Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making Argentinian friends/acquantances.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobTM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Making Argentinian friends/acquantances. Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm going to be teaching English in Latin America this summer, and Argentina is of course in my considerations, but I'd like to know about social life in Argentina from some foreigners on the ground.

What I've heard is that people are very outwardly friendly, but at the core have very strongly defined social groups that foreigners can't always find ways to enter.

So basically, the story goes that people are more than happy to be friendly and hang out with you, yet getting to know people well can be difficult because of such strong pre-existing social ties.

Does this jive with your experience in Argentina? Do you feel that people keep a shield up if they haven't known you for years, even though they might be outwardly friendly? Are your closest friends Argentinians or foreigners?

I imagine that the negatives I've heard about Argentina have a large amount to do with Gringos who go there and expect people to speak English to them or complain about Rioplatense being a pain compared to what they learned previously.

But it is possible that Argentinians are just more reserved than other Latinos, it's not a character flaw if you don't allow random newcomers into your life at the drop of a hat. Some people just want to be sure of you before opening up, which makes plenty of sense at a personal level.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: