Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My experience teaching in & around San Jose

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
molson2468

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: My experience teaching in & around San Jose Reply with quote

I've just finished a 6 month contract with Whittemore de Costa Rica, S.A (website: www.inglescostarica.com) and recommend this company for someone looking to gain teaching experience while having lots of opporutnity to explore Costa Rica. You won't be making any money to pay off those student loans, although the pay rate is quite high compared to other English schools, but you'll have (adult) students who are eager to learn English, a great company to work for, provided accommodations, if you so choose (cable and internet included in rent price), and lots of time to explore Costa Rica. The website is very detailed and is true to its' word. I lived outside San Jose in a town called Heredia and found it to be a safe neighbourhood. I did work at night but my students would always drive me to the main bus depot, so no worries there. You only work Monday-Thursday, so have 3 day weekends in which to explore Costa Rica. Sometimes your work hours drop, anywhere from a max. of 16 hr/wk to a low of 8, but my boss was always working hard to keep my hours high. If you have any questions please let me know and I'll be happy to answer them.
jprimm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree. I worked for them a couple of years ago and it was an excellent experience. The owner is a good guy, honest and very fair...
astralfrog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were both of you able to live off the money from teaching while in Costa Rica? My impression is that one would have to have a supplemental income while working there...

Thanks,
AF
molson2468

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. No you can't live off the pay alone, I brought enough money down with me to cover my rent for the 6 months plus a little extra, just in case. The pay from work covered everything else. Obviously when my hours were high, I was able to buy and do more, but I still managed to see a lot of Costra Rica, no matter what I got paid (you get paid in cash every two weeks). Again, it's all about the experience and culture and not so much being able to tuck money away in a savings account. Electronics are very expensive down here, but you can find restaurants and hostel for good prices, and the bus system is super cheap. Hope this helps.
astralfrog

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

molson2468 wrote:
Good question. No you can't live off the pay alone, I brought enough money down with me to cover my rent for the 6 months plus a little extra, just in case. The pay from work covered everything else. Obviously when my hours were high, I was able to buy and do more, but I still managed to see a lot of Costra Rica, no matter what I got paid (you get paid in cash every two weeks). Again, it's all about the experience and culture and not so much being able to tuck money away in a savings account. Electronics are very expensive down here, but you can find restaurants and hostel for good prices, and the bus system is super cheap. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response, molson. It's nice to hear when people have positive experiences and good things to say about the mom-and-pop schools. People seem to get so caught up with being in a certain country that they forget that a poorly run school can turn any paradise into a negative situation.

Best,
AF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: