Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Barcelona job offer w/ XTEC- Pls tell me if it's legit!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dw972001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anyone actually wire the money and find out it wasn't a scam? I'm just curious
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep dreaming. Honestly, it's 100% scam. I certainly hope no-one wired the money!!
SirKirby

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest that Dave's ESL Cafe would be improved by all forums carrying the same "sticky" post with a list of known scammers, including their names and phone numbers used, as well as the titles of the jobs they appear to be posting.

There is actually one such sticky on the Spain forum already.
Lukefla79

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a scam! I received same offer from Arnaldo Cruz.They offered me 1800 EUROS per month with furnished 2 bedroom apartment and reimbursement for flight. They hired me without interview and they say the head director is on leave and they want me to pay $750 EURO for the plane ticket, and they will cover the rest and they will reimburse me for my 750 when I get back. here is a copy of the acceptance email that I received. I will also include the school info they provided me below.

XTEC (Xarxa Telem�tica Educativa de Catalunya)
Via Augusta, 202-226
08021 Barcelona
Tel�fon +34931845731

Dear Luke,

We are very pleased to hear from you again. We would like to inform you and let you know that your application was successfully selected and fully considered by XTEC. We received the message from the school yesterday evening and your application was among the few selected candidates. Right now, a contract agreement has be attached along with this message for you to read and review carefully before going to the next step. You will only need to fill in the upper part of the agreement which will include your names and address and forward it back to us. You do not need to sign at the bottom of the agreement until you arrive and sit with the board of directors to sign together.

Your application was selected with few others base on the evaluation conducted by the school on the resume/cv's presented. You will have the opportunity to sit with the school board of directors when you arrived to the school for an introductory interview. The inteview is not to determined whether you will be taking or not anymore. It will only be an introductory interview to get you more acquainted with the school. Should you feel like waiting for the Director to get back and conduct an interview with you over the phone before taking any further step, please kindly indicate.

There is going to be a 2weeks orientation training program for all the new teachers and it is very important for every teacher to participate in this program. You will have to register your information when arranging your flight reservation with the agency. The training will be handle by the Immigration Expert Team Organization. They will also make arrangement for all your traveling plans. They will pick you at the Barcelona Airport when you arrive to give you more details about the training and get you safely to the school provided accommodation. You will be visiting many places in Manlleu and most of the important areas of Barcelona cities during the orientation period in order to get good familiarity with the environment.

Should you decide not to wait for the Director, Then, you will need to contact the agency ASAP! so they can register your information for the program and also start with every necessary arrangement to get you to the school. They will also search for a good and affordable flight that will take you from your present location to Manlleu in Barcelona. You can contact the Agency via email ([email protected])

Kindly get back to us promptly, after reviewing the contract agreement, to further confirm your interest and acceptance of the position. You will need to forward to us your flight itinerary once it is booked, In order for your name and profile to be included in the new English Version of the school website which is currently under upgrade.

Let us know if you receive the contract agreement.

Regards

Arnaldo Cruz

Dear Luke,

We are pleased to contact you again with the update from the school regarding the airfare and how it will be shared. We did received a message back from the school few moment ago. How ever, We would like you to understand that due to the fact that other teachers are also involved in this flight situation, The school will not be able to assist much on the flight fare for teachers. They will only give flight support base on the school financial budget for the year.

Right now, The board of directors has decided to support you with the sum of $360 from the total sum of $ 1,110.00 of the flight fare presented. You are only to make available to the Immigration team the remaining amount of $750

It is important to know that, You will be reimburse with the sum of $750 upon your arrival and signing of the contract officially with the school and resuming duty. You will need to inform us ASAP! once you have made the payment available to the agency so that the school can also forward their part payment. Once your flight is booked, you will forward to us the itinenary informations so that the school will be aware of your flight schedules and be able to organise a welcome party for you. The immigration team will also need to provide you with a confirmation message of registering you for the training and orientation which you will need to forward to us as well.

Let us know if this message is perfectly understood. We will wait to hear back from you promptly.

Regards

Arnaldo Cruz
jonniboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys seriously, why do you even have to ask if this is a scam? It's equivalent to a school based in California or Texas offering $150k a year for Spanish people to go there to teach. Why on earth would they do that, particularly the complicated visa process involved, when they can have their pick of Spanish mother tongue candidates there?

Spain is one of the favourite countries for British teachers to work and Barcelona must certainly be near the top of the list of favoured cities. Besides this meaning that language centre owners don't have to look too far, it also has a negative effect on the wages and conditions offered. There's no need for them to provide flats, air fares and what have you. Additionally, Spain is a low wage economy with public sector wages barely above the �1000 a month mark not unheard of. That also reduces the "pickings" available. Last I heard (and those on the ground can feel free to correct me) a standard contract in a language centre in Barca paid somewhere around the �1300 mark without flat or flight.

I can also only speak from my own experience. In Summer 2007 I decided I'd go to Barca to work. I'd four years experience (2 of them in Spain), advanced Spanish, had just finished a course in pre-intermediate Catalan, an EU passport and a flight booked. Despite sending out well over 20 CVs, the best I got were 3 offers to arrange face to face interviews after I arrived. That was also in the boom years, when unemployment was less than half what it is now.
vernon1966

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -
new to forum - just to say we have also been contacted by these people with exactly the same story - we were suspicous so started doing a little research and found the information on this forum.
We are still having corrospondance with Mr "liar/thief/coward" Cruz and his Orientation Agency to see how his scam unfolds.
Anyone new reading this with similar hopes that we had please now be aware this is bogus and the job does not exist - sorry.
We would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to post on this subject as you saved us a great deal of time and effort - hope that our contribution will also help others who have similar concerns.
vernon1966

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may also be of help to anyone who has forwarded funds to these people.
A contact telephone number from Mr Alnardo Cruz -

"Our phone number here in the U.K is (+447045712072)"

he also confirmed his office is based in Coventry UK.
vernon1966

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is a mail received from Alvaro Federico regarding payment for the "Orientation Course" - and in response to several questions about his company - again maybe there is some information which may be of help to someone.

Hello Vernon,
We need you to understand that your concerns is greatly understood. We would like you to know that our company is an accreddited agency a property of Spain tour with travel agent license number ( CICMA 840 ) even though we don't presently have a website to show our authenticity and credibility. The agency is made up of few group of retired immigration officers mainly established to assist foreigners and tourist in need of visa and all travel issues. You need to count your trust more on the school and not the agency because they instructed you to contact us. We have been rendering this immigration service for more than 3 years and there has never been a single bad publicity or complain from anyone about the organization. The reason for our involvement in this transition is because of the training and orientation program which is going to be handle by the agency. So all documentations need to be facilitated through the agency office which includes the flight reservation. You are not the only one we are assisting, there are other involves. So, don't start having a wrong impression because you need to send money in getting this done.

If, we are not rendering a good service or probably ripping people off their money which we believe is your assumption we wouldn't be in existence today. You should always allow your conscience to guide you through your endeavours. We believe you ought to have gotten everything settled and fully convinced with the school offer before contacting us. The money is not a priority but to get this done accordingly and at the appropriate time for you. At this stage, you are only supposed to be appreciative and not to be having a negative feelings about the agency after committing all effort in order to expedite the process faster. We don't have much time anymore to continue dealing on this issue.

Now, concerning the payment, we don't accept people's bank information or credit cards. We only accept wire transfer with western union or money gram without disclosing any personal or private informations on the internet about themselves. We believe that is more secured for any transaction.

Therefore, We will only accept a quick wire transfer to expedite the process. Western Union will be appreciated. The payment will need to be send directly to our financial department in Madrid office through the accounting officer Mr Terry Winans. We have already received money from others and their has never been a single issue arising on that. We will wait to hear back.

Alvaro Federico

Phone:- +34931845731
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a joke.

The agency is made up of few group of retired immigration officers mainly established to assist foreigners and tourist in need of visa and all travel issues

If they're retired, how can they get anyone a visa?? These are only issued by actual (active) government officials.

At this stage, you are only supposed to be appreciative and not to be having a negative feelings about the agency

Oh, kind sir, how nice of you to allow me to send you my hard-earned money for a service you can't provide! (getting a visa arranged)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Spain All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: