minutes walk from the public library, two minutes to the Police Station and 5 minutes from the Doctor's.

Uncle Scott, what about fire station, how long it will take you to reach them? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: